Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Grandpa Graham came over from Dublin about 1900 Chris, probably cuz he
needed more space.
But all kidding aside, I don't personally think the casual builder is where the
sport is gonna grow. They tend to get into a hobby and soon tire of it moving
on to the next whim. I've noticed a lot of that here just in the two short years
since I've joined the group. Guys get real hot to have a CK and once it's up
and running they disappear probably looking for another thing to occupy their
idle time.
I think you need guys that are hard core gear heads that live eat and sleep
with the projects in the shop and are always looking for ways to improve on
their rides.
And that's why I've been talking, much to the displeasure of some, about
needing different classes within the world of Cyclekarting. A beginner, an
advanced and an unlimited class for instance. That will stimulate growth
and draw people in, many who would get bored with having to stick with
a yard cart formula.
But,that's just my opinion, and I hope I'm still entitled to that.
Now....back to clearing the foot of snow that piled up over night.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I guess we can all agree that there are no two shops alike???tongue sticking out smiley
We all have our favourite tools and love to use them to build "Something".......and that is what makes
this CycleKart Hobby attractive to most of us! As it doesn't take many tools, and very little space to build one of these
simple machines.
Now to get back "On Topic for this thread?smiling bouncing smiley
The fact that people are continuing to find this Forum, and hearing the word "CycleKart" for the first time, added to the fact
that there are some very enthusiastic cat herders working to organize CycleKart groups and events in their given area, is very
encouraging.
Rhys I hope your meeting goes well, as it does sound like you are about to push the snowball off the top of the hill.
Good Roads
Brian

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Thanks guys. We met at Wes' place this afternoon. He has built a superb cyclekart in a very small workshop with almost no facilities. The 4 of us discussed, at length, why the hobby hasn't grown.

The common thread was exactly what I stated. Small workshops and few facilities are a fact of life here in the UK and that folks who we collectively know ARE intimidated by the thought that you have to have all the facilities. That is not a criticism aimed or implied at anyone. You are fortunate to have got yourself, if you have a load of equipment, into that situation. We are not knocking that in any way, shape or form. Just stating perceptions. People have built cycle karts (many of them) with very limited facilities, that should be applauded, not knocked. Many of those folks have gained new skills along the way, also applaudable. Not knocking those who already have the skills and knowledge either.

After a few hours our collective thought is to "do our own thing". Do it the way that works for UK folks. A plan has been formulated. What works in other parts of the world may, or may not work in the UK. Please respect that the UK folks will achieve something without input from elsewhere.

We won't stick our noses into your efforts, please reciprocate.

DG, perhaps those folks you mention who disappear have no need of the forum, rather than disappearing totally?

That's my opinion, and as you rightly say, I am entitled to it, just as you are to yours.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Brian Woods
We will watch you from afar for now!smileys with beer
Brian

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
There will always be groups in areas where they select a set of specification for their Cyclekarts for me no question. Each will have their own requirement for events and could exclude those that do not meet those requirements. Example Scottsdale Grand Prix put on by Vintage Kart Co only their karts race, the Gittreville Tieton GP is another. The Arizona group has an open door thats bring what you got. I think the only requirement is motor size, wheels and tires. Those kinds of events will be held more frequently and most likely one hell of a good time in my book. So my opinion for what it is worth is build to what ever guidelines and enjoy. I am so looking forward to visit the Arizona club hopefully this year. Maybe organize a group road trip who is up for that?

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME RIP Special"
In reply to # 29608 by Rhysn Thanks guys. We met at Wes' place this afternoon. He has built a superb cyclekart in a very small workshop with almost no facilities. The 4 of us discussed, at length, why the hobby hasn't grown.

The common thread was exactly what I stated. Small workshops and few facilities are a fact of life here in the UK and that folks who we collectively know ARE intimidated by the thought that you have to have all the facilities. That is not a criticism aimed or implied at anyone. You are fortunate to have got yourself, if you have a load of equipment, into that situation. We are not knocking that in any way, shape or form. Just stating perceptions. People have built cycle karts (many of them) with very limited facilities, that should be applauded, not knocked. Many of those folks have gained new skills along the way, also applaudable. Not knocking those who already have the skills and knowledge either.

After a few hours our collective thought is to "do our own thing". Do it the way that works for UK folks. A plan has been formulated. What works in other parts of the world may, or may not work in the UK. Please respect that the UK folks will achieve something without input from elsewhere.

We won't stick our noses into your efforts, please reciprocate.

DG, perhaps those folks you mention who disappear have no need of the forum, rather than disappearing totally?

That's my opinion, and as you rightly say, I am entitled to it, just as you are to yours.

Rhys,

Good to see you are gathering some interest.
Anybody that would knock anyone for building their Cycle Kart Their way deserves a head check. this is a HOBBY, not a sanctioned racing organization. a CycleKart is nothing more than a Adult Yard Go Kart with style, when it all comes down to it.

I am interested to see what you all are up too, and what you all build. Great ideas come from everyone through different challenges they have during construction.

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Yes, it is interesting to see from which direction our CycleKart brothers come from.smiling smiley
I have just finished a two hour meet up with our newest B.C. Chapter member who is
coming to us from years of sports car and indy style car racing. True Racer with lots of car knowledge.
So far our Chapter members come from all walks of life and from a varied forms of auto related hobbies.
To date the one thing we seem to all have in common, is a love for things on wheels, that we can build ourselves
for a very small investment1
Oh, and the most of us are either retired or reaching retirement age.tongue sticking out smiley
Oh.......and did I mention we are all looking to have some FUN with our new toys!
Good Roads
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
This may be about the most thought provoking discussion currently taking place here.
It's beginning to reveal the truth of what the cyclekart itself, and the community that has formed around it, mean to us. Clearly many of us share similar views and angles on the thing. Others follow different drums and always
seem ill at ease, or even at outright odds with the direction or trends they perceive. Being from such diverse backrounds and geographic settings is bound to color our individual outlook and priorities. I try to take it all in and just enjoy the hell out of the mixture of the deliberate engineers being shaken in with the spontaneous wildmen. The lone wolf who contrives in a way all his own, thrown in with the strict disciplinarian who just seethes at unconvention. I also love tradition. I feel that in a place like Britain, where magnificent machines have emerged from the most unlikely structures for so many generations, it just adds to the lore that tiny shops should continue to produce exquisite examples of the craft. I also feel that if a guy has the money, space, and equipment, he ought'nt pretend he's hamstrung. Let him cut loose, and build by the dozen if it suits him. What I am discouraged by are people who seem bent on compelling others to conform. These are the people who often make their way into politics. So that, By God, people will have to listen to them and CONFORM!
Fortunately I've seen less of that here than in my other hobbies.
What really turns my crank, so to speak, is walking down line at Tieton and observing all the different ways there are to skin a cat. Some better than others, to be honest but I don't care. I just Adore the whole cocktail.
After all, it's not like anyone is coming over to my shop and doing stuff to my Kart that I don't like.
Glory or humiliation, boom or bust, I own it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Glad you find this topic thought provoking and stimulating!thumbs up
I received a list of some "possible topics for consideration from one of our own Chapter members....LMAO!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Unfortunately the were "pointed" and not the type of "Threads" most of us would be interested in, other than to
stir up more negative comments.
Cyclekarting is too much fun for that!
So looking forward to the 2018 Racing Season!hot smiley
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 10:02 PM by Woodysrods.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1913 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links