You never know.

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
So.
I was visiting with my half sister and her husband, whom I only just met this past August down in Arizona.
They were up in Washington to meet the rest of the family. Long story.

Anyway....She had heard of CycleKarts and when she learned what was out in my garage, almost immediately demanded a drive. Well, I won't stand in the way of that kind of enthusiasm and a few minutes later, I was standing alongside briefing her on the controls. "Like a go kart right? I got it" she says, and storms off down the street! Now, I had given her very specific instructions as to what route to take to circle the neighborhood, so when after the usual time had passed and I still didn't hear the Ferrari, I thought she must have had trouble.
Finally, with concern beginning to show on the face of her husband, I set out to search for her.

I circled the entire route. Nothing. Then the rest of the neighborhood. No sign. My imagination running wild, I went back home and to my great relief, and confusion, there she was pulling into the driveway.
Where had she been? At the second street intersection, you can turn right which leads you peacefully around the neighborhood. Or, you can turn left. This leads you to a DIVIDED 4 LANE STATE HIGHWAY!
Care to guess which way she turned? So, naturally upon seeing such a thing in front of her she did a U turn out of there, right? Nope. She figured she'd "go a little ways down and turn back into the neighborhood" but there is nowhere to turn back in. It's TWO MILES before you can turn around and then, make the same trip back the other direction! This happened in the middle of afternoon rushour traffic! People do 50mph on that highway, and more!

Once I regained speech, I asked her.
How fast you figure you were going? "Fayist as ah coood! Ah din't waw'nt thayt trayffic catch'n me!"
Having just installed an +8deg billet flywheel, and adjusted the valves, that was probably the fastest my kart has gone, and I didn't even get to see it.
Mary Beth, my new favorite sister, will be 71 this year.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Great Story Dave!thumbs up
And guys are always saying "where could I drive it if I built one?".........well now we know!
There are miles and miles of "Interstates" across the USA!smiling bouncing smiley
Good Roads
Brian

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Love it Dave!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Martin HL Avatar
Martin HL Martin Hill Lonergan
Armstrong, BC, Canada   CAN
That made me laugh and I think I read the accent right aswell. Little old ladies can probably get away with that stuff right? Just wondering what the other car drivers were thinking when they saw her.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Almost relevant...
When I was about 15 (over 52 years ago) mother came home from the school she was teaching at about 20 odd miles away.
When she came into the house she proudly said that the car was now "run in" so she had a bit of a test on the way home, "the speedo reads 100 miles an hour" she said proudly. The speed limit was 55 mph!

Team classic Brian S
Lyttelton Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
Love those great story's..Keep it up fella's. B.

Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
So, you know what to get Mary Beth for her birthday, eh?

Probably better put a stage two motor in it... smiling smiley

Peace,
Robert

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Thankfully:

1/ Mam wouldn't be able to get in and out of my kart, though even at 95 she'd love to have a go;

2/ The nearest Motorway, equivalent of an Interstate, is 18 miles away.

Her sense of direction is terrible, she went in one side of a building in a local town, came out the other side and was lost. Fortunately Dad had said to me "I wonder if there's a door on the other side", so I was there watching for her. Let her loose in a cyclekart and there's no knowing where she'd end up!

So what are you going to build for Mary Beth ??

Chris

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
At dinner that evening, she pretty much commissioned a Maserati 250f.
I was impressed she knew what one was. As you know, I have a weakness for that car, So...

Carlos Carneiro Avatar
PHOENIX, AZ, USA   USA
2015 CycleKart American "2015 VKC Italiano"
That's one of the best cyclekart stories I've heard. thumbs upthumbs up

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
Ha! What a grand storey. She sounds like quit a gal! smiling smiley smiling smiley

1929 Riley Bitsa

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, WA, USA   USA
Thought I'd add a quick story.

So, I'm pulling the engine out of my 67 Camaro and to make room in the garage I've got the cyclekart chassis in the driveway. I've literally got an engine hanging in the air when some neighbors walk by. So you think they're interested in the Camaro? Not one bit. They started asking about the chassis and what it was!

Thought it was funny enough to share!

"Magic Man"
"Cole Trickle"
"NightHawk"
Team Doin It Wrong

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"
"The 1965 911 of cyclekarts"

Attachments:
IMG_20180518_210057.jpg    54.4 KB
IMG_20180518_210057.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links