CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

UK based cycle karts

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Thanks Rhyseye rolling smiley
I am in Vancouver Airport on my way home after buying yet another "distraction" yesterday.
Only 1400 lbs heavier than my CK.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
fullsizeoutput_1120.jpeg    88.2 KB
fullsizeoutput_1120.jpeg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
This has always been such a vexing issue.
In a place so rich in motorsport history, where everything from tiny motorbikes to giant aero engined
behemoths are exhibited side by side as at Goodwood. A place where the most raw and pure motoring
experience is cherished perhaps more than anyplace else, and the little cyclekart struggles to establish
much of a following. You give a frustrated gearhead an option that is inexpensive, easy to build and store, and more fun to drive than most people would imagine, and it should be a dream come true for him. Could it be that they are TOO attainable, and thus lack prestige? Do they seem little too childish or simplistic or under engined to be taken seriously? The ONLY antidote for these impressions has not changed. They must be available in
sufficient numbers for people to experience first hand. This requires intrepid pioneers like Dumfries in Seattle or
Thomas in Arizona. People who will push through, alone in their apparent madness, with the determination to eventually affect others. The rapid growth Brian enjoys in B.C. is the DIRECT result of these new people having been in close contact with, not videos, but actual cyclekart activity. Tieton, Slime dog Speedway, or just a visit to Don's to drive his Bitsa have been the germination of this. When Dennis started in Arizona, what 6 or 7 yrs ago?
Who did he have within a thousand miles? Now look! It shouldn't come down to Rhys to have to build a 3rd or 4th kart to drag people along at this point, either.
If you are genuinely interested in a cyclekart, it is ABSOLUTELY worth a cheap Airline ticket to get
to where one is and drive it. Come drive mine if you can, for that matter.

Well said Dave!
And great offer, it definitely puts the ball back in the court of those that say they would play if there was someone to play with.
Sort of like the "Field of Dreams"winking smiley
Good Roads
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Shortspan Graham H
Leicester, Leics, UK   GBR
Thanks Dave and Brian. I can see how much passion there is for CycleKarting. I am hopng to have a chat with Rhys and understand first-hand more about the opportunities and frustrations over here.
Graham

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
If it was only 3rd or 4th, try 7th! I have got some of them running, some so close, and then folks take them over and park them forever!

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
See! So many I can't even keep track.
And it's largely the same problem here as in the U.K. We just have a bigger population to draw from in
North America, I suppose.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
I will start building as soon as I'm able to make myself some space to work. There are a couple of reasons for wanting to build a cyclekart. One is to get myself a hobby again, both of my main ones have become businesses, so to some degree I have lost them as hobbies. The other one is to regain my confidence, for some reason I have lost confidence in some things I used to do routinely. Once my kart is built then I'll get out with it and spread the word. I'm not waiting for A.N. Other to build before I do, just getting started has both physical (somewhere to work), and psychological (lack of confidence) obstacles which have to be overcome.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-26 03:23 PM by chrisenamels.

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Heck Chris, that's no excuse, it don't get much more crowded than this,
and dang cold also. My downfall is feeling the need to start other projects
that I feel I might need when I get down to some serious kart building.
DG

Attachments:
Trying on for Size 03.JPG    48.4 KB
Trying on for Size 03.JPG

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
16 huh! Why…..that’s almost enough for the feature race Brian. Hope they all
come thru for ya this summer. I’m sure you’re gonna draw a few more in from
across the border.
After that oration I hope you’re planning on making it to the first Grand Prix of
British Columbia Dave. But you did fail to mention, that for them to be “available in
sufficient numbers for people to experience first hand” we’re gonna have to get some
builders to build for the less skilled and the masses….in short, (dirty word here)
Factory built karts.
Brian….is that a real TF???? Your ship must have come in.
dg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Well Chris, I think you will find your cyclekart build to be a very enjoyable experience to get back into the swing of things with. Especially if you haven't built much recently.
Denny, If I'm not mistaken, I was one of the 1st to commit to the Canadian G.P.
As far as factory built karts go. I'm not sure a guy could stay in business selling them for less than 5 or 6 grand.
And for that someone might get only a very dull and impersonal machine.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Probably not Dave, at one or two at a time. But......put a batch out
every week or so that are ready to go cept for....you furnish the motor
or put the body of your choice on their chassis.
Or manufacture a few simple body styles that would be easy to customize
....what the hay, $5K is still half the price of the VKCo karts.
I think CycleKart UK still has their doors open. At least it looks that way
when you pull up their site. Their kit is offered exactly like I envisioned
it, less a body, they are roughly $3200 US (£2200 GDP)
That covers all of the really difficult tasks that the average guy might face.
cutting up some ply wood or rolling some aluminum over a 5 gallon bucket
wouldn't take Joe more than a couple of nights and he's got him a Cyclekart,
ready to run with the big dogs.
dg

In reply to # 29100 by Denny Graham 16 huh! Why…..that’s almost enough for the feature race Brian. Hope they all
come thru for ya this summer. I’m sure you’re gonna draw a few more in from
across the border.
After that oration I hope you’re planning on making it to the first Grand Prix of
British Columbia Dave. But you did fail to mention, that for them to be “available in
sufficient numbers for people to experience first hand” we’re gonna have to get some
builders to build for the less skilled and the masses….in short, (dirty word here)
Factory built karts.
Brian….is that a real TF???? Your ship must have come in.
dg
My ship has been sitting at the dock for quite some time now, just waiting for something this good to come across my plate, so I could unload some the cargo!winking smiley
Brian

chrisenamels Avatar
You're quite right of course Dave, just the mental block of getting started, and the need for dry weather to clear the shed. Though it just struck me that doing some rearrangement in the workshop might allow me to make a start on the chassis, since it's going to be under 5' long, the back end of the scooter making up the other 3'.

Denny, if only I had that much space to play with, what I've got, other than a possible bit of space in the workshop, is a 12' x 8' shed. I need a few days of dry weather, so I can empty it, chuck out the rubbish, and organise what goes back in. Possibly the end of next week, if the forecast is right, but I've been saying that for the past 6 months, and it always changes to rain before we get to the end of next week.

Chris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 04:08 AM by chrisenamels.

Attachments:
20180127_092221.jpg    42.7 KB
20180127_092221.jpg

20180127_092256.jpg    36.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Well that certainly looks like a 'bute Captain . Wasn't that the last of the breed
before MG took on the new look?
Sweetie face's old boss had a flawless TD which he drove to work in every day,
weather permitting.
A couple of years after we were married, I bought a brand new Carmine Red
'75 TR-6 with the tan leather interior for my wife. Like the dumb ars that I was
at the time, I wrapped it around a little oak tree one night when a buddy and I were
out tavern hoppin'. A one year old car and the insurance company totaled it.
Every one I've looked at for the last twenty years is rusted out to the point that it
would take major panel replacement to bring it back. Oh well...we still have the
memory if nothing else.

They're called, a Garage in a Box Chris. 10ft. x 10ft., $129 US on sale,
it goes up in an afternoon and should be good for a couple to several years.
Looks like you got lots of open space from that picture....that is, at least you're
not bumpin' elbows with the neighbors.
dg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 06:17 AM by Denny Graham.

Attachments:
HF 10x10 Garage in a Box 03.JPG    33.7 KB
HF 10x10 Garage in a Box 03.JPG

chrisenamels Avatar
I was considering one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-3M-x-3M-4M-6M-9M-Waterproof-PE-Gazebo-Garden-Marquee-Canopy-Party-Tent-/111303101684?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275, Denny. It would be more work to level and slab an area for it to stand on than to sort out space in the workshop and shed though. Looked again at the workshop, and rearranging things will give me an 8' x 5' space to start work, can't do the full build in there though, a 40" wide kart won't fit through a 30" doorway. When I'm out Tuesday I'll pop to http://www.adclad.co.uk/ in Llanwrda, might treat myself to some steel for my birthday!

Chris

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1924 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links