CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Engine size and other questions or thoughts

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Michaud Avatar
Michaud Paul Michaud
Olathe, KS, USA   USA
According to the specs the CK engine should be "200cc, single cylinder, 6.5 hp Honda OHV engine (the GX200)" - http://www.cyclekarts.com/CycleKartSpecs.html
However, according to Honda's web site the GX200 has an actual displacement of 196 cm^3 and "Net Power Output* 5.5 HP (4.1 kW) @ 3,600 rpm"
The 196cc is just listed as 200, so that is fine. I noticed that the GX numbers don't really correlate with the displacement. However, it is the HP rating that is throwing me off. I can't find a Honda engine with 6.5 hp. Once again, I guess I've answered my own question. The 6.5 hp is apparently the advertised hp, but the net output is 5.5 hp.

My next question is, how strict is this "6.5" hp rating? Heck, if I had motor that actually put out 6.5 hp, without mods, I'd already be up a full horsey. I don't know if I'll ever enter a race, so I'm considering going with the GX240 at a net 7.9 hp. Yes, I'll have to consider the extra torque. Obviously, I'm still very new to this game, so I'm trying to figure it all out and not shoot myself in the foot, or both, along the way. I haven't seen any official rules for an event, but I'm assuming each cart is inspected for size, weight, and power? I would like to be within spec, in case I ever decide to participate, but I'd also like to try to build my car close to scale. The jury is still out.

There are Honda clones, I've heard warnings against. And the Harbor Freight Predator, I've heard good things about, surprisingly. I'm inclined to spend the extra money for the Honda engine, and "play it safe". The comparable Predator is 212cc with a 6.5 hp rating, again that's likely not the real output. The Honda GX200 has a torque of 9.1 lb-ft @ 2500 RPM, where as the Predator is 8.1 ft.-lbs. @ 2500 RPM. My guess is that the Predator is not as good of engine and the extra displacement still doesn't quite make up for it and the actual net power output is probably less than the Honda. The Honda GX200 from Northern Tool does cost $200 more than the "comparable" Predator from Harbor Freight.

One last note on the topic. I really want an electric start. Is that considered "too modern" or taboo. Maybe I'll do a "crank" start, just for retro fun.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The Box Stock (Yellow) clone is an acceptable replacement engine. Any 196 cc engine with a stage one upgrade cranks out about 10hp.

S'all for now!

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 30202 by Michaud According to the specs the CK engine should be "200cc, single cylinder, 6.5 hp Honda OHV engine (the GX200)" - http://www.cyclekarts.com/CycleKartSpecs.html
However, according to Honda's web site the GX200 has an actual displacement of 196 cm^3 and "Net Power Output* 5.5 HP (4.1 kW) @ 3,600 rpm"
The 196cc is just listed as 200, so that is fine. I noticed that the GX numbers don't really correlate with the displacement. However, it is the HP rating that is throwing me off. I can't find a Honda engine with 6.5 hp. Once again, I guess I've answered my own question. The 6.5 hp is apparently the advertised hp, but the net output is 5.5 hp.

My next question is, how strict is this "6.5" hp rating? Heck, if I had motor that actually put out 6.5 hp, without mods, I'd already be up a full horsey. I don't know if I'll ever enter a race, so I'm considering going with the GX240 at a net 7.9 hp. Yes, I'll have to consider the extra torque. Obviously, I'm still very new to this game, so I'm trying to figure it all out and not shoot myself in the foot, or both, along the way. I haven't seen any official rules for an event, but I'm assuming each cart is inspected for size, weight, and power? I would like to be within spec, in case I ever decide to participate, but I'd also like to try to build my car close to scale. The jury is still out.

There are Honda clones, I've heard warnings against. And the Harbor Freight Predator, I've heard good things about, surprisingly. I'm inclined to spend the extra money for the Honda engine, and "play it safe". The comparable Predator is 212cc with a 6.5 hp rating, again that's likely not the real output. The Honda GX200 has a torque of 9.1 lb-ft @ 2500 RPM, where as the Predator is 8.1 ft.-lbs. @ 2500 RPM. My guess is that the Predator is not as good of engine and the extra displacement still doesn't quite make up for it and the actual net power output is probably less than the Honda. The Honda GX200 from Northern Tool does cost $200 more than the "comparable" Predator from Harbor Freight.

One last note on the topic. I really want an electric start. Is that considered "too modern" or taboo. Maybe I'll do a "crank" start, just for retro fun.
Electric start just cost $ and weight.
If you are good with that, it is a great option.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
H.F. Predator 212s are in very wide use and are solid reliable performers.
They also free up a couple hundred for other stuff, if staying within budget matters
to you.

CaptJimmO Avatar
CaptJimmO Gold Member James J O'Donnell
Aldergrove, BC, Canada   CAN
2006 Other Custom "BandAid Car"
Hi there Victor, can you please outline what a 'stage one upgrade' consists of, parts, engine work etc.

Thank you

James O'Donnell

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Governor delete, timing advance key (8 degrees is best), bigger carb jet with free flow filter, and a header. You can search on any one of those operations.

S'all for now!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1927 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links