AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Was out in the barn workin' on the front spring pockets for the Riley
most of the morning. I was tuned into the local station that covers
racing on Sunday. This week, the Charlotte 400.......but this time,
stock car racing with 17 turns, 'stead of 4 (more like 2 usually).
One gets tired of or should I say, dizzy, from watching cars going
round and round in a left turn circle.
This is exciting racing now, only took them a 40 years to rediscover
that road courses are much more challenging for a team and much
more interesting for the spectator. Speeds down to 80 then up to
180 mph and 35 foot elevation changes.
So I turned off the torch, locked up the barn door, grabbed a cool one
and will remain parked it in front of the T&V for the afternoon.
Might add, I was just made aware that NASCAR had been running
scheduled road races at Watkins Glen for some years. Guess I didn't
know that cuz I never was a real big fan of stock cars. I've always sort
of associated them with the Demolition Derby at the local Santa Fe park.
DG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-30 07:01 PM by Denny Graham.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
I gave up NASCAR and F1. It's not racing, it's dollar fueled computer design, nasa wind tunnel tested advertising. I just don't sponsor any sport now days that I have to finance a ticket for. Give me an afternoon of lawnmower racing. I really miss when all of it was actually racing.

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Hi Denny
I was excited when I read the first line of your post........."working on the Riley again"!
But, then that "getting old thing" kicked in, where we choose the couch and a cold or
hot beverage to enjoy while watching what we used to do. eye rolling smiley
I say this as I sit out the couch with my hot chocolate on this rainy Sunday, trying to guilt
myself into going out to the shop to work on the Miller.
The beauty of retirement is that Monday is much the same as Sunday anyway.
Good to see you posting.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Watch that negativity Michael, it can get ya into trouble here. What professional racing these days
isn't into high tech and the big bucks??? That's the nature of the beast and that's why all us old
burned out gearheads are hangin' out here now a days.
Wonderful race, lots of excitement and surprises, with no body getting hurt, other than their egos.

All things heal in time Brian. Just have to watch what I say. I seem to have a knack for ruffling
feathers cuz I say it like I see it. Even Sweetie Face takes what I say the wrong way and tells
me all the time that I shouldn't post what I feel. Think I'll have her edit everything I post.

Yep, like you, I've had a busy summer. The grass, tree trimming and yard clean up is slowing down.
I'm 'bout to finish up the gas piping and furnace install on the east end of my shop, then I'll have heat
in the whole barn this winter. That all means I've been able to sneak in a few evenings to work on the
kart lately.
DG

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
Napcar....it's boring

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Well Bruce, I would have to agree with you about the old line 'em up in a row and
go round in a circle, but this race on the new Roval certainly wasn't boring.
What is it exactly that you expect from an auto racing event??
DG

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
By not boring I guess you mean them dummies forgetting a flat turns coming....just another wreckfest..I just looked at the highlights.

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
It's just boring sorry. I mean if you can go to Atlanta, rent time in a Nascar clone, go 150mph while you're getting yout video, and pictures taken, I just can't get impressed. Now if they were renting F1 time, I admit I might go for that. At least it's not go fast turn left. I just find grass roots racing more enjoyable, more fair to those without all the money, and I don't have to spend a percentage of my hard earned money to pay for advertising on a car, pay a drivers salary, and sell T shirts. Face it, almost all major league sports have become nothing more than a venue for advertising. I just won't support or endorse.

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 35560 by MichaelR It's just boring sorry. I mean if you can go to Atlanta, rent time in a Nascar clone, go 150mph while you're getting yout video, and pictures taken, I just can't get impressed. Now if they were renting F1 time, I admit I might go for that. At least it's not go fast turn left. I just find grass roots racing more enjoyable, more fair to those without all the money, and I don't have to spend a percentage of my hard earned money to pay for advertising on a car, pay a drivers salary, and sell T shirts. Face it, almost all major league sports have become nothing more than a venue for advertising. I just won't support or endorse.
Then you are going to love the diverse racings styles and thrills of CycleKart racing at 40 to 50 mph.
They are twitchy, rattly, and close to the ground.
Brian

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Exactly what I was thinking. It's not so much the machine as the level of daring do, skilled driving technique, and cat like reflexes of those involved.........wait........am I in over my head? LOL

rctankboy2 Keith G
Leesburg, VA, USA   USA
Growing up in the Daytona area back in the early Petty days forward, you'd hear the race cars 10 miles away. The 24 hours was your lullaby when you went to bed. My pop was on a dirt track racing team, and Id go with him and help do pit crew at 5 years old. (I didnt know he was a moonshiner in his youth.)

Comparing the two? Ill take the old dirt track. That was racing, in all its gritty, dirty (and dirty tricks), fender-swapping, bumper mangling glory. It was a short track, and you couldnt really tune the suspension until you were pretty sure the track was dry (or not). I spent many a weekend on a go kart or atv recreating those races in the backwood trails before everything was cut down and paved. Its a wonder I didnt end up driving a race car. A miracle, really.

Whenever the rewards for any sport go from bragging rights to high dollar compensation; the competition aspect leaves the track and goes to the computer. Give me the demolition derbies, the figure 8 tracks, the bus racing, the cyclekarts, and mower races. Anything where there budget is tight and the creativity is high? That's racing to me.

geezerduck Avatar
geezerduck Tom Petry
Montclair, CA, USA   USA
Dirt tracks are still fun. NASCAR should put those cars out on a 1/2 mile clay oval and really bring back the history.

Life is good on the lunatic fringe, Tom

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Wanna make an interesting NASCAR race? Have a 500 miler driving cars right off the showroom floor. Let them change the tires and rims, throw in a roll cage, and remove the lights. That's it. Let us see what they got when they run what we got.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Wow Michael, what an idea! What the hey, they could call that "Stock Car Racing".
I'm afraid the true "Stock Car" lost its true meaning many, many decades ago.
I could be wrong, but I'd bet the only true "Stock Car" event one could find
now a days on a dirt oval would be the Demolition Durby.
The end to actual "Stock Car" racing was probably shortly after the 1902 races
that Ransom E. Olds and Alexander Winston staged down on a sandy beach in Florida.
Off hand I can't think of any sport or human endeavor that is not subject to evolution.
It just seems to be the way that mother nature programmed us....in spite of what we
say we want.
Oh, oh....the mutts tuggin' at my pj's, better take her out for her morning constitutional,
then.....maybe the warm milk will have kicked in and I can get a little more shut eye
before sun up.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-19 03:17 AM by Denny Graham.

geezerduck Avatar
geezerduck Tom Petry
Montclair, CA, USA   USA
The trouble today is that all of the racing organizations want "parity" and what you end up with is a bunch of the same cars with different paint jobs and possibility of slightly different body trim that are all basically identical. They may as well just create a single car for each type of racing and eliminate the differences altogether. The best racing seems to be the "open wheel" dirt cars. Sprint cars, Midgets and Outlaw Sprints with wings. Generally good close racing, noisy and borderline out of control. I love old school drag racing, (front engined dragsters, fuel altereds, gassers and early style altered wheelbase "match race cars"winking smiley. but drag racing will never be a good TV spectator sport due to the unpredictable time delays from oil downs and the necessary track cleanup. The best way for racing to be fun is to remove as many rules as possible and take the corporate sponsorship away. It's always been about who was best, but it's really about doing it, not watching.

Life is good on the lunatic fringe, Tom

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1921 CycleKart German

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links