The Pub - Off Topic

Who the heck are Ya?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
This is only my third winter here on the forum, but I don’t remember November and
December being this dead in the past. It’s got me wondering if everybody is bailing out
and using Face Book as their new drop zone? So since it’s Deadsville here and I got a
few minutes to let me supper settle, and this is the 'Pub', I think I’ll take the opportunity
to post something that’s been on my mind for a while. I always wonder just who some
of you guys or gals are here on the forum. I mean, what sort of hobbies did you have
before you got bit by the Cyclekart bug? Are you still working or not, and if not what
sort of work occupies your spare time when you’re not thinking about these here Karts?
What age group do you fall into? There are six you know.
GI-1901-26 (Not many of these still capable of driving),
Mature/Silents-1927-45 (Still think they're good drivers),
Baby Boomers-1946-64,
Generation-X-1965-80,
Generation Y/Millenniuim-1981-2000,
Generation Z/Boomlets-Born afer 2001.
A partial quote from a site on the net talks about our different interests, habits, etc.,
it’s much to lengthy to post all of it here but if you find it interesting, I’ll link you to it.
“In America, there are six living generations, which are six fairly distinct groups of people.
As a generalization each generation has different likes, dislikes, and attributes. They have
had collective experiences as they aged and therefore have similar ideals. A person’s birth date
may not always be indicative of their generational characteristics, but as a common group they
have similarities.”
http://www.marketingteacher.com/the-six-living-generations-in-america/
DG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-13 06:53 PM by Denny Graham.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Neto Ernest B
Berlin, OH, USA   USA
I was born smack in the middle of the Baby Boomers (1955).
Quote: Born between 1946 and 1964. Two sub-sets:
1. the save-the-world revolutionaries of the ’60s and ’70s;
and 2. the party-hardy career climbers (Yuppies) of the ’70s/’80s.
The “me” generation.
“Rock and roll” music generation.
Ushered in the free love and societal “non-violent” protests which triggered violence.
Self righteous & self-centered.
Buy it now and use credit.
Too busy for much neighborly involvement yet strong desires to reset or change the common values for the good of all.
Even though their mothers were generally housewives, responsible for all child rearing, women of this generation began working outside the home in record numbers, thereby changing the entire nation as this was the first generation to have their own children raised in a two-income household where mom was not omnipresent.
The first TV generation.
The first divorce generation, where divorce was beginning to be accepted as a tolerable reality.
Began accepting homosexuals.
Optimistic, driven, team-oriented.
Envision technology and innovation as requiring a learning process.
Tend to be more positive about authority, hierarchal structure and tradition.
One of the largest generations in history with 77 million people.
Their aging will change America almost incomprehensibly; they are the first generation to use the word “retirement” to mean being able to enjoy life after the children have left home. Instead of sitting in a rocking chair, they go skydiving, exercise and take up hobbies, which increases their longevity.
The American Youth Culture that began with them is now ending with them and their activism is beginning to re-emerge.

Me:
Previous hobbies: auto restoration, recently returned to this, after moving the car I purchased in 1980 900 + miles across the country to where I live now.
Spent 18 years in Brazil, living with a small tribe of Indians (Bible translation).
Listened to Western Swing until I got into Jesus People music (Christian Rock) during my Freshman college year (1974-75).
Never did any kind of drugs. Only ever kissed one woman (or girl), my wife, whom I met when I was 26.
Have never had a loan (other than a student loan during college, ended with about $3,300.00 debt). Have never had a personal credit card – absolutely no credit rating of any kind.
My wife never worked outside the home until our youngest child was in HS (other than in the same missionary work in which I was involved), and then only part-time. (She home-schooled our children any time we were living in the Indian village.)
Never had a television in our home.
(Conservative, traditional Biblical view on the religious issue mentioned.)

I got interested in cycle Karts because I have been interested in cycle cars and boat-tail racers since JR High or at least since HS, in the early 70’s. I may still build one someday, but right now I need to complete the rebuild job on my 1946 Plymouth.

smallboregarage Avatar
smallboregarage Chuck Kraeuter
Portland, OR, USA   USA

70s, plastic scale model kits
80s, bicycle road racing
90s, vintage motorcycle road racing
00s, adult soapbox derbies
I was building a mutoscope when I heard about cyclekarts

Still work as a product designer and machinist

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    28.8 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    57.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Wow Ernest, that certainly sounds like you've had an interesting run and
now I feel I know you a lot better than I did yesterday. Glad to know ya. Thanks

Well Chuck, if '61 is the year you were hatched, then I'm old enough to be yo daddy.
Now if that's your age......well......I'm still old enough to be yo daddy.
That's an orfull expensive toy that you're letting the kids play with. I hope you're not
going to try to get that thru tech inspection at Tieton next year!!!! Thanks
DG

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
The mutt just took me out for an early morning walk about. While I'm having a warm milk so
I can get back to sleep, I suppose since I started this I might as well jump in the water now also.
'42....no....that's not my age, born back then which makes me 76 now and shooting for 100.
And I might just make it, if I don't die first!
I've had an interest in just about everything around me ever since I can remember, which was
about 3 or 4. Of course Revell played a big part in my youth also. WWII Planes, tall ships and
the auto which had a lasting influence on me. As a teen, I messed with go karts, cars and like
most of my greaser buddies that I grew up with, spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and
wild women. The other half I wasted. By 18 I knew it all..... so I never made it to thru the doors
of a real collage. Then I spent the rest of my life trying to make up for it. I worked the parts
counters for Chevy and an auto parts store till my 20's then did a four year stint in the USAF.
Tried finding my way back after service by serving a sheet metal apprenticeship and working
nights in the family machine/welding shop. Always been interested in electronics and I
picked up some training while in the military. Was running midgets in the 70's when I met
Sweetie face. Got bored with driving round in circles so we both earned our pilots licence
and I commenced on a decade of homebuilt plane building and aerobatic flying. I divorced
myself from the family business in the late 70's and signed on at our National Accelerator Laboratory
in Batavia, IL I work there as a welder, inspector, CMM programmer and Sr. mechanical tech for the
next 30 years while raising our one and only off spring. She's a peach and about to make me a
76 year old grandpa for the first time in February.
During my tenure at the lab I spent much of my idle time collecting vintage radio and old machinery.
I get a bang out of refurbishing that old stuff, and....dang.... I still get a warm feeling when I bring
one of them back to life today.
So with another 24 to go....who knows what other things I might sample. But for this decade,
the plan is, a couple of Cyclekarts.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Okay Denny
As it is my quiet time just before I go to bed........and about time for you to get up,I thought I might just join in the sharing!
And Yes, the Forums a little slow lately, and I must say I have had little CK news to report lately!sad smiley
But here goes:
Born 1952...66 years young.
Been building cars for 51 years.......Vintage Restorations, Customs, Street Rods, Rat Rods, Speedsters, Gravity Racers,
Dune Buggys, Bush T's, etc........................and now "CycleKarts".
Besides my interest in cars I have been heavily involved in "Building, Travelling, and Camping in Teardrop Trailers"
My whole life has been spent in Clubs of some sort and organizing events.
My working carrier (college to change of life at age 42) was spent working in "Public Recreation" at the Municipal level.
The last 24 years has been spent in Private Business building Street Rods & Restoring Cars professionally.
Currently trying to juggle 3 major hobbies at one time and being "Retired".
I still maintain my Street Rod Restoration business, run my Farm, travel with our Teardrop, organize events, and work on
which ever of my projects that peaks my interest the most on any given day (current project count stands at 19).
My latest project is a 1962 MGA MKII that I am doing a full ground up restoration on c/w a V6 and 5 Spd conversion.
Just have a hard time leaving anything stock anymore????eye rolling smiley
Hope to finish both the CycleKart and the MGA by spring........Justin time for Camping season to begin.confused smiley
I have a lovely wife of 15 year, and between us we have 5 adult children ages 31 to 39 (my oldest son's 39th Birthday today!) and
4 Grandchildren.
I love to travel, drink red wine, have beers with my car friends, camp with my teardrop friends, and become a kid again with my new
CycleKart friends in these lovable little machines.thumbs up
Hope that this helps those who read this, to know a little bit more about what I do and where I am coming from.
Good Roads
Brian...... "Woody"
PS
We have attended 3 "Christmas Light Ups" in the past two weeks (B.C. and Washington State)......might become a new hobby. smileys with beer

Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Oi.

Gen X.

Left home at 15. Returned several times to help mom, but never stayed. Pops bounced when I was young.

Raced push bikes, and worked as a push bike mechanic for more than 20 years. A few world championships have been won on bikes I tuned (a few I made wheels for...). No, I never won any championships. Haha. I do have a few nice medals, though, and I’m a multi time Ironman. That’s 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run. In one day. smiling smiley

I went to college twice. I have two worthless, expensive pieces of paper. My edumication is in art/design and anthropology.

I have been a boat builder since the first stint in college. I’ve built dozens of canoes, kayaks, rowboats and wee sailboats over the years.

I broke my back some years ago, and have been semi crippled and retired since (I have a partially dead left leg, and sciatica like you wouldn’t believe). I lost my home and retirement egg to medical bills, and can’t really work, so I fumble along.

We’ve three kids, two boys and a girl. Daughter is a highly competitive softball player, and Oldest Son is a video gamer. I know, but he gets paid! Weird.

Youngest Son is who I’m building the pedal car for. The pedal car is how I found this place.

I’m not in any way a car guy (aside from the fact I can work on them), so this is all new to me. And it is just TOO cool. I’ve been through a few inspiration cars so far, but I chose before I really knew what was out there.

Shoot, I left out my wife and I owned a 67 beetle for the first 15 years. We got 100,000+ miles from the same, unopened, 1600 single port. Change the oil, check the valves, and torque the heads! Hahaha.

New Year should see me finally start of the kart proper, as the pedal car should be done. I told Gifting elf I want some wheels for Gifting day. I need other things more than toy parts, though. Haha.

And building a new foamie teardrop for softball trips next year... weird, eh? smiling smiley I’ve done that a few times, too. My current camping jag is motorbike camping with a hammock. We are inveterate campers.

Peace,
Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-14 08:26 AM by Carty McCartFace.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Way to go Brian, thanks for jumpin' in and giving us all a little better understanding
of who we're talking to every other day....or whenever you manage to squeeze in
a minute for the forum.
Just what you need.....another hobby!!! And like you've said before....we could have
been brothers in another life because of the similarities. Cept you're much more
of a doer than I am....and....much more social.
Best flip a coin at the breakfast table and get goin' on....one of those projects that
wins the toss.
Gday,
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Must take some drastic adjustment to go from an active Iron Man life to a semi-sedentary
forced retirement and consummate family man. Sounds like you get plenty of support from
the family. But being just a youngster....you've got a long why to go and plenty of time to
heal and learn new ways. I went thru a bout with sciatica last Summer that lasted about
a month. Left leg would give out on me and wouldn't support me much of the time and I
had one 'ell of a time sleeping. So I can sympathize with what you're living with.
And even if you're not in the six figure income bracket....if ya'll just keep on pluggin' along,
one day all those little projects finally bear fruit. Remember, you move a mountain one
shovel full at a time.
Thanks for dippin' your toe in the water.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 36667 by Denny Graham Must take some drastic adjustment to go from an active Iron Man life to a semi-sedentary
forced retirement and consummate family man. Sounds like you get plenty of support from
the family. But being just a youngster....you've got a long why to go and plenty of time to
heal and learn new ways. I went thru a bout with sciatica last Summer that lasted about
a month. Left leg would give out on me and wouldn't support me much of the time and I
had one 'ell of a time sleeping. So I can sympathize with what you're living with.
And even if you're not in the six figure income bracket....if ya'll just keep on pluggin' along,
one day all those little projects finally bear fruit. Remember, you move a mountain one
shovel full at a time.
Thanks for dippin' your toe in the water.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Denny,

Just life. Life lifes, and we make the most of it, if we play right. Shoot, I find the joy in every day. Even if it’s only being able to walk that day. Hahaha.

The best part of being an Ironman, though, is the brute hardheadedness it requires. Pain? Haha. My best friend. Tired? Yep, my bike is two tired. Quit? Wazzat? winking smiley

Two other things:
If I had a bunch of money, I’d want a GN/Frazer Nash. That chain transmission drives me wild. I think it may be the coolest car I’ve ever seen because of the chains. What a wild idea. Now, I own no car. I own two motorbikes, and my wife owns a car. She lets me use it, though. smiling smiley

And, the cyclekart. Didn’t mention that, did I? Bloody Mary. With two chained together 80cc engines. I mean, was there ever a better car for a plywood tub build? And, if you’re going to have all those exhaust pipes, they’d better be real, eh?
The two engine idea came from my smart friend. He made the spindles for my pedal car. He’s a metal wizard like you lot. I’m a wood wizard.

If I manage the relatively simple BM, I’ll try and tackle the Lion-Peugeot...

Peace,
Robert

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Well Robert, I'd like not to drift to fur away from what the purpose of this thread
was for......but.....if your truly interested in the GN chain "transmission" then you
might check out this guys six part build of a 2- speed go kart. This would fit exactly
into the cyclekart platform and really make a great final drive for a kart inspired by
a GN. The design isn't perfect and would need some refinement, but the principle
is good.
A shifter wouldn't be fair to the rest of the CK gang so I don't think you would be
welcomed with open arms at any of their get together's.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL
part 1:

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, WA, USA   USA
1927 Nash Legion Special "Legion Special"
Good ol 1989 for me. Im probably one of the younger cyclekart builders haha

I grew up around old cars, my dad has a 1965 impala SS, so I guess I can thank him for all this! In high school I took all of the metal and auto shop classes I could and my senior year I was the TA for both of those classes. Out of high school the metal shop teacher was able to hook me up with a job at a local machinist shop where I worked for a couple years before I join the Navy. I spent 4 1/2 of the next 5 years living in Naples Italy where I met my wife, she was active duty as well not Italian. While in Italy I restored 2 classic minis and had a couple buddies that had minis as well, in total we restored 4!
I got off active duty, still in the reserves now, and moved back to Washington state and I started work in the IT field. We bought our first little house, it was a POS foreclosed house, but the price was right and I spent the next year and a half remodeling it. Ended up selling it a making a sizeable amount, so the mrs let me buy a car ive chasing since I was 16; my dads friends 1967 Camaro RS that had been sitting in a garage since the early 80s.
Myself and anthony got bit by the Cyclekart bug and built the Fiat Gipsy and now im working on the Legion Special.

between my job (im a Cyber Security Engineer), wife, 2 young kinds, and the camaro I dont get a whole lot of time to work on the cyclekart. We usually end up waiting until a month or two before Tieton and then work like crazy to get the kart ready in time haha so I dont post as often as id like!

anywho, that was longer than planned. Good to know you dudes!

"Cool" Car List:
1964 impala
1978 Corvette
1968 Firebird
2010 GTI
1980 Mini Clubman Estate
1990 Mini
1986 AE86
2001 S2000
1972 240Z (Still Have)
1967 Camaro RS (Still Have)

Cyclekarts:
1929 Fiat Gipsy
1927 Nash Legion Special

"Magic Man"

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special
"Build" Thread - https://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,26661

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Got lots of time today cuz I'm waiting on a UPS delivery this afternoon, then
I can finish up the balancing of the Riley's front wheels. And I'm havin' a lot
of trouble getting motivated today also.
But...don't they always come out longer than planned Justin, the replies I mean.
I'm probably about the best example of long winded posters, to the point that it
even irritates some. However, I really hate leaving a half finished thought.
I was hoping that I'd left the home building behind me back in my 40's when
we built a new house on the airport....but noooooo, I had to start all over again
when I hit 70 out here at Shangri La. A house, a yard, a family, some livestock
and a half dozen hobbies all put a crimp in the sport of kart building.
In some ways I envy your youth because your not even half way thru life and
you have so many things to look forward to. Then again, old age does bring
lots of experience.....and a little dementia so you don't feel like you've missed
anything.
The classic/vintage cars/trucks are fun to work with but sure do suck a lot out
of the old pocket book. I've been driving Old Blue, my '50 for more than a decade.
My '54 is on the back burner for now cuz I'm having a hard time justifying the outflow
of cash for a second one.
Thanks for posting some about your self.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
I can't remember a time when I wasn't into cars. When my dad bought me a slot car racing set when I was six, I really got into racing. Then he took me to Road America, Lynndale Farms, and the Milwaukee Mile as a kid. I was hooked. When I was 13, my dad bought a '67 Mustang. I thought that was just the coolest thing you could have. That same car became my second car when I was 18.
Since that time, I've been a Ford guy. I had a '68 Cougar, a '73 Mustang ragtop, a '74 Capri, a '64 Cyclone, and somewhere along the way, I became aware of Cobra replicas. I had always liked Cobras since seeing them race.
Well, a friend of mine dug up info on an obscure Cobra replica company in Indiana that was probably going under. One thing led to another and I soon had a project in my garage. It took me two years to finish that car, and when it was done I needed something to do with it. So I started running autocrosses. That led to meeting people who were sports car racing. The next project was a Capri prepared for F production road racing. That was great fun, and I did it for six years before selling that car and building a Thunderbird sportsman stock car for a touring series in the midwest. Circle track racing is fun and exciting, but expensive. Raising a family is not compatible with a hobby like that. So I sold the stock car and bought a sailboat. Before you know it, I was racing that. Once the racing bug bites, you can't get away from it.
Since 2000, I got into building things in my garage. The first thing was a replica of Henry Ford's Quadricycle. When that was done, I built a replica of the first Harley. I sold both of those and the Quadricycle ended up in the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville. Since I don't have a big shop, but just a 2 car garage, small vehicles like that have been what I do. Another Harley, this one with a v-twin, and another Quadricycle followed, then I decided to build a mini Model T for my grand kids. One day I was searching the net for something for the Model T, and I discovered cyclekarts and the fact that guys my age race them! You know the rest. The bug is still there.

This project has been totally different from the rest in that building replicas, I always tried to make them as authentic as I could. The cyclekart is something I could design myself, while making it resemble the inspiration car. I really enjoyed that, and I'm really looking forward to racing it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 07:57 PM by 1908Rick.

Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 36669 by Denny Graham Well Robert, I'd like not to drift to fur away from what the purpose of this thread
was for......but.....if your truly interested in the GN chain "transmission" then you
might check out this guys six part build of a 2- speed go kart. This would fit exactly
into the cyclekart platform and really make a great final drive for a kart inspired by
a GN. The design isn't perfect and would need some refinement, but the principle
is good.
A shifter wouldn't be fair to the rest of the CK gang so I don't think you would be
welcomed with open arms at any of their get together's.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL
part 1:

Denny,

Sweet! Haha. In the Custom Forum is the thread, such as it is, about my pedal car. There is a picture of the dog type clutch I abandoned, but based loosely on them GN type transmission.

I’d really love to build a full sized replica of one, someday. Maybe another lifetime or two to develop skills?

Anyway, we can discuss shifting and drifting and whatever else on the pedal car thread. I care not about topical drift, provided it’s somewhat relevant. Car type drift. Hehe.

Peace,
Robert

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1928 CycleKart Vintage

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links