CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Ben's 1935 "Steve" Austin 7 Special

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 30728 by Notso-Chinsee Do you see the look of an enthusiastic supporter and helper. I think the wheels are on the floor next to the motor yes?
Thanks Al
I did not see pictures past the first.
The wheels look new, which means they might be Jack's????? which we know take specific sized bearings.
That is why I asked.
Ben sounds enthusiastic all right and he is in our neck of the woods.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Ha! Shouldn't post after whiskey. I wrote a whole second paragraph with all that info that I decided was too much detail and took it out. Yes, I bough the wheels from Vintage Karts. So the bearings need to be 35mm OD, 19mm ID. It might just be easier to buy their bearing kit. I think that was good advice I got from Dave a while back.

And, as you noticed in the last pictures, I've been collecting parts along the way. Here's what my CK currently looks like in my basement:

Attachments:
IMG_1368.JPG    72.1 KB
IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG    78.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1366.JPG    62.9 KB
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobwilcox Avatar
bobwilcox Gold Member Bob Wilcox
Riverside, MO, USA   USA
1925 Ford Model T "Speedway Special"
1934 Austin America "Austin American Special"
The bearings you will need with the 35mm [1 3/8] od and 19.05mm [3/4] id are common to most riding lawn tractors. They are used for the mower deck spindles.

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Thanks for the help on the bearings. Next up is getting the right steering gear and front spring. I got the lightest spring I could find at Michigan Truck Spring and it's way too heavy for a cycle kart. I bought the front end of a golf cart and hopefully both these parts will be about right.

Also, sharing a few pages of my plans - overall dimensions and the frame. That's not axle grease leaking out of the rear hub, I used my kid's spirograph to draw the wheel and the pen put out an excessive amount of ink!

Attachments:
IMG_1382.JPG    57.4 KB
IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG    51.8 KB
RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Looking good Ben!

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Getting prepared to start my build on Saturday. I'm on my 3rd steel order from Online Metals so I hope I have everything I need. Lucky for me it's right down the street.

Dave: I took your advice on building the kart up high to save my back. Look what I found at Harbor Freight!

Also, while picking out all the hardware today I had to choose a color for the inside/bottom of the CK. I was going to do white or gray, but decided to go for something more exciting. See below for what I ended up deciding!

I'll be posting progress over the weekend. Can't wait!

Attachments:
IMG_1393.JPG    61.9 KB
IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG    45.8 KB
Go Ben Go!
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Is that gold!?
I didn't know Liberace owned an Austin 7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-21 11:58 PM by CmdBentaxle.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
That's a very useful bit of info with the paint Ben, never come across that type of paint before. It solves the problem of the grille surround for the Morgan, I've been looking at stainless roasting trays, but nothing's the right shape. Forming something in either abs or glassfibre shouldn't present a problem, it was the chrome finish that stumped me, now that's sorted.

Chris

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, ON, Canada   CAN
Is this the inspiration for your paint color choice...the Mclaren F1 engine bay:

RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Is that Liberace’s pipe organ?

For small parts there is a dipping process where a transfer in any colour or pattern can be done.
Brian

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
That's pretty much what my engine bay will look like. Predator up front, 4 fat pipes to handle all that exhaust. Just like a McLaren. But 212cc.

In all seriousness, the options in spray paint have really progressed since I was a teenager painting my bike. There are crackled finishes, glow in the dark (thought about it), and my favorite is a coating that won't let any liquid stick to it. I have a couple of cans of that but haven't decided what to do with it yet.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
So, Ben.
Have you done much planning on your front suspension yet. How closely are going to try to emulate
the real one?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links