CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

UK based cycle karts

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

WesR Wes Raynor
Leicester, Leics., UK   GBR
The wheel is a 14" Pit Bike front wheel. It came with the knobbly tyre. Overall diam. is just a little undersize and today just received a Michelin City Pro80/90 scooter tyre which is spot on for the front. I may get slightly larger ones for the rear. The wheels on the much restored car shown are slightly smaller than those on the original 1926 version but if my car looks anything like this, I shall be well pleased.
The motor is a Honda clone 200cc.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image1.jpg    79.1 KB
image1.jpg

panhead51 Benjamin Thomas
Solihull, west midlands, UK   GBR
It's coming together really nicely Wes.
Is anyone in the U.K getting a CK built for next year? I'd be keen on helping organize meets and races if there is enough off us. I have some potential sites in mind

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
Hi Benjamin
as long as my knees hold together I will have one in Tamworth area early next year, so pretty local to you, so it should be a great area. I did speak with a few folk last July about using fields they had being used for boot sales and a rock concert and they liked the idea, as well as a couple of more formal sites.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
panhead51 Benjamin Thomas
Solihull, west midlands, UK   GBR
That's good- so that's potentially three !
I also have the potential use of fields and there are some go kart tracks here in Birmingham

WesR Wes Raynor
Leicester, Leics., UK   GBR
I have found leaf springs difficult to obtain here in the u.k. but finally contacted Midland Springs at Nottingham who have custom made a pair for me for £50 each. They are from 40mm x 4mm steel and seem good. Until I get the car on it's wheels I won't know if the stiffness is correct but they will happily make an extra leaf if necessary. My car is front engined so a little heavier up front than normal.

Attachments:
DSCF9925 (640x398).jpg    20.4 KB
DSCF9925 (640x398).jpg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
If you make the front solid mount and the rear on a short shackle, then they look just about right.

S'all for now!

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
I come under the heading of "interested watcher" too, when I build something it'll have to be a two seater and road legal to justify the effort. I did think of the Black Prince that I posted in the Inspiration Cars thread, but I'm tending towards my original idea of a Morgan F2 style (or maybe a Runabout). I'm thinking in terms of using this engine for propulsion: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192010178897?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2661.

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Chris,
That looks as good power for light road-legal mortised vehicle, in spite rather high price. However, with transmission and revers, probably with ell-generator (alternator) - it shouldn't be too bad.
Only, maybe I wasn't too careful, but I couldn't see any information about performances (at least max power) and about type of transmission. Is it CVT, similar to Comet and clones, or just centrifugal clutch with chain reduction in oil-bath?

Any more information?

With such displacement, it would be classified as heavy three-wheeler or heavy quadricycle according to EU directives. Are there something similar but with 50 cc? Could later be installed cylinder and piston of 90 cc or even 125 cc at 50 cc base? Some persons that I know did that in Serbia, riding Chinese scooters with more power but with simple and cheap registration for mopeds...

Ciao, Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-30 06:14 PM by moto-klasika.

chrisenamels Avatar
Zoran,

It's a CVT transmission with a forward / reverse gearbox on the output, so it'll go as fast backwards as forwards. That means the engine could be installed whichever way round was more convenient. It is fitted with generator coils and so would provide power for lights and battery charging. From research otherwise the standard engine produces 10 BHP, with a larger carb, and free flow exhaust that could be boosted. A heavy quadricycle here comes under the MSVA testing, the requirements of which aren't too onerous, and should be fairly easy to achieve with motorcycle components.

The gearboxes are available separately, so could be fitted to used GY6 engines. I wouldn't want to go down the route of retro fitting a larger engine to a light quadricycle, as that would render my insurance invalid, along with causing other problems, should I be stopped by the Police.

It's a way off anyway, lots of other things to be done before I get anywhere near building it, it's been in my mind for 20+ years, a few more won't harm.

Chris

moto-klasika Avatar
Chris,
Thank you on additional information! Maybe with engine could be get more information about revolutions (max HP and torque), aspect ratio of CVT and so on)...
For me, situation is similar to yours, except that "plans" are older and there shouldn't be too much years in front of me to make such "auto"... But, who knows?
(Serbian pensions are funny for life in Swiss, and premier decided to save budget just on pensioners! If he one day return us all the money – then quadricycle should be built if I was still for that)
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

chrisenamels Avatar
Zoran,

I'll have to do more research before committing to that engine, for the time being there are far too many things to do to take it further.

Chris

moto-klasika Avatar
... when (if) I started my quadricycle, something new and better should appear, cheaper too!
Until then, to finish my pedal-powered quadricycle, test it and modified it...
In meantime to build kid-car for my step-grandson!
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
I am sorry (happy) to say tthat I have descended on you folks in the UK, and abut to start the next build. Some of the bits I need (engine, TAV, etc) are somewhere between NZ and the UK in my shipping container. Before I make too much effort, how many folks would be interested in a meet of some variety in the Midlands?

TheGIantTribble Avatar
Chelmsford, Essex, UK   GBR
Welcome to GB, hope you find it all you hoped it would be. And re the meeting count me in.

rannochman Andy Beskaby
Rannoch, perthshire, UK   GBR
Hi from Scotland to UK based cyclekart fans I have not long found them via u tube and have just this week started building my kart any other builders in Scotland. Will post pics soon .

Attachments:
tmp_6375-20170108_163249-1710200070.jpg    35 KB
tmp_6375-20170108_163249-1710200070.jpg

tmp_6375-20170108_163319679371722.jpg    33.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2017 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links