CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

cyclekarts in Georgia?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BaronVonKurtz Avatar
BaronVonKurtz Gold Member BaronVonKurtz Belshe
Huntsville, AL, USA   USA
I’m in Huntsville (north Alabama) and have started building a cyclekart-like vehicle. Same basic dimensions and engine with a slightly different wheel/tire setup. I don’t like the Honda wheel mounting, size, or age of the wheels that are used in the standard cars. I obtained three wheels from eBay and found none to be suitable. So I designed and am building my own.

Don’t let the fact that there are no other cyclekart events in the area stop you from building. You seem to think that racing is the major draw. It isn’t. It’s the fun of stretching your skills to come up with a period-like monoposto gentleman’s show car loosely based on a 30’s era race car. It’s great to get together and “race around” but the idea is more social than competitive. Think of it as gentleman’s racing. The socializing with like minded folks is the bigger draw than the racing.

If you really want to race, start with go carts. These can be built up and campaigned all over the south. This is very competitive and very fast.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dirtbag Brian O
Dacula, GA, USA   USA
I'm particularly fond of the 1932 Bugatti Type 55 roadsters - I've always thought they were gorgeous machines! I have a predator 6.5 that I was going to modify for use in a racing go-cart, but building a cyclekart with it sounds like much more fun! I plan to start my build in June/July as I'm currently clearing out my basement, and I want it to be neat and organized before I destroy it with sawdust and metal shavings again grinning smiley

DriverNameGoesHere Avatar
DriverNameGoesHere Ian Fuller
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
In reply to # 31746 by dirtbag I'm particularly fond of the 1932 Bugatti Type 55 roadsters - I've always thought they were gorgeous machines! I have a predator 6.5 that I was going to modify for use in a racing go-cart, but building a cyclekart with it sounds like much more fun! I plan to start my build in June/July as I'm currently clearing out my basement, and I want it to be neat and organized before I destroy it with sawdust and metal shavings again grinning smiley

That sounds awesome! I always loved those Bugattis too. If I do decide to build one or modify a purchased one it'll look like a home built race car from 1911-1929. There's a photo I saw a long time ago of an AV with an areo body on it, but I've yet to track that photo down. I'd much rather buy a used one myself, I don't have the time or the full skill set to build one purely from scratch. I've got a restoration I'm finishing up and once that's done in the next few months I'd love to get started on a CycleKart, I'd probably be starting the same time you plan on.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
In reply to # 31743 by BaronVonKurtz I’m in Huntsville (north Alabama) and have started building a cyclekart-like vehicle. Same basic dimensions and engine with a slightly different wheel/tire setup. I don’t like the Honda wheel mounting, size, or age of the wheels that are used in the standard cars. I obtained three wheels from eBay and found none to be suitable. So I designed and am building my own.

Don’t let the fact that there are no other cyclekart events in the area stop you from building. You seem to think that racing is the major draw. It isn’t. It’s the fun of stretching your skills to come up with a period-like monoposto gentleman’s show car loosely based on a 30’s era race car. It’s great to get together and “race around” but the idea is more social than competitive. Think of it as gentleman’s racing. The socializing with like minded folks is the bigger draw than the racing.

If you really want to race, start with go carts. These can be built up and campaigned all over the south. This is very competitive and very fast.

That's pretty cool! I'd love to replicate the solid steel dish rims of 20's era cars. Especially since it'd make my build look more period correct.

Personally I could do without events and racing if I absolutely had to, I just don't want to be the only one in GA with a Kart, that's no fun at all. Besides meeting and socializing with other members I want to use my Kart for what it's built for, and what the original car would've been built for. I already own a show car, that's great, but performance is more fun. Haha!

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Follow the lead of the Gittreville guys, and the Arizona Chapter, and very soon the B.C. Chapter!
Brian

BaronVonKurtz Avatar
I have some information and pictures about my wheel design here:

https://www.cyclekartclub.com/journal/BaronVonKurtz/13143

https://www.cyclekartclub.com/journal/BaronVonKurtz/13337

I have built the first 5 wheels. Cart build is a slow process due to time constraints.

I’m not in a hurry.

Best regards

Baron

Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
In reply to # 31766 by BaronVonKurtz I have some information and pictures about my wheel design here:

https://www.cyclekartclub.com/journal/BaronVonKurtz/13143

https://www.cyclekartclub.com/journal/BaronVonKurtz/13337

I have built the first 5 wheels. Cart build is a slow process due to time constraints.

I’m not in a hurry.

Best regards

Baron

Wow! Those rims look fantastic. Have you made other wire rims before or is this your first venture?

BaronVonKurtz Avatar
Yep, first time. They are very stout - and heavy. I think they will look cool but they are sure to suffer in the performance area. I’m not really concerned, I building for fun and looks. I may not win at a track but I hope to be competitive in the Concours d'Elegance. =8^0

Baron

BillC Avatar
BillC Bill C
1977 MG MGB "Lil Miss Behaving"
Baron,
I am near , almost in Madison. I am new too and in the development and parts collection, have a lot of parts , drawing and such. We will have to meet and talk CycleKart soon!
Regards, William

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1912 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links