We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

The w154 "Vulture" build project

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 29745 by andrewroudny I don't mind a little criticism. Makes me think of how to build it better!

Andrew, I hope you have not taken my comments as any kind of "Criticism!
As they were only meant as an "observation" not a criticism, and upon further
observation, I realized that all the components you have used that would normally be
made from steel, are Aluminum...........so you are conscious of weight and have reduced
it by two thirds with that choice.thumbs up
Keep moving forward, as we are all with you here!
Good Roads
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
No prob Brian! Criticism in a good way. The Vulture is definitely complex and will probably bite me in the ass before I get the bugs worked out. The fun for me is in the technical challenge. To see if I can create a "superior" CK that is within all the Gittreville guidelines and under budget.

I really am curious to see what it will weigh. Ive been waiting for the big game hanging scale to go on sale at Canadian Tire, but no luck to this point.

I'm making a bold prediction that after body work, it'll still be under 200lbs. Will it stay together? Who knows!

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 29723 by Woodysrods

thumbs upthumbs up All about the weight!
Have you weighed you new spinners yet (c/w caps)?
Brian

159.6 grams or 5.63 ounces for us Americans. That's with the caps and screws.

So that's about 1.4 pounds for the total package.

Rick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
andrewroudny Avatar
Hey guys. Quick engine question for you:

In the pics I've attached of my GX, there is a nozzle that is sticking out of what looks like it must be the combustion chamber. I assume this thing is a source of vacum for a fuel pump or some such thing. I'm gonna go with gravity feed for my first couple of tests, so should I plug this thing or just leave it open?

Thanks in advance.

-Nelson Mandela

Attachments:
20180216_083635.jpg    43.7 KB
20180216_083635.jpg

20180216_083642.jpg    34.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
I've not seen that before Andrew. From memory your motor was on something else before you "upcycled" it. What was that?

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 29944 by andrewroudny Hey guys. Quick engine question for you:

In the pics I've attached of my GX, there is a nozzle that is sticking out of what looks like it must be the combustion chamber. I assume this thing is a source of vacum for a fuel pump or some such thing. I'm gonna go with gravity feed for my first couple of tests, so should I plug this thing or just leave it open?

Thanks in advance.

===========================
Hello, Andrew!
From your photos, it looks to me that brass (?) nozzle isn't connected to combustion chamber, but to some place between lover par of cylinder and crankshaft case?
Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Looks like a crankcase pressure tapping to me Andrew, I'd either put a rubber cap on it, or a short piece of tube with a small fuel filter on it. You want a little one with a paper filter like these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_clu=2&_fcid=1&_localstpos&gbr=1&_nkw=motorcycle%20fuel%20filter&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2&_trksid=p2045573.m1684. I've set the search to worldwide, I looked at US only and the shipping was far more than the item cost.

Chris

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
It may well be a tapping for a pulse pump

moto-klasika Avatar
In reply to # 29950 by chrisenamels Looks like a crankcase pressure tapping to me Andrew, I'd either put a rubber cap on it, or a short piece of tube with a small fuel filter on it. You want a little one with a paper filter like these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_clu=2&_fcid=1&_localstpos&gbr=1&_nkw=motorcycle%20fuel%20filter&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2&_trksid=p2045573.m1684. I've set the search to worldwide, I looked at US only and the shipping was far more than the item cost.

Chris
====================
Hello, Chris!
You must be right!

That nozzle should be connected by rubber pipe to a carburetor, so the fumes from crankshaft case should be burned again.
However, everybody in old Yugoslavia, or now Serbia, if had old cars whit old engines - simply pull-out pipe from a carburettor and let fumes and a lot of smokes go out: clear air to carburettor - dirty air co atmosphere!
Strictly forbidden, but...

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

moto-klasika Avatar
In reply to # 29955 by moto-klasika
In reply to # 29950 by chrisenamels Looks like a crankcase pressure tapping to me Andrew, I'd either put a rubber cap on it, or a short piece of tube with a small fuel filter on it. You want a little one with a paper filter like these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_clu=2&_fcid=1&_localstpos&gbr=1&_nkw=motorcycle%20fuel%20filter&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2&_trksid=p2045573.m1684. I've set the search to worldwide, I looked at US only and the shipping was far more than the item cost.

Chris
====================
Hello, Chris!
You must be right!

That nozzle should be connected by rubber pipe to a carburettor, so the fumes from crankshaft case should be burned again.
However, everybody in old Yugoslavia, or now Serbia, if had old cars whit old engines - simply pull-out pipe from a carburettor and let fumes and a lot of smokes go out: clear air to carburettor - dirty air co atmosphere!
Strictly forbidden, but...

Ciao,
Zoran
=========================
P.S.: Sorry Chris! Now, I see that we didn't think the same?
Z.

Zoran R. Pualić

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Zoran,

No need to be sorry, the whole point of the forum is to air different views. It's a crankcase tapping for something, that we're agreed on, be it for a pulse pump as Rhys has suggested, or a breather as you suggest. Whatever it is the answer to what to do with it if it's not going to be used is the same.

Chris

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Well that's simple....just plug it!
dg

moto-klasika Avatar
Single cylinder four-stroke engines have higher air-pressure in crankshaft case if it is totally sealed when a piston is going down and negative air-pressure (toward vacuum) when piston go up!

My mistake - experience was with many old four-cylinder four-stroke engines - air-pressure in crankshaft case is more or less the same; in practice, especially with tired engines, air-pressure is something higher than atmospheric pressure
So, now I understand that nozzle shouldn't be connected to a carburettor in any case, but maybe it served to propel Benzin-pump?

Therefore, I think that this nozzle should be left opened even if we do not know what its use could be!
Some rubber/plastic pipe could be added so fumes could go away from an engine, at least for testing of an engine.

Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

andrewroudny Avatar
Perfect! Thanks guys.

There's also a breather hole on the rocker cover, which is currently duct-taped shut. Anybody know what that's for?

-Nelson Mandela

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 02:41 PM by andrewroudny.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
If not being used as part of the emission control system, or as a pressure source in a closed system, I would cap it. No good can come from leaving your crankcase open to the atmosphere.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1950 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links