CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Frazer Nash Owlett?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

arndtnew3 Avatar
arndtnew3 Sam A
geneseo, IL, USA   USA
Hey guys its been a while since I have been on but I have been looking at pictures of a 1928 Frazer Nash saloon called Owlett. I am kinda getting the urge to maybe build a cycle kart version to the cycle kart specs. Just want your thoughts, I think it would be a cool build. I would build the body out of wood then wrap it in a leather like material, vinyl? Then the bonnet could be sheet metal. I would just have to keep the weight done for the 6.5 HP engine...

Sam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-09 04:35 PM by arndtnew3.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
12611738235_2dc8bbcfa0_b.jpg    45.9 KB
12611738235_2dc8bbcfa0_b.jpg

Frazer-Nash-Owlet-Saloon.jpg    25.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
akumabito Avatar
akumabito Joost van Ekris
Smilde, Drenthe, Netherlands   NLD
Cool little car. Have you done any scale drawings? I'd be concerned about the cabin size. CK's are pretty small, and usually the driver sticks out a fair bit. I'm not sure how practical a roof would be, or how well it would scale to CK proportions Either way - you'd probably bang your head every timeyou hit a bump..

Cobra Avatar
Cobra A Freeman
Overton, NV, USA   USA
I have thought a lot about a hard top CK. I have come to decide that if I did one it would have a chopped top so as to be as low as possible, so to not look ridiculous, and have a hole in the roof for my head and shoulders to stick out. The roof it's self would hinge back to let me in and out.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
arndtnew3 Avatar
arndtnew3 Sam A
geneseo, IL, USA   USA
Yeah I did a quick scale drawing. I would use 18" rims with a 24" OD tire so the car would not look disproportionate. The height of the body would be roughly 42" which would leave me a good amount of head room. Wheelbase would be around 85"-90" (big car). Just playing around with the idea. Im going to do a cad model to see what it would actually be.

Sam

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
Looks like a good idea to me. Of course that may be because I don't have to build it! hahaha

I say if it inspires you, go for it. Failure is a good teacher in the long run anyway.

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 14452 by arndtnew3 Hey guys its been a while since I have been on but I have been looking at pictures of a 1928 Frazer Nash saloon called Owlett. I am kinda getting the urge to maybe build a cycle kart version to the cycle kart specs. Just want your thoughts, I think it would be a cool build. I would build the body out of wood then wrap it in a leather like material, vinyl? Then the bonnet could be sheet metal. I would just have to keep the weight done for the 6.5 HP engine...
Sam
====================================================================
Hello Sam,
You were really silent for a lot of time!
Am I missed something or you didn't show us photos with final result of your unusual “custom-kart”? If I remember well, you finished all the mechanics and ride it around, but I am not sure if you ever put some body on it? Just a “heretic” idea: why you wouldn't build such wonderful coupe body on it and build simple open CycleKart after that?

However, your plans of putting closed cabin of coupe style on CycleKart could be possible, even not so easy task - as was once discussed about such idea of one member of this Club. As was said, problem is that cabin/cockpit (open or closed) have to be of the same size as on original auto (maybe something bigger – people became taller in last decades) – and, auto should be smaller a lot!

In spite that as almost anybody, I like open cockpit driving with “a wind in a hair” (not a lot of it with integral helmets?) - I was always interested in small, light coupes from vintage era...

Just as some illustration of my thoughts, shown are photos of some gravity racers, made of wood, with closed cabins. As I could see, they are good for kids, but they are smaller then CK! So, something bigger could accommodate adult person without looking too ugly?

In thirties, when low cabin for sedans and coupes become popular, designers started to cheat: used bigger wheels, unnecessary high bonnet/hood and trunk - so, tops looked low, with narrow windshields with a view as from post-box...

With low floor as possible and longer wheelbase and cabin over trunk (with engine inside) – you could have practical and still elegant solution?
Maybe to have longer bonnet/hood – over the front axle?
I suppose that would be good suggestion to have entrance trough movable top – no place for practical doors?
Do not forget to build fuselage something wider: your shoulders and elbows would be inside your car...

With interest, I am waiting on your first sketches!

Regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
Gravity-wooden (4).jpg    52.7 KB
Gravity-wooden (4).jpg

Gravity-wooden (7).jpg    49.5 KB
IMG_1833.jpg    59 KB
wood-down-coaster (4).jpg    71.7 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Sam,
Just to kep you on fire - a pair ofphotos and videos with 1928 Frazer Nash saloon called Owlett!

Then, a pair of photos with gravity racers with closed cabin...

Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
carro a recumbent quadricycle pedal car.jpg    64.2 KB
carro a recumbent quadricycle pedal car.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg    63.3 KB
3098651.jpg    46.8 KB
3099951.jpg    35.8 KB
DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 Silver Member David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
Love that incar footage.
The footage from out side really show how unsuspecting the car is.
Such a tiny little beast.

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links