CycleKart Tech Forum

My 2017 CK build report

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tomdoo Avatar
tomdoo Tom Doolittle
Pleasant Hill, CA, USA   USA
Since my last post...

I added a pair of chrome mirrors, mostly to break up the monotony of the all-red body. They don't do much, given their tiny size and the vibration of the engine, but I think they look cool. Also added a pair of roundels in white. Still trying to decide what number to put in them.

The air scoop was mounted with a set of quarter-turn cowling fasteners. Previously held on with velcro, that worked fine but just didn't feel right. The scoop is functional and channels a considerable volume of air to the engine, but it must be removed to fill the fuel tank. I hot-glued window screen in the opening to prevent hair or hoodie-strings from being pulled into the torque-converter, because that would be really bad.

It pained me to do so because it is the only "fake" thing on the car, but I added a piece of self-adhesive black vinyl in the shape of a radiator opening. It does look good, so I guess it can stay. Down the road I may construct a fancy faux grill.

It still needs a seat. A piece of foam is doing the job for now, but I'd like to outfit it with something more comfortable and supportive. I keep whacking my elbows on the hard edges of the cockpit, so maybe a bit of padding there as well.

Regarding performance: from a full stop, on a straight run, the GPS reads 35 mph before I run out of road (about 100 yards). It feels like it might be good for another few mph beyond that. The GX200 is stock, no mods (yet). It feels much faster than it is, which is a good thing.

It turns on a dime and I've come close to rolling it. A helmet is a really good idea. On wet pavement, the rear end wants to swing around. That's way too much fun.

Braking (one rod-operated rear disc) is almost non-existent. The drag of the torque-converter is nearly as effective. Experience has taught me to let off the gas early, mash the brake pedal really REALLY hard, and scream "Oh S!@#! at every sharp turn. I've thought about adding a second disc, but read that some here may frown on that. Will probably do it anyway.

Tom

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC_1351.JPG    38.5 KB
DSC_1351.JPG

DSC_1359.JPG    51.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC_1363.JPG    26.4 KB
DSC_1355.JPG    58.9 KB
Team classic Brian S
Lyttelton Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
Nice job Tom. A very smart looking little red racer. Best wishes Brian S.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Looks good. Try messing with the lever ratio on your brake. You may be surprised.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Love your mirrors!
Who are they?
Brian

tomdoo Avatar
tomdoo Tom Doolittle
In reply to # 29719 by Woodysrods Love your mirrors!
Who are they?
Brian

The mirrors are 3" universal motorbike mirrors. J&P Cycles has them for $10 each.

Attachments:
Mirror.jpg    25.4 KB
Mirror.jpg

Wingman26 John Owens
Shawnee, OK, USA   USA
That is VERY GOOD LOOKING! Nothing fancy but it really looks good, nice clean lines. WELL DONE!

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Looking great Tom. And anyone who frowns on your improving the brakes probably never drove one. Not fast anyway.
It is quite acceptable.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Not me frowning on improving brakes, I do know that some with mechanical brakes lock up easily so, it all comes down to linkage ratios (till they fade). M. Bugatti is reputed to have said "you want me to make cars that go faster, now you want brakes????"

tomdoo Avatar
tomdoo Tom Doolittle
In reply to # 29796 by Rhysn Not me frowning on improving brakes, I do know that some with mechanical brakes lock up easily so, it all comes down to linkage ratios (till they fade). M. Bugatti is reputed to have said "you want me to make cars that go faster, now you want brakes????"

Thanks for the advice. I shall try messing with the linkage and see what can be done there. I was surprised at how ineffective the brake was. Perhaps it just needs tweaking.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 29726 by tomdoo
In reply to # 29719 by Woodysrods Love your mirrors!
Who are they?
Brian

The mirrors are 3" universal motorbike mirrors. J&P Cycles has them for $10 each.
I went to their site and could not find them???
Brin

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
Very nice build. Simple and clean.

Would a hydraulic go-kart brake do a better job than the mechanical one?

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
In reply to # 30236 by andrewroudny Very nice build. Simple and clean.

Would a hydraulic go-kart brake do a better job than the mechanical one?

The use of hydraulics is simply a mechanism to actuate !"something". That doesn't, of it's own use make it better or worse than mechanical. It comes to pad area (if fade is an issue) and the cooling ability. If the mechanical system can lock wheels, and they can when set up in that way, then hydraulic has no advantage. Now if you increase disc (rotor) size, and pad area the method of actuating needs to match that. How you achieve that.....

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
With my retrofit of a hydraulic motorcycle caliper to replace my original mechanical unit, I found that although I retained the same 6" rotor, the breaking performance improved dramatically. The pad area of the kawasaki isn't significantly larger than that of the mechanical Airhart. And in fact, the initial stopping power was capable of locking up the wheel. But with repeated hard applications it quickly became useless from fade and ultimately freezing. The Ninga unit suffers no such degradation, and I'm left to conclude that the superior design of the caliper and better lining material are responsible.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
In reply to # 30247 by CmdBentaxle With my retrofit of a hydraulic motorcycle caliper to replace my original mechanical unit, I found that although I retained the same 6" rotor, the breaking performance improved dramatically. The pad area of the kawasaki isn't significantly larger than that of the mechanical Airhart. And in fact, the initial stopping power was capable of locking up the wheel. But with repeated hard applications it quickly became useless from fade and ultimately freezing. The Ninga unit suffers no such degradation, and I'm left to conclude that the superior design of the caliper and better lining material are responsible.

I would go for the pad material being so much better that fade issues have gone away. Secondarily the better design.

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
I kinda figured. There's a reason even un-assisted hydraulic brakes work better than mechanical.

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1959 CycleKart Replica

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links