CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Knock Offs and Friction Shocks

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 29307 by 1908Rick Brian,

I haven't received the blanks from the water jet cutting place yet. The closest place to me is in Fort Lauderdale, so they're sending them back UPS. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday.

Rick
So you had them cut from one piece?
Will they require much machining or will they be close to ready for polishing?
I canĀ“t wait to get back home and back to work in earnest on my CycleKart..........no more lolly gagging!
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
The material is 3/4" thick, so I'm going to turn the back side to make a round hub extending out, leaving the bars thinner, and then bore the center hole.
I told them to use a slow speed for a clean cut. I hope they don't need too much work.

littletex Avatar
littletex Blake Martindale
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Little Tex Here,
Take a look at these, They are mid sixties Buick hubcaps with mock knockoffs kinda similar to what your looking for and pertneer ready made. Just drill out the rivets and attach by your own choice of fastening.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Knockoffs.jpg    89 KB
Knockoffs.jpg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Tex! A decent set of those is probably worth 300 bucks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-07 12:21 AM by CmdBentaxle.

littletex Avatar
littletex Blake Martindale
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Dave,
You might be right and to think I you's t find these just laying on the side of the road if I had only thought of retirement where would I be now anyway if someone could get some for cheap just an idea .

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Yeah. And how many mid '60s Buicks could we've had for $500 when they were just old cars.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Price would probably be an issue alright, and I do have lots of hubcaps with sinners on them up in the barn,
But, size and weight are the issues we are dealing with here!
Remember these CKs are 3/4 scale or less. and the spinners do not have to have any other function than just "looks"!
Somewhere 3" to 4" across is all that is required for the wheels we are using.
My Spitfire as cool knockoffs, but the are heavy little beasts. Far too much for a CK as well.
Thanks for keeping this post alive!
Sick and I are both working towards something that will replicate what was used on Miller race cars of the day.
Keep watching.thumbs up
Good Roads
Brian

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME RIP Special"
This should be interesting to see...

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Here it is. I hope it meets your approval.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Wat to go Rick!
They look Great!thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
So what did the two imprtant measurements come in at in the final cut (overall width and outside diameter of the center circle), got that they are 3/4" thick.
The look clean and Fantastic!!!
Can you PM me with the cost of water jet cutting them, so I a comparison in pricing that task here in Canada?
Also did you provide them with DFX file for them to program into their WJ cutter, or just the specs?
Thanks
Brian

Can Do 2 Mark Henderson
Mason, IL, USA   USA
Very good job Rick!

Great idea of solving the front wheel issue. I wouldn't change a thing. The scale and look are perfect.

Mark

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Thanks, Mark

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME RIP Special"
Very cool! Looks great too. Nice job

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
Those came out nice .. gd job rick.cheers

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Great job Rick, I'm thinking of casting some in lead free pewter. It's low melting point, 380C, melts over a gas ring, just need to decide on mould material. I'll probably use plaster initially, though I normally use silicone rubber for the model boat casting moulds. I've got some sculptors plaster here, and I only need two, so that'll do the job, since I haven't got any rubber in stock. My wheels will take knock in centres so I can just drill and tap the knock off's and bolt them to the centre caps.

Chris

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links