How wide is a louver???

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
deleted as per Rhys Nolan request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-24 04:47 AM by Denny Graham.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, PA, USA   USA
Why not visit Lance Turner or Gregg Kishline up in Kenosha and get your louvers made on Harry's old dies? If they were good enough for Indy cars they ought to be good enough for your cycle kart. Please allow plenty of time for bench racing. I miss those guys; always fun to see what Gregg was up to.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Ah but it's a chance for Denny to make another tool, and (not unreasonably) punch the louvres himself. The research and building is part of the fun, everyone has their own approach, that's what makes the forum interesting.

Chris

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-24 04:47 AM by Denny Graham.

LowellR Silver Member Lowell Roemke
Tempe, AZ, USA   USA
These are 5/8" by 3 1/2" long with a 1/4" web between

Attachments:
1214171337.jpg    32.4 KB
1214171337.jpg

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
Denny,
I don’t think you will find a standard for the profile. Louver height and shape are subject to spacing, material thickness and hardness I know you understand what happens. I have only been around 1 louver press that was made by a friend years ago. He is a lot like you sometimes a little hard-nosed, self-taught machinist, airplane builder, engineer and good friend. It was 3” wide x ¼” tall and I think the closest pitch was 7/8” at that spacing there was a little distortion between lovers. It was not a bottoming die so the shape was a little soft but repeatable.
Al

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-24 04:48 AM by Denny Graham.

Dave 46 Robert Davison
Toppenish, WA, USA   USA
I'd have to go out and measure the hood on my truck in the morning but I think those are right at 3-1/2 and probably 5/8 to 3/4 wide. They are a little more rounded than a lot you see now The dies were old when my hood was done in 1981.

I'd think you would want to do them with the right scale and spacing for the car though.

Little French Avatar
Little French Silver Member Fabrice B
PUY DU LAC, Charente maritime, France   FRA
Hi Denny,

One of my home tinkered, the plan must be somewhere here...

if that can help ....

Fabrice

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-24 04:49 AM by Denny Graham.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Obviously there are a number of "gone posts " in this, you mostly know I didn't ask, however back to the topic

Today while cleaning my cycle car for tomorrow I noticed something I hadn't before. The original 1923 hood has back to back louvres, ie one facing forward and inwards, the other out and back. Both use the same "cut line". I tried photographing but it doesn't come up clearly. I guess it's thought to be even more efficient than only "out".

More research and I found this is quite common with European cars. I have no idea about the US,.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Interesting.
I've noticed some cars having the forward most louvers taking air in, while the father back ones let it out.
I feel a little silly asking, but does your real Quadrilette go as fast as Dumfries fake one?

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
My friend has a louver press and makes 3 sizes of louvers.
2" ....3"......4"
They are 1/2" wide for the 2"
and. 3/4" wide for the 3" & 4"
Spacing of "cut lines" is 1 1/4" for the 3" & 4" and 7/8" for the 2"
Brian

Attachments:
P5121813.JPG    26 KB
P5121813.JPG

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Probably about the same as Johnny's one! Maybe not. Tomorrow I am taking it to Shelsley Walsh. I'm also taking a calendar and a sundial to check the time. It's an untimed event smiling smiley
I am so stupid! I just went out to the garage to measure the louvres, the car is currently in a van parked down the street ready for the 6 am start! They are probably 10 or 12". Front one of each pair faces inwards,

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Hi Denny
Hope those were the numbers you were looking for.
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1970 CycleKart Stevenson

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links