We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

3d printing cyclekarts and there components/etc..

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
3d printing/modeling of cyclekarts and there components/etc Q and A /how to's/etc.discussed here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 12:14 PM by Speeddemon.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
ar5.jpeg    34.3 KB
ar5.jpeg

ar6.jpeg    33.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MrBrian22 Brian Cox
Mosheim, TN, USA   USA
2016 CycleKart American "BC Flyer"
I was actually gonna ask who all used 3d printing in their builds, as I just ordered a Creality CR-10S printer last night. I'm planning on using it to make some emblems that I may try and cast in brass. And I'll probably make a custom keychain and maybe some brackets for the windshield and what not. Maybe a fake windshield wiper blade, and some other finishing touches.

MalibuMan Cas Tuyn
Weert, Limburg, Netherlands   NLD
Since we are all making 'very' short production runs, 3D printing is very well suited for our hobby.

I am thinking of making my own wheel hubs based on bicycle sizing (like a sturdy mountainbike hub), but attached like a car hub with 5 bolts. Being round it can easily be machine-turned.

Next part is a flange holding the brake disk, and a short axis. That is also round, so machine-turned. For the front this part can be hollow and smooth, but in the rear it needs to accommodate the drive axle. The advantage is that now I can take off the wheels without touching (and readjusting) the brakes.

Then comes the tricky part. An upright part with a hole through and 2 wheel bearings, where the brake flange will rotate in. With disk brake mounts, a steering pin (only on the front wheels, pointing in the Ackermann direction), top and bottom ball joints, and mud fender mounts. (Yes this is for independent double A-arm suspension).

That last part I am thinking of doing in 3D printing. But I don't know how to draw it, and even if I did I am not a structural designer so I would not know what wall thickness to choose, or even what size and type of wheel bearings. So now looking for a 3D designer.

I did find out the part must be smaller than 250 × 250 × 200 mm (the Max bounding box on https://www.shapeways.com/materials/aluminum ) and that given how the price is calculated the smaller the part, the better.

One idea is to first 3D print it in Nylon ($0.56/material cm3 + $0.42/bounding box cm3) to see if everything fits, before 3D printing the same part in Aluminium ($7.00 per material cm3 + $0.23 per bounding box cm3 + $0.45 per surface area cm2). A friend even suggested using the cheap nylon part for sand-casting with Aluminium if 3D printing Alu is too expensive.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
If someone could design a way to attach the K&N style air filters to the carb without it sticking straight out the side of the kart that would be awesome. Maybe it could make a 180 and place the filter directly behind the motor or in front.

You can see in the picture the large air filter outside the rear body panels. I would love for it to be hidden inside the panels.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Attachments:
FB_IMG_1511099593716.jpg    47.4 KB
FB_IMG_1511099593716.jpg

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, PA, USA   USA
Please be careful with using 3-d printed parts for any load bearing application. There is a reason suspension and engine parts are cast, forged, or wrought. The hye around 3-d printing skips over the relative weakness of the raw material. In my opinion it is a wonderful technology for making patterns for lost wax investment casting or sand casting and for cosmetic parts that carry no load.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 28730 by SteveV If someone could design a way to attach the K&N style air filters to the carb without it sticking straight out the side of the kart that would be awesome. Maybe it could make a 180 and place the filter directly behind the motor or in front.

You can see in the picture the large air filter outside the rear body panels. I would love for it to be hidden inside the panels.
I am with Steve on this one!
Hope something constructive related to CycleKarts comes out of this thread!smiling bouncing smiley
Brian

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet
Hi Brian that sounds great mate looking forward to see your 3d projects post here updates on your progress .cheers

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet
Hi cas ive also heard 3d printing alum can be expensive at shapeways best to find another less costly 3d printing facilities and keep us updated of your project here and take care.cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 11:57 AM by Speeddemon.

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet
Hi steve post some 360 view pictures of the shape of it and a drawing/sketch on how you need it to be in this thread and hopefully someone here can 3d model it up for you and post a stl file for you that you can bring to a 3d printing shop or if you have a 3d printer you can print it out.cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 12:09 PM by Speeddemon.

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet
Hi Brian I also concur with you and steve.cheers

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
I have car emblems that were 3d printed. But decorative only...yes nothing load bearing.

Rosengart LR2 Special

YourSolutions Steve Nicholson
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand   NZL
Can also 3D print in stainless steel and titanium, the parts can be heat treated. A friend of mine runs a 3D manufacturing company http://www.rapidman.co.nz/, they also print in Inconel if you are thinking of putting rocket boosters on your kart. They do print structural parts for things, due to confidentiality agreements can't say what for. Would love to print some things for my cyclekart but will probably end up making them the old fashioned way with hammer and chisel! Contact RAM3D directly if you want anything done and to get an idea of pricing.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 28733 by Woodysrods
In reply to # 28730 by SteveV If someone could design a way to attach the K&N style air filters to the carb without it sticking straight out the side of the kart that would be awesome. Maybe it could make a 180 and place the filter directly behind the motor or in front.

I am with Steve on this one!
Hope something constructive related to CycleKarts comes out of this thread!smiling bouncing smiley
Brian

While it's nice to have the intake inside the covers for visual reasons, remember that the cooler the intake air the better the performance. Nuff said on that? Woody, I agree with your final sentence on this topic and a whole lot of other posts, but I suspect it has been missed entirely.

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME RIP Special"

Steve,

Measure the Diameter of your Carb Adapter (about 2" I believe), then head to the plumbing section of your local Lowes/Home Depot...

You can find everything you need....

Like a Dis...

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

Attachments:
IMG_20170825_211357_708.jpg    42.8 KB
IMG_20170825_211357_708.jpg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Some threads could use a hi-jacking.
I'm not sold on the use of 3d printing for hi stress parts, at least not in the economy range we work with.
I actually had the stuff collected to re-route my air cleaner similar to what Bow shows. In the end though, I decided against it for the reason Rhys points out. I wanted it to be a runner, and all that fresh cool air outside is just free horsepower.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1935 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links