CycleKart Tech Forum

Mikuni or not to Mikuni?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME RIP Special"
Check out CarsAndCameras on YouTube, they have done a few Mikuni installs, they seem to have great results

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MrBrian22 Brian Cox
Mosheim, TN, USA   USA
2016 CycleKart American "BC Flyer"
I love CarsandCameras, I got one of their It'll Be Fine hats

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA

She is sounding mighty healthy....

Doing body work now...

Bow

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
That's a tidy setup. What intake manifold is that?

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I just watched the Mikuni install on cars and cameras!
So why are we not all using Mikuni Carbs?
Are they really against he rules at Tieton??
And yes.......Love that intake! No filter hanging out the side of the tail! GREAT!
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Yeah, sadly the bore limit at Tieton is .625 (although I know of guys with ,650).
The M22 is .866!

MrBrian22 Brian Cox
Mosheim, TN, USA   USA
That's a very clean setup, and it sounds nice. Don't you hate that rattling noise of the torque converter, mine is driving me crazy, I'm trying to come up with a way of taking out that annoying pinging sound at idle. My Mikuni is still sitting in it's box, waiting to be installed

MrBrian22 Brian Cox
Mosheim, TN, USA   USA
Question: I still have the governor in my engine (because I've heard that cyclekarts don't really get up to RPMs high enough to engage the governor anyway), so when I remove the stock linkages to put the Mikuni on, what do I need to do with the governor arm? Do I need to attach it to something? I guess I could remove the governor, but I really don't want to have to dismantle everything and take the engine apart to do so....

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 28388 by MrBrian22 Question: I still have the governor in my engine (because I've heard that cyclekarts don't really get up to RPMs high enough to engage the governor anyway), so when I remove the stock linkages to put the Mikuni on, what do I need to do with the governor arm? Do I need to attach it to something? I guess I could remove the governor, but I really don't want to have to dismantle everything and take the engine apart to do so....

The Mikuni bypasses all the stock linkage.... So the governor will do nothing

Remove the governor. You have to pull the side cover on the engine to do it right, then you lose all the throttle linkage trash.

If you gear it right, you will get north of the 3600 RPM Governor limit... I suggest removing it. Dennis Thomas, Red Beards Garage, and cars And Cameras all have videos on how to do it properly.

This is the incorrect part of the Tieton rules: no billet connecting rod...

If you pull the governor, there are 2 other parts in the engine:
1. The Stock Predator flywheel has been known to come apart above 5600 RPM... OK they allow billet flywheels
2. The stock connecting rod is known to be the next weak link (see Cars and Cameras Mikuni Install video for proof). Yeah the stock rod fails, it is catastrophic for the engine

All the serious Go Kart racing forums on the web will tell you.... Pull the governor, install a billet flywheel and connecting rod for safety.

For all those that asked about the intake:

GoKartsUSA Inverted Intake
It is for the Mikuni VM22
It isn't plug and play on Predators (I know from experience.

This is just my opinion, my opinion probably doesn't mean much as I've never been to Tieton...

Bow

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Does this thread need to be discussed more?winking smiley
Maybe!
So here is a bump!
I like the things I have been hearing about quicker throttle response, better cable attachment, etc.
Bow, you have had a chance to run yours a bit now......so what do you think?
Brian

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 31370 by Woodysrods
Bow, you have had a chance to run yours a bit now......so what do you think?
Brian

You can not even compare it to the Stock Carb, or even the "Bored" Stock style carb setup (yes, I has tried both)

The Mikuni is a little fussier to setup, but when you figure it out... hang on!

The throttle response in way better and being a Slide, the air metering part gets totally out of the air stream...

Bow

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1921 CycleKart German

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links