CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

My 1935 Miller-Ford V8 build is started

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
Oops. I lied. They did come yesterday. My wife put the box in the garage before I got home and I didn't see it.
Sooooo.... I was busy today.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
So Rick
Thanks for the chat tonight,.......... well it will be last night by time you get up to read this.
I went out to the shop and took some pictures and measurement as we discussed, and will email them to you tomorrow.
or today in your case.
Good Roads
Brian

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Rick, I know it's not polite to ask, but.....I just gotta know...how much is it costing to
have those Water jet cut and did they set a minimum number of parts for the run?
And it looks like you are having them do some further machine work to them, such as
hole patterns drilled and tapped?
I've tried to find a local shop to do WJ cutting for various components around me but
no one seems interested in doing a short run and the programming is a killer unless
you can divide it up over hundreds of parts.
Thanks
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
They look the part for the Miller Rick. Lots of work when they came as raw cuts? Do they have to come off to take the wheel off?

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Dennis, they quoted me $9 each to cut them. Then when I dropped off the aluminum, they told me they have a $60 minimum charge. If I had known that, I would have had them do eight right away. At least they paid to ship them back to me. So they really cost me $15 each. I did all the machining myself.

Rhys, Thanks. It's the look I was going for.
I made the center hole big enough to get a socket in there to remove the wheel nut.
It's a 1 1/16" socket that I turned the OD down to 34 mm. Call it my special spanner wrench.
So the only thing that has to be removed is the cover.

Rick

red streak Avatar
red streak Peter Nielsen
Creston, BC, Canada   CAN
I see a cobra also. I have one also and enjoy it lots. nice start on your new endeavor . I managed to complete mine in good time for spring and am looking to some events soon.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Thanks Rick, that helps.
I'm trying to figure if it's cost effective to have parts like that burned out, blown out
sprayed out or what ever, with water jet or laser simply, or simply rough them out
on my band saw and do some mill work to finish them.
Also seriously thinking of pouring some aluminum sand castings like Mike Thorpe made.
I'm threading my rear axle with a L&R thread so they can actually be used as knock on/off's
but without a proper spindle and hub for the front that actually works as a knock off, your solution
of screwing them to the Honda hub as a decoration is about the best idea I've seen. At least that
would balance out the look on my kart.
Thanks again,
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Peter, The Cobra picture in your post caught my eye right away. What kind is it? What engine?

Dennis, Doing your own castings is pretty ambitious, but it's something I'd like to do some day. I just don't have a GIANT, RIDICULOUSLY EQUIPPED MEGA-SHOP like you do. cool smiley (I saw your post in the other thread about growth of the sport)

I'm pretty happy with the water jet cut. All I did on the edges is run them on a scotch-brite wheel to clean them.

Rick

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
And that is something that I've been wanting to do for many decades. I've had everything
I need to put it together cept the time all those years. Got the shell, the refractory, the
crucible, the molding sand, the core material, the flasks. And I just finished the propane
forge/furnace last summer and made extra burners for the metal melter. Should be able
to pour about 15lb of aluminum in one melt, which is plenty for anything I have in mind.

Water jet is great for just about anything you want to cut out. Flame cut, Laser and Plasma
all leave the edge hard on steel with any carbon content, such as 1020 and it plays ell on
HSS machine tools and in a tig weld. You need to do a little grinding if you intend to do
any of the later. Water jet on the other hand is super clean without those problems and
you can't beat it for non-ferrous metals or non-metal materials.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1929 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links