CKC

Custom Karts Forum

East Coast Chapter - Exciting opportunity!!!

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
Visit the Arizona Cyclekart Club site go under the Discussion select File and open the “Arizona CycleKart Club Handbook V1 pdf” file. Read it all the way to the end and you will find a complete parts list including where to purchase, cost and drawings for Steve Vinson’s number 7 model t ford.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Garth0k Scott Quigley
Franklin, MA, USA   USA
I’m definitely interested in something with either myself or my kids. I’m about an hour outside Boston. Are there people in the state that are active? I used to run junior dragsters as a kid and a full sized car later, so I go back and forth on what to start building with my kids to teach them the various skills.

tbrennan29 Thomas Brennan
Seaford, DE, USA   USA
There are a few companies that advertise on eBay that sell Newbury more costly. Try the local directory for motor cycle junk yards or cycle shops that might have used items

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NickZ Avatar
NickZ Nicholas Zarkades
Beverly, MA, USA   USA
I am located in Beverly, MA and plan on starting a build this spring or sooner.

Contact info: zdesign@comcast.net

Garth0k Scott Quigley
Franklin, MA, USA   USA
Nice! What are you thinking about for a build?

wally6800 Walter Luikey
Glen, NH, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
Thanks Vince,

4 new wheels are in the pipeline.

I picked up a Hemi 212 last week for $99.84 at my local Harbor freight store a few days ago.

I don't have a rolling chassis yet, but I am a lot closer than I was on New Years eve. (yawning smiley)

wally6800 Walter Luikey
Glen, NH, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
Hi NIck,
I hang out in the winter right next to Mt. Washington, but I spend my summers in "Glosta"

I was thinking the other day about trying to get something on wheels and doing the Mt Washington Hill Climb. 7 miles and 6,200+ vertical foot climb. I know I could do it if I could be the last car to run the course.

rodder-rick Silver Member RICHARD WOOD
MONCTON, NB, Canada   CAN
1929 Ford Model A "MYTFINE"
1930 CycleKart Race Car "SHRINER1"
1934 Ford Model B "BOOGIE"
1954 Chevrolet Corvette "EXCESIVE"    & more
Let me know when you attempt Mt Washington.....love to give it a go!!!! Perfect run for a Cycle Kart.... Did it on a 125cc Honda Grom scooter. Don't forget to re tune your 1 cylinder engine for the severe altitude change so you have enough grunt ....and make sure you change it back once you return as your engine will run real hot at sea level!!!!
-----rodder-rick, Moncton, New Brunswick

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
That would certainly be a fun challenge for a Cyclekart.
I suspect the TAV30 might be the weak link? It would
be interesting to see if an asymmetrical torque converter
would hold up to the task.
Your 6.5 hp is going to be dang near 5 by the time you
reach the summit. I once flew my 160 hp 760 lb. Pitts biplane
to 16,000 ft and that's all the further it would climb. Thin air
for the prop to bite into and the rpm had dropped off nearly
40% at that altitude. A good thing because I wouldn't want
to stay at that altitude very long.
Please let us know if you make that climb Walt. If you do
make a run for it....don't do it without a GoPro. Wish those
would have been around when I was flying aerobatics.
It would have given me something to talk about in my
old age.
dg

wally6800 Walter Luikey
Glen, NH, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
Hi Denny,
I know the feeling of high altitude and limited oxygen. I am a student glider pilot and while I haven't made it to 16,000 feet I have gotten to just over 13,000. It was probably a good thing I was flying with a very experienced cross country instructor who said , " This is as high as we are going". I was getting a little goofey and not flying as well as I had been so down we went.

Getting up the mountain isn't as big a concern as getting down with the cycle kart. I am thinking that I will need to put two calipers on the axle and two brake pedals in the cockpit. I can then alternate between the two and with frequent stops for brake cooling, I can make it down OK. There are lots of stories that are being told of how frightened people have gotten when the brakes start smoking on the way down and what they had to do to make it to the bottom. I have no need to be one of them.

I have just started planning my build so I will have a lot of time to think about that trip.

Thanks for the heads up and your little tale of adventure.

Wally

wally6800 Walter Luikey
Glen, NH, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
Hi Rick,
I am not sure that they will even let me run the mountain , but I will find out . Its only a 15 minute drive from my house to the base camp of the Mt. Washington Road Co.
Thanks for the heads up on the engine tip.

It seemed like a simple thing when I first thought about but the list of concerns is growing. (yawning smiley) I know I can do it. I just have to figure a way to get their approval.

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
You most likely have seen this if not check it out the last 2 minutes are insane. Watch for the victory sign he gives the spectators @ 5 minutes. www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-4j6mPkAYM
Looks like something I need on my bucket list at least to see.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
How about going on this ride up Pikes Peak with Ken Block.
Bring extra underwear!
Woody

wally6800 Walter Luikey
Glen, NH, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
Yo Woody,

That was a great video.
He was really on the ragged edge a few times to say the least.

I was a test driver for the Cadillac Division of GM back in 1963 and I spent 2 weeks driving up and down Pikes Peak. Made 37 trips up and down that hill. 11 trips were made at night. Back then I was fearless and never gave safety a second thought. I am not sure I would be able ride shotgun with that guy without having to do a change of underwear if I did it today.

One thing I did notice is that they have installed a lot of guard railing that wasn't there back in the 60's which would have made the night trips a lot easier to make today than back when I was driving.

That video also reminded me of the end of that road trip which took us to Mesa Arizona to the GM proving grounds. We set a new endurance record for Cadillac by averaging 134.7 MPH for 24 hours.
That was done in a 5mile diameter circular track so it wasn't very exciting.

Maybe some day there will be a CycleKart class in the Pike's Peak Hill Climb. I know I will be there if there ever is one.

Thanks again for that great video.

Wally

wally6800 Walter Luikey
Glen, NH, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
Yo Brother,
I remember seeing him there this year. He is quite a guy,

Don't your think that a Cycle Kart event would be just the nuts to participate in, & when you finish, you would get a "This Car Climbed Mt.Washington" sticker to put on your Kart.

I guess it can be something we can all dream about. Sometimes Dreams come true !!!!!!!!

Thanks for the video.

Wally

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links