The Pub - Off Topic

Hot patch?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Thanks Rhys
For sharing the information you have, with others here on the Forum!
It may help future Tieton Participants understand the process.
In my earlier post I said "MY" wish was that the Gittreville group took part In the Forum discussions again, a "I" feel
it would be beneficial in promoting, and organizing, the events a Tieton.
My personal need for information from them has always been filled, as I contact them directly via phone or email
and ask!
This year I had numerous communications with Dave, who acted as a go between (almost spokesperson) attempting to keep everyone in
the loop.
Thanks again for that Dave.
Not to come off as saying that something is "Bad" but just saying that everything can be made "Better" if you keep working at it!
And this may be the case with Future Tieton events??
Another difficulty, is that we may not all be of the same opinion on the what direction we would like to see events like Tieton take.
Thus, this Forum discussion gives everyone the opportunity to throw their own 2 cents worth in as "suggestions", whether or not they
are viable or in accordance with what the "Organizers" can use or want to hear.
I personally plan to stand behind this event and will continue to promote and attend it as long as my CycleKart interest holds.
MY 2 cents worth!
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 34410 by CmdBentaxle No Brian, sorry for the confusion. When I asked, what do you do? I meant what is a guy supposed to do about communicating with G / V? Using voice to text now while driving so I better wait till later.
Thanks Dave
As Rhys and I did last night......I was typing while you were sending.
Sorry, I mis interpreted your post.........it may have been later than I thought last night, after a long day in the sun???eye rolling smiley
Brian
PS
I know you and I are usually on the same page!smileys with beer
Oh, and if anything does sideways we can always blame Denny for start this thread!
No offence Denny.........We love you man!smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-24 10:55 AM by Woodysrods.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
As you are aware Woody I have spent quite a bit of time with a good number of the G'ville guys.The first time it was a week building their cars while they got enough work done so that could actually afford to leave the business to go to Tieton at all. I think there may have been 2 of their cars I didn't have a hand in. I also loaded the big semi trailer while they finished off jobs with a couple of others involved. I then travelled up to Tieton with Doug, and back with Max, so I got to know a whole lot about the workings.
I have read a lot of criticisms on here about them, and most have come from folks who have no idea how much time, effort and money they (G'ville) have pumped into Tieton. I know that the financial books haven't come close to balancing, and I think I know who picked up the slack, as well as all the stress of putting the thing together. Some of the comments have been pretty hurtful if you/they were not of a character that can either ignore or not take umbrage. I'm not saying that's the case with the current discussion, but in the past there have been instances.

I fairly often communicate by email with them, and equally often will wait many weeks for a response. I have learned that it's the way it is, it can be frustrating while I'm wanting to know something, but to get a response is always a delight. If we didn't have the forum would we be equally critical waiting for a letter? I would never have known about these cool things if it were not for the interweb, is that a good thing? I'm sorry if I too misinterpreted your shout (capitals), I read it as a cry for others to do things.

Sometimes the way we phrase things can give an (un)intended interpretation. Our suggestions are usually well meant, but if they come as a criticism, often they will not be considered. My biggest one for Tieton (the 3 times I went) was always the lack of a winding up at the end, as folks just drifted off. I know there are usually long trips home, and most are hot, bothered, and disappointed that it's all over.

I would hope it stays going as I would really like to go back for the 10th version, but equally I will watch to see what the cars have developed into before I commit the thousands needed to attend from my meagre pension.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
This was the third year for me at Tieton and of major importance to me with thanks to those who have put it all together. There will be ups and downs in any event. It is unfortunate this thread focused on the Tieton get together. We all would like to see Tieton grow and have more events like it but without each and every entrant’s contribution and not just paying the fee to compete it falls on the organizers. Not many are willing to do that year after year without burning out. We all need to aid the Gittreville bunch and any other event organizers if this pastime is to grow. Attending includes being active in making it happen.
Al

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I have been acquiring parts for a kart.

Frankly, all the competition stuff turns me right off.

I can’t imagine I’m alone in that feeling.

My understanding of the hobby is to make some karts and goof around with family and friends.

My karts will be simple plywood boxes. Dumb, goofy cars to tool around in. I’ve no interest in, nor am I intent on, racing.
All this harping on fancy cars and racing being the future of the sport sure gives me pause about posting. I imagine others feel the same way?

Anywho.

Peace,
Captain Pedal Car

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
Robert,
What you are saying is as much of a part of Cyclekart as the competing it brings pleasure to ones self. It's a low cost way to put together something that inspires you. I like to put things together than stand back to enjoy and nothing gives me more pleasure than to see the looks on young people faces when they sit in mine. Racing with others is just another visual thing whether I an sitting in the seat or watching others drive it. Please stick with this forum find a old race car to build and do what is of interest to you.
Al

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Al,

Stuck with the forum. I try to stay out of the cyclekart board proper, as I’m not doing that, per se, but I do like the idea.

To that end, I’ve chosen a few old cars to emulate. I just need to finish the build I am working on, first.

Also, I was hopefully expressing an opinion others share, and guessing as to why participation is low.

Peace,
Robert

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Ok, so a little bit more on the subject.
I feel like maybe we have begun to polarize around differing views and agendas, as individualy, we begin to find
where we fit into this community. Some are drawn to the simplicity and accessibility that the originators, the Stevenson's intended. For others, such an approach is just too elementary to captivate the imagination. They love the challenge, and desire the outcome that a complex build represents. Of course there are all points in between.

To all I say. Build it for yourself, they way you will enjoy the process.
But above all, give it life. Get to driving it, for it is then that they all turn out to be pretty much alike.
Silly little toy cars that never fail to bring a smile to all but the most jaded and cynical faces.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Well said Dave.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
I concur Rhys, for me building is a big part of the fun, but I hate having to rework things, which is why I want to get things clear in my head before I start, and not set a deadline. Of course at the moment work, and other bits of life are getting in the way of fun, another reason for no deadline, the unpredictability of my current lifestyle.

Chris

Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 34437 by chrisenamels I concur Rhys, for me building is a big part of the fun, but I hate having to rework things, which is why I want to get things clear in my head before I start, and not set a deadline. Of course at the moment work, and other bits of life are getting in the way of fun, another reason for no deadline, the unpredictability of my current lifestyle.

Chris

Chris,

The more I buzz around on my scooter, the more I want to find a wrecked on to make into the back half of a Morgan.
Only, here, I can make a “special” out of a motorbike. Theoretically, then, I can use a, day, 250cc scooter, and build a lightweight side by side road legal “kart”.
Oh, man, wouldn’t that be a hoot!

I’ve got an old Yamaha shaft drive motorbike in the driveway for just such a project, but a smaller, cycleCAR style Morgan copy would be cool, and a great way to get around town, eh?

Anyway, that’s not cyclekarts, is it? smiling smiley

Peace,
Robert

P.S. I do sometimes think about making a “real” race-car type cyclekart. I think I should make a plain, simple, to spec racer and tool it around, like some kind of Pied Piper. An Austin 7 Special or a raced out GN would make good, quick, nice looking cars. I can think of 6 guys in my “neighborhood” I might could induce to build karts.
There’s a dirt field, and some large paved lots nearby.
I imagine six cats rolling gokarts around together would tend to draw attention, yeah?
What if we all did that? winking smiley

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Robert,

I think I've settled on an Austin 7 Ulster as the kart after the Morgan, but I've got lots to do before I can even start building, work and life is getting in the way!

Chris

Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 34447 by chrisenamels Robert,

I think I've settled on an Austin 7 Ulster as the kart after the Morgan, but I've got lots to do before I can even start building, work and life is getting in the way!

Chris

Oh, yes! Mine, of course, must needs be two wheel drive, two seats, and be “trialsed” out. smiling smiley Love them, love them!

Peace,
Robert

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links