CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

UK based cycle karts

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I am with you 100% on the "Recognizable Inspiration Car" requirement.
My meaning of the word "unique" is that the CK clone can be built using the construction materials
the builder is most comfortable with! ie. canvas, wood, fibreglass, steel, aluminum, etc. to create his or her
replica in CK form.
Brian
Sitting by a raging river under the moonlight in the mountains of North Central Washington.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Rhys,

I think you've got it spot on, a clear goal, with flexibility as to how you get there. One of the things I find interesting is the different approaches individuals take to getting the same result, I'm with Brian on his interpretation of unique as applied to cyclekarts.

No offence taken to your mention of me, I have a good grasp of English English. I was careful in my selection of the donor scooter to stay within the spec, 7.5Hp, some of the higher quality scooters put out up to 15Bhp, something anyone following my lead needs to watch out for.

Bill,

My scooter is single cylinder, but no rev counter, I've been looking on ebay, but all the single cylinder ones I've found are high rpm, and all the low rpm ones I've found are multi cylinder. Sometime I'll investigate converting a multi cylinder one to single, but at the moment I'm too busy with other things.

Chris

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Seems that we are pretty much on the same page.
Chris and Bill, check out a small engine place for your rev counter (personally don't know why you need one) we used to have 2 different ones to set idle and governor engaging. One you pointed towards the spark plug, another had a wire wrap around the plug lead. Both worked equally well and checked against each other pretty closely.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheGIantTribble Avatar
Chelmsford, Essex, UK   GBR
Thanks for that info Chris, kinda glad it's not just me being blind!

Rhys I can't speak for Chris, but personally I don't 'need' one, I want one.
The logic goes something like this...
I like a dashboard with instruments, I consider them aesthetically pleasing, I know I can have imitation ones, or fit real ones but not hook them up, but if I go to that much trouble I might as well have something that works.

Or I stamp my foot and declare loudly 'it's my CK and I want what I want' spinning smiley sticking its tongue out smoking smiley

As regards your guidelines...like it, especially the bit allowing a bit longer length, would have helped with the current CK, and will help with my next project, just don't tell the Mrs smiling smiley mind you the 1950 cutoff might be a slight problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-05 03:16 AM by TheGIantTribble.

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Geoff
Your Wolesey looks spectacular! It'd be worth a trip across the pond just to see it run.

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Rhys
I like your thoughts and philosophies from your earlier post. In the UK it will be the Nolan Formula!

maybug Avatar
maybug Geoff M
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK   GBR
As these rules are up for discussion I would like you to consider the following.

quote="Dennis Thomas,10639,10640"]
Hi Tim, The measurement I see in the photo will fly. The guys at gittreville typically wouldn't quibble over this in my opinion (they didn't pull out a tape measure). On my karts I measure the track from the center of tire to center of tire and I am at 38". This put my overall outside at beyond 39" but they are OK with that because we are talking about fractions of an inch. Their goal is to have all of the karts very close to the same overall size (girth) so you are in good shape where you have it now.

Your build is moving along nicely! Your kart will fit right in with the Seattle boys and I look forward to wheel to wheel action with you (I'll be ahead smiling smiley) in the Grand Prix
[/quote]

It is stated in this previous quote above that the track of a CK should be no greater than 38" (965mm) measured at centre of tyre. My measurements show if you achieve this the total width with stub axles and nuts is 1080mm, and between wheels with tyre bulge is 1050mm.
After reading the previously proposed max width of 1020mm I was about to reduce the width of my Hornet by trimming the mudguards with the chain saw when I noticed that the measurement between ends of stub axles is also 1080mm so no point, seriously, can I propose that the width is measured at centre of the tyre at 38" or 965mm as in USA.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
While you're at it, be sure to specify where the wheel track is to be measured. Camber obviously having a big effect on this. Simply measuring at the ground saves some possible confusion.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Good suggestions.
IN NO WAY IS THIS EVER GOING TO BE THE NOLAN FORMULA. If that is a serious suggestion I bow out of any further discussion. Please US guys, leave the decisions to the UK guys who are quite capable of making decisions. It's not that collectively we don't value your input, just make suggestions.
In regards track, personally I believe it should be centre of tyre patch to centre of tyre patch, on the ground. That's the normal definition of track. Gittreville modified that to cope with some folks who wanted to push it, but had to put a mark in the sand. Existing cars should be allowed to maintain their use, but somewhere it needs to be dealt with by a consensus of those who currently own and build them in the UK. (That's my opinion FWIW). A previously stated it's a discussion document, as I believe if you don't have a start point there is never going to be a finish.
Geoff, don't touch it!

Fact; all cars were measured at Tieton 3 and 5 to my certain knowledge, I watched it happen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-05 03:37 PM by Rhysn.

chrisenamels Avatar
Centre to centre at the ground seems reasonable to me, as you say Rhys it's the normal way to measure it. As I read it "Nolan Formula" wasn't a serious suggestion, just a wind up from across the pond!

Chris

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Oh for cryin' out loud, Rhys, I was just having a little light-hearted kidding (US for joke). It wasn't really even a suggestion, just my way of showing my appreciation for your excellent ideas, not any desire whatsoever for world domination. We're not all Donalds ya know! Sheesh!

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I only witnessed the measuring process once, at Tieton 5.
As every car was rolled up onto the scales, it's wheels had to fit into two spaced channels.
Either they fit, or they didn't. I did however notice that they let a few go that rode up on the edges a bit.
This year, from what I hear, I honestly don't know if any such gauge will be employed. I hope that it is, as
I'd personally hate to see wider and wider Karts. Still, I would never presume to impose my own preferences
onto someone else's events. If I wanted to be King, I'd found my own organization and run it with Stalinist
authority. As it stands though, I am merely a guest participating at the pleasure of my hosts.

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
As I see it.......if we are all using the same basic components, the overall track width is almost the same for everyone??
The use of a peerless diff, with VKC hubs, and CT 90 wheels, puts everyones rear track exactly the same.
And if you want your CK to look correct the front width should be a close match????
I don't see anyone disputing those #s.
Brian

chrisenamels Avatar
I took it in the way you intended it Bryan, but it just shows how things can be misinterpreted in print when they would be quite clearly a wind up if you spoke them. Conveying the tone of delivery is very difficult in print, which is why I avoid trying to do it.

Chris

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Ok, so moving on..
Track centre of tyre patch to centre of tyre patch at 39", then using the kart spindles, as most do, someone puts spacers inside the hubs and moves it out 3/4" each side. do you then say it can't run? (Personally I wouldn't, just posing a question). Or has someone deliberately measured in narrow knowing what they were intending??
If it ever came to people being that serious I would be reluctant to invite them to another event, pragmatic way of dealing with it? After all that's moving right away from the whole concept of what the hobby is about isn't it?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1927 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links