The Pub - Off Topic

Who the heck are Ya?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

littletex Avatar
littletex Blake Martindale
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Little Tex here,
I am from the tail end of the baby boomers 1963. I'm in my mid fifties retired from the U.S. Navy. Worked in the Inventory Control field for ten years now I work part time in a Laundromat living on a semi fixed income. No mortgage or car payments so my greatest expenses are my utilities and medical related things and the ladder is quite enough. I am what is referred to as an an old conservative christian white guy, Depending on who you ask I;m what makes America great again or I'm what's wrong with America and that my way of thinking is obsolete and outdated. I love all thing transportation related I've dabbled in model train,planes,boats,cars was never really good at any of it but I enjoy trying. Grew up around old cars most my formidable years as my brothers and father monkeyed around with them most their lives and I have owned a few good ones. Military is where I got my mechanical skills so I can work a wrench or too but a little rough in some skill I know it in my head but putting it to my hands some stuff gets lost in translation.I will work with the talent GOD gave me to make my cycle kart the best I can make it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rdstr31 Chad Ritter
Ney, OH, USA   USA
Since things are slow around here, I'll play...

Gen X here. Been interested in cars since before I could drive. First car was a '67 Mustang (hey Rick!), and it was the first of almost 30 cars I've owned. I've had a couple Mustangs, a couple Monte Carlos ('70 & '87), a '40 Ford sedan, '31 Ford roadster, '55, '71 and '83 Chevy pickups, and those are the more interesting ones... I'm currently "storing" a '52 Chevy sedan that I've had for 11 years that I really should be finishing up, but there's a 9 year old little girl running around here who's the rightful focus now (and what led me to cyclekarts, but I'll get to that). Lately I've been farting around with my wife's mostly-stock '51 Chevy 3600 (so I see you all over stovebolt.com, Denny!), and we moved to a new house 3 years ago which has taken a bunch of time too. Cool thing--I now have 6 acres upon which to run cyclekarts!

About 5 years ago I was between jobs and decided I needed another project... I started to scratch-build a "1920-esqe" Indy car and got as far as fabricating the chassis (which is still in the barn, awaiting my attention) and started looking at how to build the body. Somehow, I stumbled on Dennis Thomas' vids on Youtube and thought I could build a small version of my car, just for practice (yes, another project) and give it to my daughter. Unfortunately, she wasn't into Indy cars and wanted a Model A roadster instead, hence the Journal here on this site. Now, I gotta get motivated over Christmas break so I can work on her car...

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Welcome Chad
And Hey! Your story sounds so similar to that of most of us!
And yes, new projects are fun, no matter how many we already have on the go.eye rolling smiley
But, if you cooler inside of the lines, CycleKarts are simple for anyone that has any car building experience.
But, take it from me.........try to be too cutetongue sticking out smiley and you CK can become another project on the shelf.
And do I understand your daughter is 9 yrs old? Or is that a Grand daughter you are raising?
If so she is a little young for a Model A.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rdstr31 Chad Ritter
Ney, OH, USA   USA
I LOL'ed at the grand-daughter comment... Let's just say that I'm a late bloomer.

Oh, I hear ya Brian--I started this darned thing back when she was 5!!! I'm plugging away at it tho, and most of the mechanicals are done; hope to have it finished by spring so that I can move on to building my own kart...

Attachments:
rdstrfront.jpg    23.6 KB
rdstrfront.jpg

Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Chad,

See the Pedal Car thread in Custom for my own long suffering kid kart project. One day I’ll start my own... Hahaha.

Peace,
Robert

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 36932 by Rdstr31 I LOL'ed at the grand-daughter comment... Let's just say that I'm a late bloomer.

Oh, I hear ya Brian--I started this darned thing back when she was 5!!! I'm plugging away at it tho, and most of the mechanicals are done; hope to have it finished by spring so that I can move on to building my own kart...
Wow Chad
It is already a CycleKart from what I see!
Looks Great!thumbs up
Would love to see more pictures.
There is already a motor....so it is not a pedal car (stay away from those guys!eye popping smiley)
How long is it?
Brian
PS
Most of us are Grandfathers here!eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-26 02:33 PM by Woodysrods.

Rdstr31 Chad Ritter
Ney, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 36937 by Woodysrods Wow Chad
It is already a CycleKart from what I see!
Looks Great!thumbs up
Would love to see more pictures.
There is already a motor....so it is not a pedal car (stay away from those guys!eye popping smiley)
How long is it?
Brian
PS
Most of us are Grandfathers here!eye rolling smiley

Tip of the fame horn to the rear pan is 83".

Sorry Robert-- Brian said I should stay away from pedal cars so I'm taking his advice. However, I did sneak over to your thread when he wasn't looking and checked it out... I totally dig the design, especially the look of the exhaust! Although I do think you might run into a problem with the scale, unless you're a wee lad.

I feel like I need to add more about "who the heck I am" so we stay on thread topic... How about a "Prior Jobs" list, just for fun and in no particular order:

1. Poured concrete and worked on a road construction crew
2. Radiology Department transporter at the hospital
3. Factory worker
4. Paramedic
5. Owner/operator of a Street Rod/Classic Car upholstery shop
6. Insurance sales

A wonderfully well-rounded work experience... I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of this life.

Woodysrods Avatar
thumbs upthumbs up
This a Great Thread!smiling bouncing smiley
Thanks Denny for starting it!thumbs up
It is definitely getting our members talking here on the Forum.
Good on ya!
Brian

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Well now we know that not all the Cyclekart guys are rich playboys, or.....retire's. We're seeing a bunch
of calloused hands and guys that are still punching the clock 9 to 5.
But, really, it's nice to know a little more about the guys that we talk to, some of them a few times a week.
This thread is a little redundant, in that it's a lot like the "New Members, Please Introduce Yourself" thread
that Skye Nott started way back in 2014. But I guess it won't hurt to hear a little more about the members.
After all, if the only thing that we talked about here was strictly limited to Cyclekarts, it would get old pretty
fast, at least from my end of the line.
dg

BaronVonKurtz Avatar
BaronVonKurtz Gold Member BaronVonKurtz Belshe
Huntsville, AL, USA   USA
January 1953 Baby Boomer on the cusp of 66 years old
Retired a year ago last June
Grew up in Colorado fishing, hiking, and camping.
Started college but didn’t have enough money to stay.
Went to school to become an FAA Certfied Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Got my pilots license along the way.
Earned enough to get me back into college and earned a BSEE degree
Got hired by IBM. Worked with them for 12 years and ended up in Boca Raton Florida at the birth of the PC
Lived on a sail boat at that time (4 years). Sailed the Bahamas and did some racing.
Met my bride at IBM and then we left. Independent contracting and consulting mostly. Lived and worked in Vienna Austria for a couple of years and then Barcelona for a couple more. Returned to Florida then Texas back to Florida and finally ended up in Huntsville AL.
Built and flew ultralights in my youth. Rebuilt VW engines out of necessity also in my yoot. Learned to paraglide in the Austrian Alps.
Spent my life at a desk behind a computer of one kind or another.
Decided to build a cyclekart because nobody near me is building one, there are no events nearby, and I haven’t got the skills or know how to build one. I have just recently taken MIG and TIG welding classes at the local community college. I have my wheels built (from scratch - I started there because I had no idea how I would do that). The frame is together and the front axle is out at a local fabricators to bend up for me.
I don’t know what I’ll do with it after it is built but at the rate I’m going I won’t have to worry about for a while.
I’m not in a hurry, I’m learning new stuff, and I’m having a lot of fun.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-30 01:08 AM by BaronVonKurtz.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I really like the way the Miller turned out Rick, and you sure didn’t waste any time building
it. After seeing it and your other projects it’s clear that you’re an old hand at fabrication.
But…I think you’d better start thinking about a larger stable for your steeds, cuz I’ll bet
you’ve already got the second one on the drawing board.

A ’52 Chevy sedan Chad?? That was my second car back in 1959, ‘cept it was a $200
2dr 216 stick with the rear wheel weIls rusting out….and it was only 7 years old at the time.
I shudder to think what it would look like today, 60 years later. I’ve been thinking lately,
after I finish my ’50 & ’54 Stovebolts, a few Cyclekarts and a few dozen more pet projects,
that I might try and find a ’51 or ’52 Chevy car to restore and relive my youth. I just have
to live long enough to accomplish all that. Alvin aka ‘Chipmonk’ over on the ‘Bolt is building
an early ‘50’s Chevy coupe, believe he said he’s putting a 261 in it. Sounds like you’ve got
your head on straight. I’ve always told the younger set, life is a three way scale, to keep it in
balance you have to give equal weight to your family, your job and yourself.
Land as the old saying goes, is one of those thing that you can’t make more of. Picking
some up at an early age is a wise decision in my mind. Wish I’d done it sooner, but…what
the heck, I’ve still got 24 more years here at Shangri La. With your background you should
be able to put together a few karts in no time. One for the daughter, one for mother and a
hot one for dad. As those regulars here who are in the know have posted hundreds of
times, Keep It Simple Stuped. Follow the KISS philosophy and they go together quick and
easy. Over complicate them and it will take forever to get wheels on the ground.

Well Baron it sure sounds like you took the long way ‘round the track, but you sure learned
a bunch along the way. You and my wife are the same age, heck, boat of ya are still just
kids….in my eyes at least!
Yep, I’ll bet you spent some time with the EAA on your winged journey. Some of it sounds
similar to what Sweetie face and I went thru before we hatched a little one. Got our Pilots
license, I worked on my Commercial/instrument rating, scratch built a Pitts S1D, built a
house and hanger at a private airport, spent a week at Oshkosh for 20 years. Finished out
my working years programing and running CMM’s at FermiLab in Batavia, IL during the
birth of the PC. In my youth, I was fortunate enough to have a pop that taught me how to
work with my hands. So almost from day one, I’ve worked at and with wrenching/welding/machine tools.
And even at 76 I’m still learning and hope to stay interested for another 24 years.
As you’ve heard a thousand times, “Build it and they will come.” There are little pockets of
these Cyclekart builders popping up all round the country. At this rate one day there will be
a gathering within a mornings drive for most of us anywhere in the country.
Thanks for posting guys
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 37018 by Denny Graham I really like the way the Miller turned out Rick, and you sure didn’t waste any time building
it. After seeing it and your other projects it’s clear that you’re an old hand at fabrication.
But…I think you’d better start thinking about a larger stable for your steeds, cuz I’ll bet
you’ve already got the second one on the drawing board.

Thanks, Denny. I try to limit the time for each project to one year, because that's all the attention span I have.

I do need a place to store this stuff. My Jaguar is sitting in the driveway, because my 2 car garage is full.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Take a lesson from that youngster Chad, Rick. A fresh new start on 6 acres of grass to mow
smack dab in the middle of life. Jus' kidden' Chad, you will be so glad you made the move
20 years from now.
Now....I taint in the middle of life, but I still got him beat by .55 acres. But in all honesty, I only
mow about 4.55 of that........three days a week, all summer long!!!!
Even with all the work required of me when I'm wearing my Care Takers hat, I wouldn't trade
it for all the tea in China. My only regret is I didn't bite the bullet and make the move much earlier.
The view out the back window on a Sunday morning sure beats what greeted me for the last
half century, i.e. a neighbors garage 15 feet to the east and 15 feet to the west.
Denny Graham
Shangri La, IL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-30 11:28 AM by Denny Graham.

Attachments:
December Mornning Wrapped in Crystal Dew 02.JPG    68.7 KB
December Mornning Wrapped in Crystal Dew 02.JPG

Woodysrods Avatar
Yes, I am with Denny on this one also!
I got my acreage 15 years ago, and it changed my life entirely for the best.
Can't imagine not having the space anymore, or looking directly into a neighbours
kitchen window.
The 15,000 square feet of buildings that came with it for my cars was also a bonus
envied by most of my friends.
This has also allowed me to have a dedicated CycleKart Shop that I can leave
set up when my other urges cause me to wonder off on another project for a couple
of months.eye rolling smiley
I am back on "CycleKarts this week!smiling bouncing smiley And it feels Good!thumbs up
Happy New Year to everyone..........and Please post more in 2019!
Good Roads
& Smooth Trackssmileys with beer
Brian

BaronVonKurtz Avatar
BaronVonKurtz Gold Member BaronVonKurtz Belshe
Huntsville, AL, USA   USA
I’m just the opposite guys. Sold my too big property (6+ acres and 1/4 acre pond) and my too big house (3000+ for two people is nuts), and moved into a townhouse with zero lawn just before I retired. Heating/cooling is less than a third the cost, water is nothing, insurance is a pittance, plenty of space for two people and I get trash pickup at my door. I’m over 65 so I pay no property tax.

I can shut the door and walk away from it for months at a time and don’t worry about it. Learning to live small and under the radar frees me up to travel and play with impunity. Plus I have Google Fiber at 1 gig symmetrical, I couldn’t hardly get dial up in the country.

I’m fat dumb and happy. Simple and incognito.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1924 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links