CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Ben's 1935 "Steve" Austin 7 Special

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I'm in the planning stages of my build! Excited to get this thing going. After getting a chance to drive a few CKs from some generous folks here in Washington, I've settled on my inspiration car. I found this 1935 Austin 7 Special in the inspiration thread. I'll post my progress as I plan and I'm sure have a lot of questions for those that have already built one. Not sure when the first event at Slyme Dawg Raceway is, but I'm going to be on an aggressive build schedule to have my CK ready in time. More to come! Cheers!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
35-Austin-7-Spcl-DV-09-MH-05.jpg    33.2 KB
35-Austin-7-Spcl-DV-09-MH-05.jpg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
You've got your work cut out!
They were thinking about April for the opener. Good to hear your at it, Ben.

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Welcome Ben
Great Choice!thumbs up
Looking forward to following your build.
The key is to keep it simple (that is where I went wrong) and have fun!
One of our new Chapter members build a great CK in 5 weeks.
The August event at Some Dawg might be a better target.
Good Roads
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
austin-7-coupe-petrol_21438150.jpg    54.5 KB
austin-7-coupe-petrol_21438150.jpg

austin-7-monoposto-racing-car-coupe-1933-100-miles-59950_image5_300.jpg    22.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Indeed! Peter's "Redstreak" Bugatti.
The way it can, and probably more often should, be done.

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Wow, Brian. That's a beautiful piece of machinery! I am impressed. Mine definitely won't look like that out of the gate. Is the red car behind it yours too?

Deep in the planning stage now and trying my best to take the advice to keep it simple but I'm not good at listening. Ask my wife. Nothing too earth-shattering, but trying to keep the front suspension somewhat true to the actual Austin. Also, working on ways to allow for some adjustability in the front geometry. Also, I want to see if I can make the pedals adjustable so my kids can give it a try. I'll post my plans soon and would appreciate knowing where the landmines are.

In reply to # 30706 by bensko Wow, Brian. That's a beautiful piece of machinery! I am impressed. Mine definitely won't look like that out of the gate. Is the red car behind it yours too?

Deep in the planning stage now and trying my best to take the advice to keep it simple but I'm not good at listening. Ask my wife. Nothing too earth-shattering, but trying to keep the front suspension somewhat true to the actual Austin. Also, working on ways to allow for some adjustability in the front geometry. Also, I want to see if I can make the pedals adjustable so my kids can give it a try. I'll post my plans soon and would appreciate knowing where the landmines are.
Hi Ben
The blue one is the real deal, not a cyclekart! Just thought you would like more pictures for your Austin Special photo library.
And No, the red car belongs to my wife......I have the matching one in "Black"
Got a great dealers discount by buying two.tongue sticking out smiley
Good Roads
Brian

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Here are some more for you Ben, this one's at the British Motor Museum at Gaydon, https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/.

Chris

Attachments:
25994_racing-car-photos-1935-austin-seven-racer.jpg    52.4 KB
25994_racing-car-photos-1935-austin-seven-racer.jpg

20170404_110906.jpg    38.5 KB
20170404_110918.jpg    53 KB
20170404_110922.jpg    47.7 KB
20170404_110934.jpg    47.4 KB
20170404_110937.jpg    35.5 KB
20170404_110950.jpg    34.3 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
... just to add a few more information about AUSTIN-7 RACING CARs (not specials)...
At shown racing cars, everything is different than on Austin-7 standard or special cars, maybe just engine have some roots to Austin-7, but tuned a lot...
Enjoy,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
Screenshot-2018-3-8 750File0001 gif (GIF Image, 3040 × 3831 pixels) - Scaled (23%).jpg    49.2 KB
Screenshot-2018-3-8 750File0001 gif (GIF Image, 3040 × 3831 pixels) - Scaled (23%).jpg

Screenshot-2018-3-8 Austin 750cc DOHC (1937)(2).jpg    43.5 KB
Screenshot-2018-3-8 Austin 750cc DOHC (1937)(1).jpg    60.5 KB
Screenshot-2018-3-8 Austin 750cc DOHC (1937).jpg    53.2 KB
looking at the dimensions of the components, I am assuming a measurements re in BW??
Brian

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Thanks, Brian, Chris and Zoran. Really useful reference pics. I can see that the suspension on this light blue one is significantly different than the dark blue one that is somewhere in California. Interesting that they are both 1935.

I have no idea how they fit the driver's legs, an engine and suspension/steering in that front end. My CK is about 86% scale and I will barely fit everything in with no engine!

Hi Ben
Well 86% scale of an already small inspiration car is the same as 3/4 scale of a larger era correct race car.
My Miller is 3/4 scale, but the cockpit is the actual size of the actual original Miller, as they were built as small as they could, to fit the driver, while still being Aerodynamic.
Thus, you have taken on the same challenge I have with my second CycleKart build (currently at the drawing board stage) in trying to replicate something that was already a challenge for a human to fit in (and we humans are much larger than humans of 50 years ago) .........damn you Colonel Sanders and Mc Donalds!l
Work out the math and make sure you are going to fit and be comfortable driving it!
Brian
PS
Sorry for the earlier comment.........we have neither a red one nor a black one!sad smiley

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I have a question about the front wheel bearings I bought. I got these https://www.mfgsupply.com/9-328.html and they are flanged, which I don't think will be a problem, but the outer race seems to be made from formed sheet metal, which maybe will not be as durable as other bearings I've seen that look to be machined steel. Are these going to be strong enough to take the lateral forces and the speed?

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I actually built a shell out of cardboard to scale while we were watching the Oscars to find out if I would be able to get in (and out) and still have kneecaps. I also wanted to see if the pedals would interfere with the steering gear. Everything looked good - I should be able to get in and I can have steering AND brakes! Huzzah!

Attachments:
IMG_1363.JPG    23.8 KB
IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG    32.2 KB
IMG_1365.JPG    34.8 KB
IMG_1369.JPG    30 KB
In reply to # 30723 by bensko I have a question about the front wheel bearings I bought. I got these https://www.mfgsupply.com/9-328.html and they are flanged, which I don't think will be a problem, but the outer race seems to be made from formed sheet metal, which maybe will not be as durable as other bearings I've seen that look to be machined steel. Are these going to be strong enough to take the lateral forces and the speed?
You may be putting the cart before the horse (pardon the pun).......but, do you have your wheels yet?
And if so which ones have you purchased?
And Spindles??
Brian

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
Do you see the look of an enthusiastic supporter and helper. I think the wheels are on the floor next to the motor yes?

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1922 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links