CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

Pedal car

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Frazetti Avatar
Frazetti Kurt Seedhouse
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
Being a Wood Guy I marvel at the build. Thank you for sharing.

smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
stegla Stephen G
Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK   GBR
Kurt, thanks for the encourageing words.

Today I've made the wooden steering wheel.
The rim is 3 laminations of steam bent cedar. Ash spokes and plywood hub.

I cut the grooves in the rim for the spokes with a biscuit jointer and shaped the rim with a router.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF1994.JPG    70.2 KB
DSCF1994.JPG

DSCF1995.JPG    82.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCF1996.JPG    66.2 KB
DSCF1998.JPG    32.5 KB
Frazetti Avatar
Frazetti Kurt Seedhouse
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
I haven't made my steering wheel yet.

I might just have to follow your example.

Thank you for the inspiration smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
greggkishline Gregg Kishline
Kenosha, WI, USA   USA
Perhaps you will discuss the process of making your composite leaf springs. I have often wondered about using fiberglass to make a one-piece leaf spring.

The calculations, the materials, the process, ... very interesting. Tell us about it.

Very nice work. The 3-car build I took on was originally a pedal car project - evolved into a static display - 50% scale Watson Indy roadsters. But I would like to explore
pre-WWII 'big'cars' in scale.

stegla Stephen G
Hello Greg,

Love your work.

Here's some info on the leaf springs here.............look at post #10

http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,22007

I made a test spring first and then altered the number of layers to get the strength I wanted. No calculations. You can also remove some material to reduce the rate if neccessary.

Steve

stegla Stephen G
I actually enjoy planking with cedar strips....... is this normal or should I seek professional help?

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF0088.JPG    66.9 KB
DSCF0088.JPG

DSCF0089.JPG    60.5 KB
DSCF0090.JPG    54.6 KB
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Steve,

It's normal, trust me I'm a model maker, and I quite enjoy it, but then maybe I'm a bit odd. They say you have to be a bit mad to stay sane, and my friends reckon I'm saner than most people. winking smiley

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
The only insanity will be when you cover all that beautiful wood with color. Only my opinion just saying.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

greggkishline Gregg Kishline
Kenosha, WI, USA   USA
This technique allows for some serious compound shaping. Two weeks ago, I was faced with repairing a saddle-shaped fiberglass bumper corner, maybe 6 x 12" - material simply gone. Thin wooden strips ( about 12 of them) were riveted onto the exposed edges, carrying across the gap. Laid parallel, they gave a very close approximation of the shape of the missing area. I did a wet lay-up of resin and matting. After removing the wood strips (backing), more matting/resin was added and rivet holes filled. Very little filler was needed to finish off the face.

I'm mulling another scaled car - approx 48" wheelbase - using this 'wooden lath' technique, as applied to the edges of particle board X-sections developed off a 1:18 scale model. Last one I built, I used foam. I think wood strips next time around. Finish off the buck with filler and then do a wet lay-up. Maybe make a mold, as well.

This technique yields very pleasing aesthetic results, over long spans. Your not crazy - you're an artist.

Stay with it, more photos, puh-lease

stegla Stephen G
Oh well............there's hope yetsmiling smiley

When planking, the block plane works well to bevel the cedar strips for a tight fit.
The paint stripper can be used to heat a strip to introduce curve and or twist if needed..... particularly around the boat tail.

The car, as it stands in the above pictures, weighs 9Kg (20lb). I want the finished car to come in at under 25Kg. The Austin J40 pedal car weighs 39Kgeye popping smiley

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF0092.JPG    53.9 KB
DSCF0092.JPG

Toy+Austin2.jpg    49.7 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 22664 by stegla I actually enjoy planking with cedar strips....... is this normal or should I seek professional help?
Steve
=======================================================
Hello Steve,
My humble and dilettante opinion: if you are not restricted just to CEDAR strips - then, you are straight, meaning you are not pervert!

BTW, our old sentence (translated from Serbian): “Who do not become crazy – isn't normal, for sure”, or another variant “I would become insane if I wasn't crazy!”...
To be quite normal dreaming about CycleKart or building it, not to mention driving one?
--- ---
I never worked with cedar, but mostly with fir or pine, a few times with mahogany...
I gathered material and planed to start building pedal-car for my step-grandson, with wooden monocoque chassis/body – but I am afraid that it wouldn't be so classy as your is!
Many decades I didn't build any flying or baot model, and all of them that we built was quite modest and with prepared components (my brother was more advanced in that). Small boat that I started is just full-size model to test some ideas and our desire to water cruises over nearby lake...

If kid-car be successfuly operative and cute in some way – I would be satisfied – and even more if step-grandson and his parents accept it!
I am afraid that weight of 25 kg should be unreachable task, so it would be good if it was below 39 kg that Austin J40 pedal car has!
–- ---
Just one question about bonding and twisting of wooden strips using heat-gun (paint stripper): I red about that, but I forgot what surface is heated: inside or outside, meaning at direction of bonding/twisting? (I think that I should heat surface that is under stretching forces – outside of curve?)

Ciao,
Zoran

P.S.: Just to repaeat - your woodwork skill and results are magnificent!

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

stegla Stephen G
Hello Zoran,

I place the heat-gun on the workbench and hold the cedar strip in my hands and apply twist and or bend to the piece. The wood needs to be held about 50mm 2" from the heat-gun nozzle. The heat softens the wood and after it cools it's new shape is held.

I like using cedar because it is very lightweight, easy to work and the smell is heavenly.

Steve

stegla Stephen G
Making Bugatti style 8-spoke wheels, out of wood, with a bike wheel rim to accept a pneumatic tyre.

Photo 1.........3mm plywood items are routed to shape, using either a trammel for circles.

Photo 2.........Or a template for the 8-spoke shape.

Photo 3........Ash spokes are a nice tight fit and provide the strength of the wheel.

Photo 4........Glued and clamped.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF0095.JPG    48.9 KB
DSCF0095.JPG

DSCF0094.JPG    46.6 KB
DSCF0093.JPG    55.2 KB
DSCF0097.JPG    58.6 KB
stegla Stephen G
Shaped the knock-offs with a router.

Getting plenty of help with this build from a couple of up-and-coming racing drivers, keen to see the project finished.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF0098.JPG    37.1 KB
DSCF0098.JPG

DSCF0103.JPG    58.8 KB
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 22674 by stegla

That little A40 is the most delightful pedal car I have ever seen!
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1931 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links