The Pub - Off Topic

Can the sound?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I think I like the 2 pipe version as well. Seems like the unequal length pipes mix up the note
a little.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
The second phase will be the test runs maybe tonight.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 26663 by DoinItWrong I'm nowhere near as eloquent in my writing style as Dave is, and I'm nowhere near as skilled in the build arena as many of these guys are. But I feel like I was born about 70 years after I should have been, and I feel like had I been born back then, I'd have been building the kinds of cars we're now imitating.

------------...-----------------...-----------
============================================================
Hello, Anthony!
("doing-it- good"winking smiley

I was carefully reading your entire article with pleasure and found that you are eloquent in the same scale as being an imaginative and creative designer and constructor (the same as your twin Justin), accepting it as quite correct, polite and true. That is from my standpoint and isn't of any general relevance, as I am here just by-standing dilettante... As I promised that shall not ever (anymore) comment anything about spirit and nature of Cyclekartism - this writing would be enough said.
--- ---
Just to add that nice introducing sentences are of the most wiser and true thoughts about all kinds of hobbies dedicated to motoring vehicles, not just CycleKarts! That could include veteran cars and motorcycles, original or replicas, ultralight aeroplanes, small classic style boats, camping trailers and motto-campers, steam engines and locomotives, steam-boats - all of that in full scale, scaled-down or as models (RC or for vitrine)...

All the best with a new project!

Regards,
Zoran

P.S.: For me - both variants of Albert's exhaust pipe sound nice! (maybe I am a little deaf?). From some of my very old experience - monotonous/boring sound of small engines comes from the use of CVT (TAV transmission), with small changes of engine's revolutions (I prefer manual 3-5 gearbox, for a drive and for a sound)...

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
classical-gas Scot Laughlin
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
Is there an easy way to add volume to your system? I think that was what made the glasspack system on our minibikes rumble...way more volume than a lawnmower "can" muffler.

As I recall, the copper tube my dad used was about 2.5" diam and 10-12" long, outlet was something like 1.5" The glass packing reduced the ID, obviously, but there was still a good 1.5-2" clear ID.

Dave 46 Robert Davison
Toppenish, WA, USA   USA
Being a hot rodder for over 50 years I full and well understand the sound thing. Remembering back in the 60's you could tell who was driving past the house without looking by the sound of his pipes.

I was at that same Goodguys event that Notso-Chinsee was and you could set your watch by a couple of the thumper rigs making their pass around the grounds right on schedule. I've always called those rigs Pro Fairground rigs as they normally don't get driven any distance on the street except from the enclosed trailer to the gate of the fair grounds and back to the trailer. Thump rump around the grounds with a mega dollar engine shaking the ground and back to the parking spot until the next loop of the fair grounds.

Tieton was the first Cycle kart event i ever attended and the lack of sound really didn't upset me as the karts rolled past. I was more interested in who set up a good line for the corner and how they went though the corner along with clicking away with the camera.
Even seeing the guest drivers gain confidence and run a bit more competitively was fun.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Aren't these things the best?
You scratch one together out of your own imagination, with no real idea of how it's going to go, turn, stop, feel, or sound, exactly. And once you've thrashed it around, hopefully not breaking much,
you get to start making adjustments here and there, gradually sorting it into your own personal
little thrill ride. All this fun for what a lot of car enthusiasts spend on a set of tires.

Neto Ernest B
Berlin, OH, USA   USA
Also like the dual pipe sound, and have been thinking about how different lengths and different diameters might break up the sound. Also, if a person could use copper tubing (brazed, of course), what about adding in one or more of those dead-end pipe sections? (I think they are to reduce banging pipes when the water is shut off quickly, or something like that.) My objective would be not to make it loud, but to even out the sound, even make it quieter, if anything. (Because of my background with flat-head sixes, I would strive for that sort of sound, maybe using at least 4 pipes of at least two different lengths & diameters.) The varied RPMs you get with some sort of 'transmission' would also help. I have to stay really low-bucks with this, so I am still trying to work out how I can use the spinning disk type 'transmission' used in the Snapper mower I'm taking parts from. That setup also has a very simple clutch, so you could let the RPMs drop while switching positions on the disk. (I'm not advocating going fancy up-stream with the technology of a geared transmission - this design actually predates the inspiration vehicles of the CycleKart hobby, and is much simpler technologically than the CVTs commonly used.)

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
1927 CycleKart American
Ernest,
Follow up on the dual exhaust video I think you will find it intresting when I pluged one pipe.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 11:47 PM by Notso-Chinsee.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Hi Al
It says the video is unavailable????
Brian

Neto Ernest B
Berlin, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 26765 by Woodysrods Hi Al
It says the video is unavailable????
Brian

Me too.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Three

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
1927 CycleKart American
Sorry I had it set as privet not public. Please go back and try it again.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Is that actually quieter with both pipes open?

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
1927 CycleKart American
I will be at the Slime Dog race I think you will get a kick out of the hearing the sound change.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
I won't be up there till 1:30 or 2, but I really look forward to it. You'll have a great time,
but by all means bring a change of clothes!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1929 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links