CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

12V Power Source Question

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

smallboregarage Avatar
smallboregarage Chuck Kraeuter
Portland, OR, USA   USA
This thread has been giving me a lot to think about.

Brian, it sounds like you discovered that you need a bigger battery. We used 12v, 5Ah batteries to run total loss ignitions on vintage motorcycle racers; but they weighed about 5 lbs. I don't think that 9 ampere hours means that the battery's internal resistance will allow 9 amperes of current to flow. I don't think that I would have your solution either, but can provide a little food for thought. If a guy does end up running a battery that he needs to swap out for a fresh charge, he could dustbin his large magnet flywheel and replace it with a tiny Hall effect ignition trigger (light, cheap). The TAV may provide all of the flywheel mass that the engine needs. All this being said, I'm pretty sure that I would keep the magneto. I spent over a decade swapping out batteries and am looking forward to a machine that doesn't need one.

Like I said: just food for thought.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Thanks Chuck
So the tech guy I spoke with at the company that I purchased the "Two" batteries from, led me to believe that they put out 4.5 amps of power.
And as I figured the Fan would draw 80 W which converts to about 6.6 amps, I could get that from these batteries.
Unfortunately, when I tried it, it just gave the fan a slight kick, but would not turn it.
I was only planning for it to run at about an hour before a recharge was required.
Brian
PS
I still need a solution.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I think if you get one of those little bicycle headlight dynamos and run it off a rubber donut on your axle you should have enough power for a fan, but definitely a light.

S'all for now!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
bihead.jpg    7.6 KB
bihead.jpg

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
I was thinking that if the UK karts use the engine with the 2:1 gearbox, it would give access to the chain run to drive a small generator. That led me on to the use of stepper motors as generators, so I've ordered the bits to try it out. I'll report back on how it performs once I've had the chance to test it, won't be a lot of output, but should be enough for instruments, computer fans and the like. It might be possible to use it on an engine with a TAV, but I'd think it would be more difficult to arrange the drive.

Chris

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Hi Chris, for the life of me I can't see any need whatever. I have said a number of times that I have run full sized car starter motors on a charged battery for a full day racing, up to 15 starts. A starter takes way more current than any of those things. (Even if they are deemed something you feel the need to run)

chrisenamels Avatar
Rhys,

The purpose of my experiment is actually nothing to do with cyclekarts, it's for a wind generator for the greenhouse. It just struck me that it might be of interest given that the question has been asked. It's only advantages over a total loss battery system are that it's always there (no risk of forgetting the battery, or not charging it), and weight. It's not a better way of doing it, just different, might even put out the 6.6 amps Brian is after.

Chris

Thanks guys, for keeping this thread current.
The more heads we get working on this, the more likely it will be
that we can come up with an acceptable solution forfeiture builders,
that are faced with heat in their engine compartments??
Brian

Smallst.......Lightest.......12V Motorcycle Battery ....???????????????
Search is on!
Brian

chrisenamels Avatar
Just realised Brian, it may well do the output you need , it's a 12 - 24v stepper 0.4A per winding, so that's 4.8W, but there are two windings. That means if one winding will generate 12v they can be connected in parallel, giving an output of 0,8A 9.6W. Add a small battery for when the kart isn’t moving and you're in business. Remember a small light battery won't run your fan for long, a 9Ah sealed lead acid will give you in the region of an hour.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 11:15 AM by chrisenamels.

My fan is 80W
Brian

chrisenamels Avatar
So it is Brian, getting crossed up with amps and watts there, had a figure of 6.6 in mind, which is your amps. Would still extend the life of a small battery though, and I'm only using a small stepper.

Chris

In reply to # 29682 by chrisenamels So it is Brian, getting crossed up with amps and watts there, had a figure of 6.6 in mind, which is your amps. Would still extend the life of a small battery though, and I'm only using a small stepper.

Chris
That is where I got crossed up too!
Brian

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 29681 by Woodysrods My fan is 80W
Brian

And a starter draws 250 amps under load, Ohms law says that is about 3900 watts, or your fan is going to draw 6.666 amps. A 30 amp hour battery is going to give you 11 hours of running with no charge. I have said enough. Just put your little motorcycle battery and a phone type solar cell on the top.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
For the smallest and lightest battery solutions, you should be looking at lithium polymer packs, like your cordless tools use, unless they are ancient.
But they are more commonly found in the hobby industry. Try Hobbyking.com. Huge assortment of packs with different charge/dischage rates.

I have already purchased two of those!
I think Rhys is right.....I just need to put a motorcycle battery in this thing and lose an extra 6 lbs
on my racing diet!
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1932 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links