CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

1928 Desoto, out of the box build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Oh come on Joey, we know! When you say you need to do things on the CK to get to Tieton, you will be allowed the time smiling smiley You might have to grovel afterwards but... Have a great time.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Hey Joey
Can't wait to see the finished product! However, I have to admit I'll miss those 10 degrees of camber. It made the DeSoto look like a cartoon race car in a good way!

BDS Delage Avatar
BDS Delage Gold Member Billy Kendrick
Leander, TX, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart French "Double Black Diamond"
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup "Ram R/T"
In reply to # 7615 by NateKartiste You could also have the T.C. come from the front of the engine and the shaft can go under it to the back.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
A.J. Foyt Avatar
A.J. Foyt Joey Verpoorten
Battle Ground, WA, USA   USA
More progress made. I think my arm fell off a few days ago, because they should call it sanding not painting. I spent days applying body filler, just to sand it back off. However it has turned out awesome! Since I was making so many trips to the paint shop I ended up getting to know one of the guys there Lamar. Talk about a wealth of knowledge, he was so much help it's not even explainable. He even opened his personal shop spray booth for me to use, and on top of it stayed up with me till 10pm last night to show me tips and tricks. Again, I couldn't thank him enough! On that note, here are some photos of the last few weeks of work.

Before I painted I had to straighten the frame from the hit. It was buckled almost 3/16"

Then it was time to put some filler on the frame where it had be fixed.

First primer! One tack coat followed by 2 wet coats.

After I let the primer cure for 4 days before I could sand it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 12:08 PM by A.J. Foyt.

Attachments:
20180531_175356.jpg    59.9 KB
20180531_175356.jpg

20180601_150857.jpg    88 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180524_140239.jpg    53.7 KB
20180527_192731.jpg    41.9 KB
A.J. Foyt Avatar
Caution: this might bore some if not interested in the painting process spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

With the primer cured for 4 days I started the sanding process. Starting with 220 grit, then 320 grit, then 400 grit and finally 600 grit it was ready for epoxy primer. Unknown to me, as the paint solvents evaporate they leave a rounded edge on the sand scratches as they shrink. This doesn't allow for great adhesion of the next paint. So right before we sprayed the epoxy primer I hit it with some gray Scotch Bright pads. Those had to be sanded in one direction only to make for a more uniform paint job.

I blew it off and loaded the kart body up for transport to the paint booth at Lamar's shop! Once there we did a once over, and got to setting up for the 4 hours of painting.

First step was the prep work. A little pump sprayer and some lint free rags and we had the Wax and Grease remover step done. Going over it twice to make sure it was clean. Step 2 was and alcohol while down on the entire surface. After that I mixed up the primer, and we did the last prep before paint. That was to lightly tack rag the entire surface, followed by lastly doing the stand it sat on.

Lamar did the first coat of epoxy primer, it's very prone to running and not a simple fix if it does, so I let the pro tackle that. After that flashed we mixed up the color!

I tried to pick the color that was close to the original car, keeping with a nostalgic tone as well. We think we nailed it on that side of things. With a 2 stage paint we just needed to put the color on to cover the surface and that's it. More color over color is a waste of time and money. 2 coats did it! I had 1/3 of a pint left for future repairs if needed.

After the 2 coats of Drumboogie Beige (I love that name) we went ahead with clear coat. That was much harder to spray then I thought. There is a very fine line of too much and not enough. I managed to stay close to the fine line of too much with netted me a decent finish. With clear the more coats ya put on the more orange peally it gets. The vertical sides are the hard part, top was easy. I sprayed 4 coats of clear on, so that will allow me to easily cut and buff it in the future if I decide to do so.

What a huge learning process. With a good teacher in Lamar, great higher end products and a little bit of God given talent the finished paint looks really good! I got the body lines almost spot on! Only 2 flying creatures made it into the clear coat, stickers ahould cover those lol

Attachments:
20180531_165120.jpg    59.5 KB
20180531_165120.jpg

20180531_165008.jpg    59.5 KB
20180602_185237.jpg    25.8 KB
20180602_203139.jpg    34 KB
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Sounds like you did everything right!thumbs up
Great Job!smileys with beer
I hope to be at that stage by next weekend to make Tieton in colour????confused smiley
Brian

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Joey
Not boring at all and thanks so much for the great info! I'm going to tag it for later reference.
Awesome work and great community building!

A.J. Foyt Avatar
I must admit, this is way way more money spent on paint then you need to spend. I used the DeSoto as a platform to learn on so I can paint future cars I have. Since I have never painted before I wanted to learn how to do it, and do it the right way. This requires the use of good products, from primer and paint to the sand paper used to the lint free rags. All of it has a place in the market of a top notch paint job, even if I'm not a top notch painter I wanted to try to do my best. I want people to understand this so you know my place, and its that simple. Would I do it again this way, FOR SURE!! I take a very high sense of pride in my work and since my time is valuable I want to make sure my finished product is as valuable as I can for my time invested. It was a great learning process for sure and I hope I have forwarded some of what I learned to others. Build on! Time to get the chassis painted so I can get this thing together for Tieton!

A.J. Foyt Avatar
Thanks guys! Thats all I ask for is to hopefully be able to forward some knowledge or skill set as best I can. Not to be the guy who just spent money, that I don't want to be. Just want to live the dream of building the kart and having a good time with it! Im going to be bringing it back to Larmar to have him drive it around his place. Maybe I can hook him on the CycleKart bug!

A.J. Foyt Avatar
In reply to # 33599 by Woodysrods Sounds like you did everything right!thumbs up
Great Job!smileys with beer
I hope to be at that stage by next weekend to make Tieton in colour????confused smiley
Brian

That's gonna be pushing it for time I would think! I'm stressing getting it ready for Tieton as it is, but it will be there if it takes midnight hours to finish!

P.S. your build is looking good. Just keep up the good work and you'll make it to Tieton with some paint on that kart!

A.J. Foyt Avatar
Here are a few update photos. Slowly getting it back together for Tieton. Cutting it close I'd say!

Attachments:
20180604_201334.jpg    54.4 KB
20180604_201334.jpg

20180605_171808.jpg    38.8 KB
20180605_172622.jpg    37.6 KB
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
It Looks just so goodthumbs up, and you are way head of me with a week to go.....and I still plan on being there with whatever I can bolt together in time.
Brian

A.J. Foyt Avatar
More update photos! First one is just some weight savings work turning down some excess steel on some parts. Second is getting the layout set for the aluminum firewall that I cut out of a small sheet. Next is the valve cover breather. Last year in the Gordon Benette race I had a bit of blow by during the race. I didn't have a filter or a tube going into the intake so it puked oil down the side of the kart. Not fun when I had to prep for paint. So I decided I would put my own setup together. First I took the cover off, pulled the center section out to access the inside. I broke the one tab off that limits the original rubber hose from being pushed in all the way. I also slightly bent the other side tab which will allow more air flow out. On the bottom is a tiny hole to allow oil back into the engine. I drilled this out a little larger to allow more oil to return when it does blow by. Before I pressed that part back on I pulled some steel wool apart real lightly and put it inside that cavity. Hoping that will help catch the airborn oil before it hits the breather tube. I'll continue in the next post

Attachments:
20180606_130755.jpg    29.9 KB
20180606_130755.jpg

20180608_150754.jpg    44.6 KB
20180608_154829.jpg    40.5 KB
20180610_141405.jpg    42.2 KB
A.J. Foyt Avatar
I forgot to mention that before I put it together I tapped out the existing port to accept the 3/8 brake line tubing adapter. Tossed an O-ring on the fitting and tightened it down. Next was to cannibalize the steel brake line. I had plans to bend it, but that failed a couple times so I ended up cutting sanding/shaping then tig welding that thin tube together. This formed up a pretty nice little breather dump tube. I installed a small rubber tube at the bottom just in case I happen to hit that area with a rock or stick it won't get pinched off. This should dump any and all fluids, or vapors out the bottom of the kart. This thing is getting close!

Attachments:
20180610_141420.jpg    38.5 KB
20180610_141420.jpg

20180610_164906.jpg    52.1 KB
20180610_171730.jpg    52.5 KB
20180610_171737.jpg    28.5 KB
PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Counting down the days until I can see your perfected Kart up close. It was great before.....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1914 CycleKart German

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links