The Pub - Off Topic

UK based cycle karts

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Does seem to raise some questions, doesn't it Dave!
By the time one gets the 6.5 pony's back to the rear
axle, I'm sure there are plenty of losses incurred.
Besides....judging from the weight data that Don posted
last month, on a pretty standard Stevenson formula kart,
it really showed some surprising results. Other than a few
twists and turns in the frame, which put the contact patches
off square a bit....all in all the front to rear averages with driver
on board, come out nicely balanced with way more weight on
the front end than I would have thought.
I almost think now that, besides the complexity of the drive line,
having the engine in the front on these would put to much
weight on the front wheels, resulting in an over steer condition.
I'd still like to see a lot more of the builders do a comprehensive
weight and balance like Don did and post a report here on the forum.
Joey V's front engine GX200 was a very nicely done front engine kart,
which he posted lots of photo's of the build. I see he got to run it at Tieton
this past year. I'd really like to hear what his feelings are as to how it
performed.....and......it would be very interesting to hear how the
weight and balance came out, loaded and unloaded.
DG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-04 01:19 AM by Denny Graham.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Dave,
Don't forget about Joey's DeSoto! He definitely finished it and brought it to Tieton. Front engined and one of the coolest Karts I've ever seen! He was barely done with it but it ran great, looked great, and was fun to drive even with all that crazy camber in front.

I too am hankering to see more of Wes's T700. Wes, are you out there?

Denny- I now see that you posted an acknowledgement of Joey's DeSoto. Trust me, it drives great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-04 10:46 PM by PDXBryan.

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Thought you may have breezed over that last paragraph Bryan. Yes, Joey's kart was
very well done. That brief shot of him in the parade at Tieton is the only thing I've
seen or heard of the kart since he got it up and running.
Would like to have seen some action shots of it cornering.
dg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 05:38 AM by Denny Graham.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Oh, I haven't forgotten the DeSoto. But the fact that it's so far the only example of a successful front engine runner we've seen speaks to how challenging the setup really is. He's got the cockpit way back so the balance is probably pretty nice. Power to the wheels frankly, appeared down a bit to me. Wish I'd had time to hang around and ride swap with more guys Sunday night, but I was beset with a crew with get homeidess.
Won't happen this year.

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Rhys,
You started this topic some 18 months ago, still known as Pierro Taruffi and still living in New Zealand!

A lot of views - more than 10 thousand, with 184 posts until now - near the top of the PUB!
Quite a good result for small CyleKart playground filed as the UK is still.
So, what is new in your Kingdom? Any news about your Peugeot Quadrilette, or about future -built vintage cyclecar, original?

Do not like too much when you are silent, here in the PUB and even more in real CK life - CYCLEKART-TECH subforum!

Ciao
Zoran

P.S.: from the first post:

How about ALL the UK folks put themselves on this thread and indicate whether they:
a) are interested watchers
b) started but not made much progress
c) started and slowly moving forward
d) rolling chassis
e) near finished
f) ready to go.

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Yes, we can't wait until at least 6 (10 would be better) of you could assemble your group with finished CKs tin one place for some fun!
Brooklands or a traditional Hill Climb????
Someone step up as the initiator or leader and start a ROSTER, then communicate amongst each other.
There is strength in numbers!
It will happen faster than you think.
Woody

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Denny
I did get to take a "joy ride" in the DeSoto and as I remember, it was a gas! Not the fastest but held it's own very well. Especially when you consider that when unloaded it at Tieton I think it was the first time he'd driven it! Pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Zoran,

I'll be starting shortly, collected everything I need to get going, just have to sort out some workspace, weather and work permitting.

Chris

I don't have a video of the Desoto at Tieton,
But, I do have a visual memory in my head from positioning myself in corner 1 and 2 at Tieton,
just to watch his front end react in those corners. The amount of Camber was question I wanted to observe.
There was noticeable shimmy in both corners, but was obviously controllable as they seemed to not let up and came out fine????
Brian

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
I will try to answer as much as I can in one post.
Yes Zoran, I started this thread when I was still in NZ and about to migrate. I wanted to see what the situation really was here in the UK and to decide whether to bring the bits I had with me, or one of the part complete cars. Yes I do have my Peugeot Quadrilette, started on the cycleCAR, and still think, most days about another cyclekart. I have told a couple of folks who are keen that I reckon I could build my next in 3 weeks, and it would be very much a Stevenson one.
Subsequently I made a number of calls to venues, paid visits and was only once turned down for a place to run, as they were going to be sowing crops in the fields . Brooklands was excited and wanted us. A few people said they would show up to have a look, but I felt it better to decline until there were at least 3 running cars. If there are that many now, I have no idea.
Woody, you harp on about a group/register/roster or? but until there are a few cars to even look at it is a waste of effort. Right now if there are 3 running cars in the whole country I don't know about them, let alone 6 or 10! Here in the UK folks thinks it's a major trip to travel 50 miles, in many cases. I am really unsure what more I can do.
The thread has had a lot of hits, plenty of them are off topic, eg looking up google maps etc. Discussion of other types of cars in the US etc don't help people to enthuse. You might think I'm wrong, but the phone calls and emails I've had express that quite strongly.
I concur with Zoran's suggestion of a poll. I tried it on the facebook page and got 1 response!

Rhys
One thing I did when I started our B.C. Roster, was to go fishing.
As new members signed up on the Forum and I saw the Canadian Flag, I PMed them explaining what I
wanted to do, and asked if they wanted to be included on the "B.C. Official Roster" to be shared with others on that Roster.
Finished CK or Not!
Group has grown to 16....... with most actively building.
We share progress reports, pictures, and information outside of the Forum.
And I hope that we as a group will sponsor or organize a major CK event in the very near future.
We are quite spread out geographically, but 300 miles means very little to most of here!
Keep trying man!
"Build it and they will come!"
Brian

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Perhaps that what you are saying is that I am the wrong person Brian.
I tried that in NZ, fail.
I tried that in the UK, emailed every one of them , fail.
Different folks, different strokes. Thanks for pushing me back into the cave.

TheGIantTribble Avatar
Chelmsford, Essex, UK   GBR
The problem here in GB is 'we don't have a Dennis Thomas figure', 'we Brits have a natural reserve', 'we Brits don't like travelling a few miles', 'here in the UK we don't have gardens the size of Texas...

We can concentrate on a whole lot of what we don't have, have ourselves slapped around the face with the 'no one ever finish's building a CK over here' great way to reinforce the negativity
or we can look at what we do have.

Several people building albeit slowly, plus some people about to start. As soon as one is finished, paraded at car meets, setting slowest time at a hill climb, and videoed in action everyone else will speed up, pull their collective socks up.
Snowball will start descending down the hill getting faster and bigger. I feel certain I aint the only one whos other half has suggest I get on with some household chore or other, instead of working on the project because there is no on else to play with at the moment.

Is it frustrating...yes...or as I like to think of it, we are just giving the rest of the world a head start! grinning smiley

In reply to # 29389 by Rhysn Perhaps that what you are saying is that I am the wrong person Brian.
Hi Rhys
By the sounds of the above post, I think you have a total "Misread" of the intention my post?????
It was to "inspire" and "Create Hope" not to bring out even more "Negativity"
Take a "Positive Pill" man!
Beat the "I think I can" drum, and get some followers! Or inspire someone else to step up to the task ahead over there!
Bill sound like he might be just man you guys need to start your snowball rolling!smiling bouncing smiley
Hiding in a cave is just not acceptable!sad smiley
Brian

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 29389 by Rhysn Perhaps that what you are saying is that I am the wrong person Brian.

No Rhys, you're not the wrong person, just ahead of the scene here, as Bill says there are those who are building, or about to start. Once those karts are finished things will start to take off, no one can force it. Once there are enough karts built your groundwork will come to fruition, I for one will be wquite happy to drive the 160 or so miles to Brooklands, and other venues. Your efforts are appreciated, not a fail, just too early for the way things are progressing here.

Chris

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1950 CycleKart Post War

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links