CycleKart Tech Forum

Little Tex's Miller Build Begins

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

littletex Avatar
littletex Blake Martindale
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Little Tex here
Finally got started on my Miller, Have only started on the steering wheel as for me I think it sets the whole tone for the rest of the kart ascetically speaking, plus it was the first piece I came across. See what you think so far???
An aluminum cookie tray from my local thrift store a little drilling hacksawing and filing whalaw. Still in a pickle on how to wrap it in wood though but I'll woodwork it out somehow or if some one could steer me in the right direction. Well thats it so far I will try and post more as I go thanks from Little Tex.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
miller_122_restoration_stw2.jpg    29.5 KB
miller_122_restoration_stw2.jpg

Stwl4.JPG    23.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Stwl3.JPG    22.9 KB
stwl1.jpg    18.9 KB
Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet (Suspended)
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
1970 CycleKart Custom "Rose"
Hi blake it looks great .good job mate.the woodwork is easy peasy just glue up/bisket some 5/8 x12 boards two sets of boards let set up over night n cut circles to fit steering wheel top/bottom .then drill/ rivet / plug holes with dowels /sand/stain/etc.cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 06:26 PM by Speeddemon.

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I think your "cookie tray" is going to be a little bit to light for the basis
of a steering wheel.
Probably only about 20 gauge (.035"-.040"winking smiley?

dg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobwilcox Avatar
bobwilcox Gold Member Bob Wilcox
Riverside, MO, USA   USA
1925 Ford Model T "Speedway Special"
1934 Austin America "Austin American Special"
Little Tex, Glad to see your post. What I would wrap that wheel, just a thought, is pizza dough. Once wrapped you can grip it in several places making impressions. Once done bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. All that will be needed after that is the stain, I personally think in a tomato color. If you need any more advice, just ask.
Bob W

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
Bob, you got it all wrong. It's a cookie tray, so cookie dough is what he needs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 10:39 PM by 1908Rick.

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Hi Little Tex.
Have you driven a CycleKart yet? In the heat of racing one applies a lot of force on the steering wheel, as it is the only thing keeping you in the CK.
So, Denny is right when he says a cheese tray might be a little light for the job.
Can't wait to follow your build, as I too am building a "Miller".
Good Roads
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
You guys are merciless.
But seriously Blake, just how thick is/was this tray?

bobwilcox Avatar
Riverside, MO, USA   USA
Chocolate chip would make a stunning horn button.

littletex Avatar
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Ya I know the pictures don't show how thick it is its a little thicker and heavier than it looks. I figure once the woods on there it will add more stiffness and rigidity to it if it don't work on to plan B. Glad there's only 26 letters in the alphabet cause if I ever reach plan Z I best give up

bobwilcox Avatar
Riverside, MO, USA   USA
Little Tex, A lot of the parts on my karts are from what I had laying around. The brake peddles on one car are made from old barn hinges. The wheel looks good. Keep up the good work.
Bob W

littletex Avatar
Azle, TX, USA   USA
You guys are hoot I didn't know I posted my build on the food network guess that blows my idea of making some of the parts out of old pots and pans. But seriously I will keep plugging along thanks

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
My brake drums (fake) are made from 10" Pizza Pans, and my Rad shell is from a theatre Garbage Can!eye rolling smiley
But I think they look just like the real Miller parts I am trying to emulate.
Brian

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
If you get another cookie and make another wheel you can put them back to back so you end up with a groove all the way around the wheel from the lips on the sheets. Then, use some "Great Stuff" and foam in a the rim so you make a hand grip. Once the foam is set it can be sanded and formed, then wrap it in leather. You can see an example here.
http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,603,page=2

S'all for now!

Team classic Brian S
Lyttelton Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
Yep, Little Tex, My Alfa has baking tray brake drums , teapot lid gauges, and all manner of gathered stuff. Imagination and application are all you need. Good luck. Brian S.

littletex Avatar
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Well in north Texas we have had a few days in the single digits to cold for me to want to do anything. But today its a lot warmer so I got back to cleaning out my garage which brings me to my point. While cleaning I had to take some useless junk to my local metal recycler and I got a decent penny for my trouble. But while I was there in the corner I saw some old go karts motorcycles and bicycles, I checked them out and they had some parts I could have made work except the dogone idiot welded the sprocket to the axle and all but destroyed the spindles with really crappy welds I guess thats why it got dumped. I mention this incase others are in need of some possible cheap parts this may be a good resource for some. So I did some looking around while I was there just to see what else got tossed.Came across this food basket looks like it could get used as grill mesh. I got a bunch of ideas as I poked around but that will be another trip later as I start the build. Well I'm a little closer to getting my space back tame it little by little. See the pic below thanks.

Attachments:
Grill.jpg    77.1 KB
Grill.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1911 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links