CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

That's a lot of front suspension and steering parts

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
Way back when I started my cyclekart, I was talking with Woody about how many little parts I had to fabricate for the front end. It seemed like a lot.
Recently, I decided to take the front suspension of my Quadricycle replica (the original cyclecar?) apart and refinish the parts.
On the original car, they appear to be bare metal. I couldn't do that because here in South Florida, the salt air and humidity would rust those parts in about 37 seconds. So I painted them with some satin Rustoleum clear.
They looked great for a while, then they started to get rusty spots showing through the paint. It kind of looked like the patina that a real 122 year old car would have, but as it got worse, I didn't like it.
I bought some good automotive clear enamel with hardener and stripped them all down and repainted them.
There are a LOT of parts in this suspension. In the first pic, you can see the tiller, steering arm, link, bell crank, two tie rods, steering arms, spindles w/bushings and the axle. In the second pic I already assembled the top parts of the spring and the parts for the bottom are there on the floor.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Quad front end parts 002.jpg    29.3 KB
Quad front end parts 002.jpg

Quad front end parts 003.jpg    41.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Quadricycle 5-12-16 002.jpg    52.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bansil Doug H
Mnt City, USA   USA
That's cool, you have a build thread for it? (Other than the 3 pics in your sig line?)

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
No, I built that in 2015-16, before I found this website.

There is this little video I put together.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
When an attorney friend of mine was trying to get the bare metal parts to look original he had the same problem with paint. Either the paint didn't look right, didn't hold up, or just plain wrong. Back in the early 80's I dabbled with building muzzleloading rifles and they didn't use bluing, they used what was called browning. Now originally you took the parts, burried them in the ground and waited for a really light coat of rust to show up, buffed it lightly and oiled the heck out of it. Kinda dramatic and risky now days, but Birchwood Casey who makes gun refinishing products sells it in liquid form. You heat the part wipe it down with the liquid and voila! It gives the parts a patina effect, but descourages rusting. It's kinda like pre rusting the part then oiling heck out of it while warm. It really looks great.

Attachments:
plumbrown.jpeg    20.9 KB
plumbrown.jpeg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You know Rick, that tiller arm is a great idea for a cyclecart. One arm sticking straight up, the lock to lock on a cyclecart is short so it's only going to go from 10 to 2.

Makes for nice quick driver changes.

S'all for now!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1920 CycleKart Pre War

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links