CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

My 1935 Miller-Ford V8 build is started

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Well, a post that finally went through.
I have been off the grid camping for the past 16 days, so can't wait to get home soon to catch up.
Back in Canada tomorrow!
Our Millers seem to be mirroring each other in the body construction.
I too am using 22 ga, steel and .040 Aluminum in the same areas of the body for fabricating ease.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
Great minds think alike, right. I just figured it would be easier to form steel around the cockpit and weld it in place.
I got my English wheel and started practicing. It's not as easy as some people make it look. I'm not in a rush to get the car done, so I can take my time and figure it out.

The 22 ga. steel is much harder to wheel than Aluminum.
And yes there is some technique to learn so that you do not wheel your fingers????
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
One cockpit side and tail side done. Will need some bondo to finish.

Attachments:
Body panels 006.jpg    31.3 KB
Body panels 006.jpg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Filler will hide the vintage look.

S'all for now!

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Yeah. It'll also hide my bad metal work. Patina comes with use and age.

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
I managed to finish the other side of the tail section today, and I had to put it all together for a pic. Everything aluminum is roughed in and clamped on, and the steel parts are welded on. I'll work on fit and finish as I assemble each piece for the final time.
I'm really looking forward to seeing it all assembled now.

Attachments:
Body panels 013.jpg    44.5 KB
Body panels 013.jpg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Looking more like a Miller every day!

S'all for now!

Great Job Rick!thumbs upthumbs up
I had hoped to catch up to you this weekeye rolling smiley.....BUT, I turned my eBrake into a career.confused smiley
Finished up a lot of small detailed pieces that needed to be addressed before I start attaching the skin.
Did some painting and the floor skeleton will be painted by tomorrow.
Can't wait until mine looks like yours, hope it turns out as nice.
Thanks for the update........we are all watching!
Good Roads
Brian

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
I'm not as far along as it might appear. I need to do a little more work on the tail section, then paint the frame. THEN, I can start attaching the skin permanently. The tab and slot system looks like it'll work great, but once the tab is bent over, it'll be impossible to remove without destroying the panel.
You need to post more pics, Brian.

In reply to # 33354 by 1908Rick I'm not as far along as it might appear. I need to do a little more work on the tail section, then paint the frame. THEN, I can start attaching the skin permanently. The tab and slot system looks like it'll work great, but once the tab is bent over, it'll be impossible to remove without destroying the panel.
You need to post more pics, Brian.
Yes, I know...........but from a visual standpoint, it looks like I have been doing nothing for the past two weeks!sad smiley
I have been working on the handbrake cable mounting and calliper actuator, run the brake line, finished the fake rear spring U bolts (show
only), made recess piece for external access to pull rope, kitted both my Predator & Black Cone motors, modified the throttles and painted small parts and rear springs, etc. etc.
None of the above really makes the impression one body panel will make?eye rolling smiley
I am taking pictures and will post something soon.
But for now, the show is all yours!tongue sticking out smiley
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 09:42 AM by Woodysrods.

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Yeah, I hear you. I have a ton of little details that I need to address also.
I'd like to see how you did the recess for the pull rope.
Speaking of kitting the motor, I have a question about the governor on the Predator. I removed the external parts, but is it necessary or advantageous to remove the internal parts as well?

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Hi Rick.
Man that is looking great!
If I may. You will hear a lot about the Do's and Don'ts of governor removal. Much of it B.S.
Here's the basic facts. You can lock it down so it doesn't govern. You could remove just the outside parts, and let the inside spin with no effect. You could do either of these, and at the RPM we run at I doubt you would have trouble. However, the best way, the cleanest way that will leave no doubt is to go inside and remove the entire thing. It's a bit of hassle, but you'll feel better having done it.

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Thanks, Dave.
I suspected that was the case with the governor, but I needed to verify it.

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Latest report is posted in my journal.
It's been a weekend of painting the bathroom and working on the cycle kart in my spare time.

I love to assemble things sometimes just to get little glimpses of what it will look like. Check this out!

Attachments:
Instrument panel 008.jpg    32.1 KB
Instrument panel 008.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1911 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links