We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

CycleKart Hobby Growth

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Since joining the CycleKart movement just two years ago, I have seen an amazing amount of growth in our hobby.
Yes, there are still a vast number of automotive enthusiasts that have yet to here the word ¨CycleKart¨......just waiting to be hooked!smiling bouncing smiley
But, the number of new members here on the Forum and the number of CycleKart Chapters forming around the world, leads me to believe that
we are about to see amazing growth in the very near future.
This growth can only lead to ¨More Events¨ which will lead to even more ¨Growth¨
It is an exciting time to be a part of this movement!hot smiley
Woody

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
I agree. I can see it being similar to the SCCA where there are different regions, holding their "Grand Prixs" in several cities around the country, or world actually. I see a lot of new members from other countries too.

Slyme Dawg Ryan Hanegan
Sultan, WA, USA   USA
Hope a season at Slyme Dawg Invitational Speedway and our August 11 weekend date will help give the Karts new and old a place to run consistently. Cheers!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Albeix Al Beix E
Kaslo, BC, Canada   CAN
I Agree. While I am still (slowly) accumulating parts for my kart I am doing what I can to help promote the hobby. Peter is going to bring his amazing 10 day built cart over to the Kaslo annual show and shine on the Sunday of the mayday weekend. Hopefully that will generate some interest here in the West Kootenays

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Al also has a space at the "Spokane Car Show" for a CycleKart display, and has invite us to attend if we can!thumbs up
Brian

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
Thats great news . but i feel we Need more Ideas and places to show off and teach avg public about the ck hobby and places to legally and at no cost to drive them for gd ck exposure/etc and for further future ck growth . Cheers

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Louis
You have be asked not to post on threads generated by me, PLEASE respect that!
This is your final warning.
It is getting obvious from the lack of responses to your threads, that others are also not interested in your attempted
diversions to our wonderful hobby!
Brian

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 29549 by Woodysrods Louis
It is getting obvious from the lack of responses to your threads, that others are also not interested in your attempted
Brian

Well stated Woody, he has stuffed so much of the forum. Whoops I am being negative smiling smiley

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
I'm with you both on that, it's getting tedious.

Chris

Woodysrods Brian Woods
In reply to # 29550 by Rhysn Well stated Woody, he has stuffed so much of the forum. Whoops I am being negative smiling smiley
Thanks for the support on this Rhys & Chris.
And yes Rhys, I too am guilty of being negative on some subjects!moody smiley
Just can't stand seeing our hobby mis directed by non participants (non builders) and good threads being pushed off the
front page by crappy topics! eye rolling smiley
Brian
PS
And yes I will still monitor you, just to keep you in line!winking smiley

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Fair comment Brian. A couple of us are off to see Wes this afternoon. It's only taken a year to get a common time smiling smiley
One thing which came into my mind the other day, you guys that have such great shops with loads of space and equipment may be actually helping people to decide they can't build a CK. Most folks here in the UK, if they have a garage at all have one that you can not physically put a normal road car in. And I am talking Honda Civic size!
A number will have a shed in the garden, possibly 8' by 12', that's as big as most garages. So, what is going to help the growth (in my opinion) is that encouragement is given to the basic builds that can be done in small spaces with limited equipment, rather than knocking that idea.
I spend a lot of time trying to find ready made bits that can be incorporated as so far I have yet to find anything like Azusa or similar here in the UK. I think that if there were some supplier of those things (all the US ones I have tried either are not answering or horrendous freight costs) in the UK the hobby has a good chance of growth, and quite rapidly once the first few cars join together and go to common places. As you said a bit back Brian 6 or even better 10 will make an impression. (1 or 2 will just be seen as crazy old dudes).

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
WTF! I saw his comment fair and on topic. Have you be come a dictator, to tell who can comment or not?

Sure some of his threads are a little squirrely, but we don't have to post in them if we have nothing to offer.

In reply to # 29549 by Woodysrods Louis
Brian

chrisenamels Avatar
Rhys,

Did a bit of research and came up with a few suppliers: ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Go-Kart-Parts/175607/bn_1528223?LH_PrefLoc=1; Kart Parts http://kartpartsuk.com/; Kartstore http://www.kartstore.co.uk/shop.cfm?cat=1523&node=244.

I've bought some bits from UK Kartstore on ebay, and their service was very good.

Chris

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Know one is knocking the guys that are operating on a shoe string. And there is
no reason to knock the guy that has worked half a century to build a shop by
accumulating old broken down equipment and restoring it or building new
equipment for his shop.
I started out after getting married in '72, in a one & half car broken down frame
garage out behind the 50 year old house we just mortgaged for 30 years. My total
tool inventory amounted to a few Sears Craftsman mechanics tools which all fit
in a shoe box size tool carrier. I'd been buying them one at a time whenever
I got a buck or two since I was about 10 years old. My dad had given me
a hand crosscut saw, claw hammer and a few other spare woodworking
tools to help fixing up that old worn down house.
After going thru a half dozen old broken down $200 junkers in that garage,
I had bought a set of plans and started on the biplane in that same shed.
Scroll forward 15 years and with both of us working blue collar jobs, we'd
been saving for a new house, by then I was in my 40's. Another 15 years
and I've gotten a bare pole building put up in the back yard to keep the
junk I'd been collecting up to that time. I was still working in those blue collar
type jobs and working over time or second jobs whenever I could. All that
time I'd kept my eyes open at auctions, at work, in want ads, at garage sales,
boot sales or thru word of mouth, for old junk machinery that could be restored
or for tool bargains.
So....It's been a loooong haul to get to where my shop is now. And at 75
76 in July, I think I've earned the right to have and work in the shop that
I've spent half a century building. If anything, it should be an incentive for
the guy that is just starting out, for something to shoot for if he is going to
devote a lifetime to building thing with his own two hands.
Nice shop ya got there Brian, and congrats to all the rest of you guys that
have put years into building a home work shop.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

chrisenamels Avatar
Denny,

I don't think Rhys intended any criticism of those with the sort of shop you've worked hard to get, you all thoroughly deserve what you've worked for. It's just that the sort of space you tend to have over there can make those with limited space, and or facilities feel that they can't cope with building a cyclekart.

I've got limited space to work in, though I've got all the equipment I need, which like you I've worked hard to collect over 45 years or so. Mind you the rearrangement in the workshop that came about as a result of discussion on here, is a great success, much better use of space, all I need to do is tidy it.

I tend to agree with Rhys that simple builds is what we need over here, to encourage those who might otherwise feel they couldn't build a kart. Part of the idea with my Morgan build is that it simplifies the powertrain, by using the back end of a 125cc scooter.

Again I'm sure there was no slight intended, simply a comparison of the differences between opposite sides of the Atlantic!

Chris

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1970 CycleKart Stevenson

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links