CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Knock Offs and Friction Shocks

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
That is what i was having trouble with, and I don't have a milling machine.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
scott.trosper Avatar
scott.trosper Scott Trosper
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (OK), USA   USA
What if you pinned a socket inside your knockoff hub to get rid of fancy milling work?
Then silicon the nut into the socket to take care of rattling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 11:16 AM by scott.trosper.

Those are cool! What do they measure, and who makes them? The sockets may make them too heavy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
scott.trosper Avatar
scott.trosper Scott Trosper
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (OK), USA   USA
Did a Google search for socket and ratchet and these images showed up.
Don't know manufacture. Can't find the one in the previous post.
The address shows ridersdiscount.com

Here is a craftsman tap and die set.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 12:41 PM by scott.trosper.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Of course there are dozens of different varieties of knock ons or such which match the inspiration car, so whatever you want won't be a "one size fits all". The next full size project runs RAF hubs which use a hex on the outside. Another learning exercise in how they work.
The car will look a bit like (lot like) this.

Attachments:
Scan_0002.jpg    50.9 KB
Scan_0002.jpg

Cool car Rhys, but does not help much with our quest for something we can repurpose as a scaled down, light weight, cyclekart knock off/spinner.
Brian

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
The point being Brian, there is no one version of the knock off that is right for all cars. This photo is one of the RAF spinners which a lot of cars used. There were 3 ear, 2 ear, all sorts, so to be correct to "your" car you have to be individual. Mike's ones are very correct for a lot of cars too.

Attachments:
P4170871.JPG    42.3 KB
P4170871.JPG

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
That car has lug nuts. The piece with the hex on the outside is probably just a cover to keep dirt out of the bearings.

Brian, My aluminum spinners are being cut right now and I'll have them early next week. Then, when I get done machining them, I'll make a little video to show you my idea. They will look just like the Miller spinners, but will function differently. I'll explain with the video.

Rick

In reply to # 29257 by 1908Rick That car has lug nuts. The piece with the hex on the outside is probably just a cover to keep dirt out of the bearings.

Brian, My aluminum spinners are being cut right now and I'll have them early next week. Then, when I get done machining them, I'll make a little video to show you my idea. They will look just like the Miller spinners, but will function differently. I'll explain with the video.

Rick
Thanks Rick
CanĀ“t wait!

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
In reply to # 29257 by 1908Rick That car has lug nuts. The piece with the hex on the outside is probably just a cover to keep dirt out of the bearings.

Rick

Sorry Rick, they are not lug nuts! They are used with a special Knock off spanner. Many many cars of the period use these. It might pay to research before you state. The ratchet teeth are the clue. Very quick to change. If you are going to used "normal" eared knock offs you might need to use left hand threads on one side to be genuine!

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Oh, whatever. They aren't knock-offs like we're talking about.

This is what we want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-03 05:21 PM by 1908Rick.

Attachments:
Spinner.JPG    14.8 KB
Spinner.JPG

Can Do 2 Mark Henderson
Mason, IL, USA   USA
Rick,
Can't wait to see the video and how your idea for the front knock offs will work!
Mark

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
All I was saying Rick is that there are a myriad of them, none is right for every car.
The ones which Mike did are good for the English cars which he is inspired by, like his Vauxhall, and more had them than most. As you can see in these pics the 2 "Spiders" use the RAF. Whatever as you said.

Attachments:
3 ear.jpg    6.8 KB
3 ear.jpg

borrani T42-2.jpg    14.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Miller.jpg    64.2 KB
2spiders.jpg    70.4 KB
How is the machining coming along?
I will be home tonight!
Brian

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Brian,

I haven't received the blanks from the water jet cutting place yet. The closest place to me is in Fort Lauderdale, so they're sending them back UPS. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday.

Rick

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1927 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links