Vintage Kart Co Spindles to replace "Azusa"

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"

Hi Guys if you have the Azusa style spindles that have a lot of slop in them: great news, Vintage Kart Co is making direct bolt on replacements that will fit your existing welded "C" mount.

Dennis Thomas has tried a pair and I have posted a short video here of the pair I installed on my kart. They make a huge difference in how much play is in the front suspension. You don't have to change the bearing as the bolt is a 3/4" just like the Azusa.

The ones that Dennis and I have are proto-types....so if you want to place an order for these, there may be a short lead time because VKC may have to make them for you.

Jack at VKC also has a "Bolt Capture Cap" that will prevent the bolt from spinning in the "C" bracket and causing undue wear on the bracket and or on the bolt. You could also just weld a small piece of steel, like a piece of 1/4 x 1/4 keyway, welded next to the top bolt, just to keep it from spinning over time.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I was in line for a set of those last year about this time, but Dennis hadn't had a chance to test them yet.
Never heard back so figured they didn't pan out.

Michaud Avatar
Michaud Paul Michaud
Olathe, KS, USA   USA
I'm only a few days into learning how to build my first kart. Holy cow, I can't believe the wobble in those spindles. That is totally unacceptable, in my opinion. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, the spindles from Vintage are roughly $100 more than Azusa. It seems like a good steel bushing and/or larger bolt would do the trick for a heck of a lot less money. Brass bushings are too soft but steel would be fine.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
The issue with the Azusa is there is no room for a bushing unless you cut it apart and change the diameter of the King pin tube.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Steve, as you are quite close to VKC, is there an option to make them with camber built in?
In regards bushings, I have successfully used smaller bolts as kingpins and bushings of UHWMPE.

Michaud Avatar
Michaud Paul Michaud
Olathe, KS, USA   USA
So, I watched the YouTube video where Dennis Thomas upgraded to the VKC spindles. What he showed was that the threads on Azusa kingpin wore down because they rubbed on the bracket. That created room for the kingpin to wiggle. I'm not trying to take away from VKC's nice upgrade, I'm just trying to understand before I buy parts. I also need to pinch pennies where possible or reasonable.

I like the idea of spindles with built-in camber. Is there a standard angle?

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Camber may not be that important in cyclekarts at the speeds they can attain, but it certainly something that should be considered
as the tires are so narrow. Also it looks period correct.
2 to 3 degrees is plenty.
VKC spindles have 0 degrees. and if you mount them at a 2 or 3 degree angle to achieve this camber, you end up going the opposite
direction to the king pin inclination you should have. Same argument on king pin inclination......is it necessary on CycleKarts?
Here is a picture of what I did to get "all" of the geometry I wanted.
Brian

Attachments:
P6050633.JPG    36.2 KB
P6050633.JPG

PB251510.JPG    46.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, PA, USA   USA
Chamber also effects weight transfer in sharp turns. Look at photos of dirt track racers crossed up in a turn. Some of the severe caster & chamber set-ups make a huge difference on how cars come off the turn but a bit too far can send the car tumbling. At CK speeds this is probably not an issue and the "look" may require more than zero. With little or no test data I would be reluctant to go more than a few degrees. Modern midget [speedcar] dirt axles even have different chamber angles on the right and left sides. 5 and 7 degrees if I recall correctly. Look in the on line Speedway catalog for more info. Also Wally Pankratz book on midget chassis set up.

Neto Ernest B
Berlin, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 30174 by Rhysn Steve, as you are quite close to VKC, is there an option to make them with camber built in?
In regards bushings, I have successfully used smaller bolts as kingpins and bushings of UHWMPE.

I had to look this up....
UHWMPE

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Steve, could you post a picture of VKC's "Bolt Capture Cap"? I might be able
to use something similar to that to keep the shaft for the upper wheel from
rotation on my English wheel.
tks
DG

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
To answer a few of the above Questions.

RHYS: There is no Camber or Castor built into this part. I already had my front axle build and the "C" weldment was installed on my axle with 8 degrees of Castor (top of king pin tilted to the rear) and 0 degrees of Camber.

PAUL: The King Pin wear issue happens if the King Pin is allowed to spin freely in the "C" weldment. VKC has a part they are calling a "Bolt Capture Cap". I don't have a picture of it, but basically all it does is it prevents the King Pin bolt from spinning. You can achieve the same result by welding a small piece of steel, like a keyway, next to the King Pin bolt, not welded to the bolt, but welded to the "C".

As a note, my Azusa King Pins were 2 years old, and had no noticeable wear on them.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

rocket ralphie Avatar
rocket ralphie ralph zbarsky
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
Is there a way to contact VKC to order parts? ........ I see no phone number on their website, just the generic 'contact us' corporate email form. Is this the process...... just list stuff on that email and stand by? RZ

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Email Jack Gee at jack@vintagekartco.com

Thanks
Steve

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

rocket ralphie Avatar
rocket ralphie ralph zbarsky
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
Thanks Steve, will give that a try..... RZ

Michaud Avatar
Michaud Paul Michaud
Olathe, KS, USA   USA
I just emailed Jack earlier today to get more info about his spindles. Something I don't understand is that it looks like off-the-shelf spindles have the stub axle welded on at 90 degrees. That being the case, you can't set the scrub radius because the kingpin will be parallel to the wheel. Of course, the supplier doesn't know what diameter of wheel you have. I may have to weld up my own spindles just to get a slight negative scrub radius.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links