AutoShrine Sponsor

Injunbike Avatar
Injunbike Mike Thorpe
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand   NZL
1914 CycleKart French
1914 CycleKart German "GP Mercedes"
1920 Other Custom
1922 CycleKart Great Britain "R A 30/98"    & more
Weather is rubbish here at the moment so excuse the photos, its the best angle I can get. They are of the Mercedes but most of the discussion has been on this thread. I think the rear is undertired so I am looking for the trials tires I used up in tieton.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2016-07-22 20.08.20_1_1.jpg    51.4 KB
2016-07-22 20.08.20_1_1.jpg

2016-07-22 20.08.31_1_1.jpg    46.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2016-07-22 20.09.32_1_1.jpg    55.7 KB
2016-07-22 20.09.50_1.jpg    45.3 KB
Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
This thread seems kind of sketchy Mike, I don't catch on to fast, but I assume the last two
pictures that you posted are of your custom steel billet hubs all strung up and mounted
on the Merc??? If so, they sure turned out nice.
I'm really interested in those wheels with the wider hubs. Even though you've posted that
side load problems with the stock Honda CT90 wheels don't exist, your earlier concern
about their strength is the same thing that came to my mind the first time I saw a cyclekart.
Looking ahead, I think as the performance improves on the Cyclekarts, this will become
a problem area and hubs like you've made will become more common place.
You've mentioned "you wheel guy" in the past. Did you mean you have someone who is
lacing you wheels or just the shop that's selling you wheel components?
Can't seem to find where you posted the type and size of tire that your using, they look
very well proportioned for the car.
Thanks
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL USA

Injunbike Avatar
Injunbike Mike Thorpe
1914 CycleKart French
1920 Other Custom
Sorry I wasn't clear. Usually a picture means a thousand words. My "wheel guy" is a guy who works out of his back shed lacing and truing motorcycle wheels. He has built all my Indian wheels over the last 15 years. He supplies the spokes and nipples. The tires I have are 2.50 17s. they are "goldenboy" and only cost $10 each. I really liked the 2.75 trials tires I used in Tieton. They were soft and had a great scrub feel on the pavement and didn't feel like they would bite, and plenty of grip off road

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Incredible looking wheels Mike!

Dennis G
I think everybody would agree that the Honda wheels are pretty stout seeing how much abuse they took at the orchard! It's the spindles and springs that are the weak links.

Also, IMHO, I hope the "performance" of CKs in terms of speed doesn't improve. From my experience at Tieton they're perfect for what they're intended. Granted, I think everyone there would agree that improvement in front end components and driveline durability will be welcome so the close competition can continue without pesky breakages. I think the kind of performance improvements we'd all like to see is everyone finishing their heats, not faster lap times.

Injunbike Avatar
Injunbike Mike Thorpe
1914 CycleKart French
1920 Other Custom
Bryan
I couldn't agree more with your performance comments. They go plenty fast enough. Their performance is scale to the prewar cars which is incredible. To go faster will make a Cyclekart evolve into a post war looking car. Smaller wheels, lower cog. I didn't come home from Tieton thinking I need a faster car, Once the engine was running how it should, it was that I needed bigger balls to drive the thing. Looking at the few vids I took in the orchard. Guy Gadbois in Sasha did not lift off the throttle going into the first bend nor did Cagno for that matter. where I know I lifted. So I am confident the Mercedes was every bit as fast but Those two had 300 yards after 6 laps just from their driving skills.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Sure like to see some of that action Mike.
Dennis T. has the trip out to the orchard posted and I'm sure he has
some action footage coming also when he gets the time.
I like the side notes Dennis posted on the videos of the race in town .
From the way the pack was strung out I'd say the pole sitter needs to be
briefed a little more on his role in the pace lap during the drivers meeting.
If I were flagging it i'd have tucked the green under my arm and given them
another go around signaling the pace car to slow it down.
A lot of the drivers seemed reluctant to tighten up the pack also.

How are the karts line up,long straw draw? I didn't see any sort of
qualifying for position? The only fast kart that I saw coming from
the back of the pack was Dennis's Mono-Block, which once he
got to rollin' was passing dang near everyone. It sure looked to
me like he was hungry for a win, in spite of what he might have
said that "the first kart across the line is not always the winner."
You guys can say what you want about competition not being the
object, but once A.J. jumps in the cockpit, straps on a helmet and
gloves and the flag goes down, the race is on! It's not much different
than the dog chasing the rabbit, the one who catches it....is a winner.
I've never seen the last place finisher take home the gold or glory in any
sort of race, whether it was on foot, wing, water or a rolling thunder .

dg

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Denny.. A couple words on things.... For the in town GP race the heats were done by trying to match similar performance cars. Once the police led the lap it did get strung out...a lot. Differnt reasons, doubt a lot of that can get fixed.

For the Gordon Bennett road race we were all lined up in one long line. Dennis T & Guy Gadbois in the Sascha were trying to be the very rear... Knowing I had a sicker car I chose to be tail end as I knew those two would take off & they did....immediately to the left & floored it.

The orchard I wasn't there for this year.(left early)..but in the past the cars are again grouped about 6-8 in the grouping based on similar speed cars. (Dennis T will have lots of footage).

Each of these are obviously radically different courses & for the most part the karts run differently on them...or at least mine does. Mikes comments about driving style & lifting your foot off the accelerator are bang on. Now the winner of the in town GP race ...was indeed not the first accross the line... Winner in the GB & in the orchard were.

Rosengart LR2 Special

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
I think it needs pointing out that the town "races" are not really that, more parades. Last year when I was there we were told to hold place on the "parade lap" and pass nobody, must have changed this year. "Racing" starts at the green flag.

1901Olds Art Rosbottom
Whitby, ON, Canada   CAN
1901 Oldsmobile O4 "Thumper"
Hi Mike
Can you supply the “general” body dimensions for the Alfa? Would really like to put one together.
Art

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Hey Mike, how did those billet hubs work out???
Did you ever get a wheel strung up with them??
Judging from the cast knock off/on's that you've made, it's obvious that you
have access to aluminum casting, so have you considered casting some
faux Rudge hubs to cut down on the CNC time over the billet ones you made?
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Injunbike Avatar
Injunbike Mike Thorpe
1914 CycleKart French
1920 Other Custom
Look up. Photos of laced wheels on merc. Worked out mint. There is no saving to be had by casting a hub. I have another set sitting here but guess what? They don't really suit my next build.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Sorry bout that Mike. I'm just a sorry forgetful old dude and had to go back and spend an hour
or so rereading what was posted a couple years ago. All the answers were there, in the the
past discussion.
dg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links