CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

1931 Alfa P3 Rebuild

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Well, I am finally home from Teardrop Camping, and getting my head back into CycleKart mode!smiling bouncing smiley
First order of business was to take some pictures of my newly acquired 1931 Alfa P3.
So this is it in it's current state...........my starting point.
Although I see the damage as minimal, there are definitely some changes I am considering at this point.
I will know better tomorrow when I dismantle it and get it up on the frame table.
Stay tuned to this thread to follow my progress.
Good Roads
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
P5071799.JPG    57.8 KB
P5071799.JPG

P5071800.JPG    50.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P5071798.JPG    48.3 KB
P5071796.JPG    51.1 KB
First thing I noticed that I hope to change is the Ground Clearance.
It currently has 6 1/2" .
this will be reduced to 4" or maybe even 3 1/2".
Brian

Attachments:
P5071801.JPG    38.7 KB
P5071801.JPG

Rear Axle will also get moved back a few inches to increase wheelbase and a diff may be added.tongue sticking out smiley
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
P5071794.JPG    49.1 KB
P5071794.JPG

As I am not a fan of wood construction, and not a woodworker myself.eye rolling smiley
Much of the wood construction will also be replaced with aluminium!

Attachments:
P5071795.JPG    54.7 KB
P5071795.JPG

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Looking forward to following the progress Brian, be interesting to see how you lower it.

Chris

Hi Chris
It should be easy!
Up front I will either cut off the go kart spindles and replace with VKC spindles or just remake a front axle (again with VKC.spindles).
And in the rear, I will probably replace the rear suspension with a non suspension system, as the rear swing arm was installed incorrectly
and did not work anyway. Rear shock mounting angle eliminated the ability for it to move, and front pivot point was in the wrong location,
So school is still to on that until I get it torn down.
Might be easier to build a whole new Chassis?????????confused smiley
This one might be for sale. rather than cutting it up!tongue sticking out smiley
Brian

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
You know when you get it torn down, you'll want to make so many changes, upgrades, and improvements that you might just as well start from scratch anyway.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Studying it now I can see what you mean. Those coilovers are leaned the wrong way to work with that arm.
If it was me, I would take out the rear springs and let it bottom out. That's where I'd lock it down. Then, while I was doing the front axle work, I would drop it to match the new rear ride height. Then I'd make new upper aluminum bodywork of .032 over .125 flatbar hoops, bent to shape. Of course you would need internal support for the steering works. Then I'd use the existing grill surround, or if it's heavy, use it to make a F/G mould.
How heavy is that engine cover? Too heavy? Since there are no compound areas, I would skeleton out all the flat areas with big holes and cover it with aircraft fabric. And I'd chuck that second plywood seatback. I can't tell how many cross members are there, but if there's any more than 2? Adios! No steel going for a free ride. If it's not supporting something important, it's cosmetic.

Not that I have an opinion or anything.

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Regarding the VKC spindles. If those are Honda wheels you will need to make sure you get the VKC with the 3/4" spindle.

The standard 5/8" spindles are made to fit the VKC Thailand reproduction wheels. For some reason, the Thailand wheel and the Honda wheel have a slightly different dimension where the bearings are mounted.

Nice kart, I love the front end design.

Steve

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I guess those louvered panels would be nice to keep, unless they're steel. But Brian, what is that behind the insturment panel? Is that 1 INCH MDF? That could be your new wheel chock

Hi Dave
Yes it is 1 1/2" of laminated MDF. And yes it will make a very good wheel chalk for my CK Trailer!tongue sticking out smiley
The hood sides and top are aluminum and have very nice louvers (undamaged in roll over)
Tail is also Aluminum and sustained only slight damage.
Rad shell is also laminated wood, and heavier than it need be, ButI am down to the "just how far do I go?" stage with the body.
I took the shocks off this morning, and it does have rear suspension once they were removed.
Again, trying to decide how much modification I need or want to do back there.
I should truly be putting this project away until next winter..........but who knows.....it may be torn apart by the end of the day?
Squirrel!eye popping smiley
Brian
PS
Steve
The wheels are from Jack and it need one new rear.
Might have someone bring some up to Tieton for me?????

So, I was a little distracted yesterday by the Alfa........but just had to see how it was made?eye rolling smiley
Found a couple of unexpected things:
One, the wheels were "not" from Jack, but are real Honda Wheels (New)
Two, the spindles are go kart 3/4" axle stubs.
Three, kart was painted with a brush "after" assembly, thus only 1/2 painted.
Wooden mono cock did not receive any damage and is structurally sound, and much lighter in weight than I would have expected,
Chassis need a little finessing, and some modification to lower the kart.
Good Roads
Brian
PS
Today I am back at the Miller with only 4 weeks until we go to Tieton.

Attachments:
P5081804.JPG    46.6 KB
P5081804.JPG

P5081806.JPG    49.5 KB
P5081810.JPG    43.9 KB
P5091811.JPG    37.4 KB
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I'm not sure why you took the front axle off, now you have two wheel wheelbarrow! You better concentrate on Miller.

S'all for now!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links