CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

12V Power Source Question

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Well,my newest attempt at a battery has been marked as "Delivered" and is awaiting pick up across the line.thumbs up
It is a Battery Tender BTL 09A120C
1.2 lbs
L 4.21"
W 2.20"
H 3.25"
Says it is for "starting" not "deep cycling".......but we will see??
Hope to pick it up this week.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
scott.trosper Avatar
scott.trosper Scott Trosper
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (OK), USA   USA
Why not borrow the battery from your RC car?

I have never had an RC car?sad smiley
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Okay......disappointed again!sad smiley
I must just be a Moron!
I thought I found the solution to my 12v power source problem, just to find I have purchased the absolute "Wrong" thin again!confused smiley
Spent more money, made another trip to the USA to pick up my latest purchase (the size and weight was so perfect and I was so excited)
but it is still not what I need.
Do not buy these:
As they may be great products but are not for the application I had hoped to use them for.
Bought the wrong charger for that battery,
And the battery is a "Cranking Only" battery and has absolutely no "Storage" capacity, and is definitely not a deep cycle battery.
It becomes a trow away if drawn down under 8V, and does not like multiplechoarges.

So back to the drawing board!
Brian

Attachments:
P3051630.JPG    57.8 KB
P3051630.JPG

P3051631.JPG    48.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
Just put a 60 pound deep cycle battery in the nose of your kart. It'll give you better front wheel grip, have plenty of juice for your fan, and make it easier for rest of us to pass you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 11:22 AM by 1908Rick.

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Yeah Brian, think it might be time to take the advice some of these guys have been giving you
and find a spot for a motorcycle bat and be happy with charging it up every few days.
dg

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet (Suspended)
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
1970 CycleKart Custom "Rose"
Motorcycle batt from Aerobatteries.com or use xaltenergy.com lithum polymer cells

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 02:54 PM by Speeddemon.

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
For small batteries and light weight, try the LIFePO4 https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Phosphate-240CCA-Replaces-12N9-3B/dp/B00XWYGAUK . They are SUPER light, as in "Weighs about as much as the plastic case would". I have used one like this for portable ham radio work for a couple of years and it's amazing. They also stay charged forever, which is handy. Power curve is very flat, then they fall off sharply. All in all, a great improvement over gel-cels, IMHO.

-Bruce

In reply to # 30628 by Wikispeeder For small batteries and light weight, try the LIFePO4 https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Phosphate-240CCA-Replaces-12N9-3B/dp/B00XWYGAUK . They are SUPER light, as in "Weighs about as much as the plastic case would". I have used one like this for portable ham radio work for a couple of years and it's amazing. They also stay charged forever, which is handy. Power curve is very flat, then they fall off sharply. All in all, a great improvement over gel-cels, IMHO.

-Bruce
Thanks Bruce
BUT......that is the same battery I just bought (just the next one up). They just increase in size and weight as you increase the Ah and Cranking amps.
But after talking to the manufactures technical dept. this morning I was told they (Deltran) don't make a battery the deep cycles and is a storage battery. The "Battery Tender Batteries are designed for "Cranking" or quick bursts of power.
They sent me looking elsewhere!sad smiley
But...........you were able to use it as a power source....... and it recharged and lasted?????
Brian

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 30631 by Woodysrods But...........you were able to use it as a power source....... and it recharged and lasted?????
Brian

Yes, albeit, not a high drain power source. Are you going to use it to power an electric vehicle, or just to power the electrics like lights and stuff on your cyclekart (I assumed it was for horns and maybe a cooling fan)? You do have to watch that you don't drain this type of battery below a certain threshold, but there are monitors and things you can add if you think that's a problem. I just watched the voltage and never had an issue. It was my plan to use one like it for my fan as well. Interesting that you are getting mixed signals from the company on that. Have you actually tried it out, or did the techies scare you off with what they said?

-Bruce

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Just make half your tail section out of screen and be done with it. No holes to drill and half the weight.

S'all for now!

In reply to # 30639 by Wikispeeder
In reply to # 30631 by Woodysrods But...........you were able to use it as a power source....... and it recharged and lasted?????
Brian

Yes, albeit, not a high drain power source. Are you going to use it to power an electric vehicle, or just to power the electrics like lights and stuff on your cyclekart (I assumed it was for horns and maybe a cooling fan)? You do have to watch that you don't drain this type of battery below a certain threshold, but there are monitors and things you can add if you think that's a problem. I just watched the voltage and never had an issue. It was my plan to use one like it for my fan as well. Interesting that you are getting mixed signals from the company on that. Have you actually tried it out, or did the techies scare you off with what they said?

-Bruce
It is brand new (instructions said to charge before using as it comes 70% charged) the tech said not to let it go below 8V ever.
I bought the wrong charger.
A bit undecided at this point, as I have purchased and tried other Lithium batteries that did not work.
Brian

tiopancho Avatar
tiopancho Silver Member David Dahl
Swansea Point, BC, Canada   CAN
Check out Odessey batteries, I've used them in race cars and airplanes.

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 30647 by Woodysrods
It is brand new (instructions said to charge before using as it comes 70% charged) the tech said not to let it go below 8V ever.
I bought the wrong charger.
A bit undecided at this point, as I have purchased and tried other Lithium batteries that did not work.
Brian
[/quote]

I hooked up a 120mm computer fan and my high-tech monitoring meter to the LIFePO4 battery I have and the draw is 0.9 Watt hours. (Battery is rated at 64Wh nominally) I started at 13.39 volts and let the fan run while keeping a record of the voltage at hourly intervals.
Initial voltage at 13.39
Hour 1 - voltage down to 13.25
Hour 2 - voltage down to 13.21
Hour 3 - voltage down to 13.18
Hour 4 - voltage down to 13.15

I think there is so much excess capacity that any worries about running the thing down to the 8 volt range are moot, if you keep even a cursory eye on the voltage. All depends on how many amps you are pulling. this test bobbled between 0.09 and 0.1 amps draw.

Hope this helps,
-Bruce

-Bruce

I think there is so much excess capacity that any worries about running the thing down to the 8 volt range are moot, if you keep even a cursory eye on the voltage. All depends on how many amps you are pulling. this test bobbled between 0.09 and 0.1 amps draw.

Hope this helps,
-Bruce

Okay Bruce, if you have read this thread from the beginning, you will see that I am trying to run an 80W "Fan" that draws a 6.6 amps.
Not a computer fan that draws 0.1 amps?????
Thus, the expected short life of this battery.
Are you looking for another one?
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1942 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links