We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

12V Power Source Question

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
So, I hate to show my lack of knowledge about 12V Batteries, but I am trying to research what might be the lightest way to get 12V power source for a Cyclekart.
Also.......my experience with these 6.5 hp motors we are using has also been limited to my current project.
Will or can this motor recharge small battery??
please pardon my ignorance on this subject and help me if you can.
Thanks
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
What are you looking to power, Brian?

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You need a stator coil. It goes between the flywheel and block. I don't know if it fits your engine or not but, https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CHARGING-COIL-FITS-HONDA-GX200-6-5HP-GX160-5-5HP-Electric-Start/391563738635?hash=item5b2b047e0b:g:5zYAAMXQQtNR0JpC

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
12v motorcycle battery should be sufficient.

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
From the pictures of your build, your engine looks like a Predator 212?
Don't come with a means of generating power for an electrical system.
If you do go thru the exercise of changing the flywheel and adding pick
up coils to generate power, a small motor cycle battery would be your
most logical choice.
I used a small gel-cell battery in my Pitts special because of the inverted
flight, and it was adequate to start the 320 cu.in. Lycoming engine and
power the Nav/com radio on board. The alternator I used was an
AC Delco 10SI, very common GM unit. It was way more capacity
at 45amps, than I needed.
If you converted to electric, your single cylinder engine would be adequate
to keep a small gel cell motorcycle bat. charged. They charge larger batteries
typically used in lawn equipment.
dg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
This is sort of what I knew already.
So what I have learned............212 Predator does NOT have a "Stator" correct?
So how, or should I add one?
I want a horn, a fan, and a power source for GPS.
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
The reason I asked was in case a rechargeable battery would work.
They've gotten really good in recent years.

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Haven't made the change yet Brian, and it's been bout a year since
I researched this, but I first bought the starter/generator kit. But as
you can see in the 'large' image, the tapers are different.
So...then I bought the Kohler flywheel which is supposed to be the
same taper as the Predator. Mind you, the hemi and non-hemi have
different tapers.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/166702194
(scroll next or prev for a couple of pics and toggle large or original
to blow them up.)
These are both still cast iron flywheels, so the need to keep
the revs under 5k is still there.
dg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
Brian, have you had the flywheel off? Behind it should be two screw holes to add the charge coil.

MrBrian22 Brian Cox
Mosheim, TN, USA   USA
2016 CycleKart American "BC Flyer"
Dennis' post and videos helped me get my kart up and running on a 12v system. http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,713

I went on ebay and got this kit https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-GX200-6-5HP-ELECTRIC-START-KIT-STARTER-MOTOR-SOLENOID-ON-OFF-SWITCH/320854679392?epid=1831630584&hash=item4ab46ddf60:g:IQsAAMXQWlFRvjdZ

Because I wanted electric start. If you don't want the electric start and just a charging system, you might be able to find something cheaper to suite your needs, and you wouldn't need the starter motor and ring gear.
You'll have to remove your current flywheel, drill and tap a couple holes so you can add a stator (I added 2 stators while I was doing it 50W instead of 25W), then put a new flywheel on that has magnets on it to produce an electric current. Then you'll need a rectifier that will change the current over to DC voltage, and you'll need a battery. The cheapest rectifier I found that I thought would work properly was this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N99M5JT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It comes with zero wiring instructions, so it took some trial and error with my multimeter to figure out how to hook it up properly. I went to Tractory Supply and got a "motorcycle/atv" battery and it wasn't cheap $110. But it's been a good battery.

I'm no electrician, but I think I finally have everything on my kart wired up properly

Like I said, Dennis really helped with his post and videos, and here is the wiring diagram

I'm estimating that including the battery, starter motor, new flywheel, etc, it added about 20-25 lbs to the kart, but I'm all about coolness and convenience over speed.

Good luck, and hope this helps

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
To throw some "other car" experience at you all. In my recent full size vintage race cars I have not run a charge system at all. If the rules said a period generator should be fitted, it was, but with no internals. It's worth a couple of Hp and cheap to do. Finding horsepower generally is never this cheap. I charge the battery (and it's not big, cos big = heavy) before I go to a meeting. I get at least 20 starts, wipers when needed, running a coil system so it takes some battery to run, brake lights etc, and have never had an issue. So, why not just have a small battery pack (perhaps from the 12 volt cordless drill?) and run from that. A GPS will have miniscule draw, how often would you use the horn?, a fan(?) for cooling I would use a computer fan after all they have worked on the Lotus and draw almost nothing. Starting a nicely running engine wouldn't take a lot either. Cost= almost nothing.

MrBrian22 Brian Cox
Mosheim, TN, USA   USA
It's true that a rechargeable battery would probably be your easiest and cheapest option. Cause with the motorcycle battery, electric start kit, rectifier, etc you'll be well over $200 and like I said, 20-25 lbs. A GPS won't draw much, I got a GPS speedometer and it uses 6 μA. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WGNK98F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure what a fan would be for unless you're trying to cool an enclosed engine. And I also have a horn, not sure what the draw on it is, but it's pretty low. So maybe look into one of the $20 usb rechargeable batteries and ziptie or foam tape it into place?

I went the route I did mainly for the electric start, and then I added headlights, brake lights, turn signals, horn, and the gps speedometer/odometer. Which is another reason my kart is like 345 lbs and I'll never win any speed races :-)

MrBrian22 Brian Cox
Mosheim, TN, USA   USA
Here's another option, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5G8PF6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's pretty compact and light weight, easy to recharge, and could be used to jump off real vehicles if you needed to. My father and I both have one of these and you can use them to start pretty large motors.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
That's where I was going with post 7.
No hp draw, less weight, cheaper, easier, and simpler.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
I knew I cold count on you guys.
So now I just have to dial this in?????
Weight was my #1 concern.
Then size (I want something compact, but able to do the job)
Then was of installation (I really don't want to be changing the motor to add 12 Volt charging)
Then cost ?????
So........I do not intend to run a "Starter" on my CK
And yes, the horn is a novelty item (for fun, and I want to honk as I pass you you guys!), which brings me to the "fan"
I am looking to install an "efficient fan" to move as much air as I can over and around the motor (which is confined to a tight tail section)
Thus, I am thinking rechargeable AGM battery, but don't fully understand the specs listed uAH ?????
So, I am still little foggy.
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1929 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links