CKC

Custom Karts Forum

Morgan F4 Three Wheeler

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Onto the second preliminary stage of my cyclekart build, the first was buying a trailer, which allowed me to collect the 125cc scooter I bought Tuesday, which is the second stage. I've put this in the Custom Kart section as although it'll comply with specification on power output and dimensions, but it's a bit unconventional otherwise. The Sinnis Harrier I've bought turned up on ebay with light front end damage, I think I got a bargain at £112. considering it'll give me the complete back end of my kart, drivetrain, wheel, brake and suspension. Added to that there are various undamaged parts that I don't need, so selling them might even cover my outlay. I'll drop the level of the rear end by moving the fuel tank forward to above the engine, so the final height should be about level with the front edge of the seat in the photo.

The aim is to produce something as close as I can get to the car in the last two photos, minus the mudguards (fenders) of course. I've got some steel suitable for the build, left over from when I used to make trailers, but the next (and last) outing for the trailer (AKA rusty heap) in it's current form will be to collect the rest of the steel for the kart build, and for the rebuild of the trailer.

It'll take a while to do as I've got to organize a workspace, and I've got a big show coming up at Llangollen International Eisteddfod, which I need to get stock done for. I've got a gap then before another show in August, weeks holiday tacked on after the show, then another gap before a show late in October. Hopefully I'll at least get to a running chassis before Rhys's proposed gathering at Brooklands at the end of October.

I'll update this thread as and when there's progress, I'm hoping, being a cheapskate to come in under the £500 mark, if you want that in dollars you'll have to convert it yourselves, as the Pound's up and down like a yo-yo at the moment.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 10:58 AM by chrisenamels.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170613_170843.jpg    42.4 KB
20170613_170843.jpg

1935MorganF2SideView.JPG    71.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1935MorganF2.JPG    67.4 KB
sherwayne Sherwin R
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to seeing more updates.

chrisenamels Avatar
It'll be the middle of July before I can do any more, as I'm away at a big show for a week from Saturday. Even then it'll only be preparing a working area that I can put a gazebo on, as I haven't got space to work inside. Then I'll collect the steel for the kart and trailer rebuild, and I can make some progress before my next big show at the end of August. I did have one bonus earlier in the week, when I notified the scooter as off road it was showing as taxed, so I assumed the refund would go to the previous owner, but no, I got a cheque for £9.91 which is a result.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chrisenamels Avatar
Well some progress, sort of, I realised yesterday that as I'd had to set up a Windows computer to install POI's on my "new" Garmin GPS, I could use Bigprint. So I downloaded the evaluation copy, established how easy it was to use, and splashed out a whole £17.41 on it, I've printed the plan view, just need to lay it out on a board, narrow it, and possibly tweak the cockpit. Total expenditure now stands at £169.50, including the wheels, without having yet sold any scooter parts.

chrisenamels Avatar
A bit of progress, though only collecting parts. Tyres are mounted, I chose a trials type tread as it seems both in keeping with some period tread patterns, and will probably suit the surfaces I expect to run on. Headlights have arrived, along with LED bulbs to replace the rather dim original bulbs (5W replacing 10W). I'm fitting them as the original cars were road cars that were raced, rather than out and out racers, though I won't be fitting mudguards (fenders in American).

There's been a change of plan with the work area too, I'm going to have a major sort out in the 12' x 8' shed to clear a workspace. Hopefully in the next week, as we've got a dry spell coming up, and it's yet another of those jobs that need dry weather.

Attachments:
20171129_093352(2).jpg    36.4 KB
20171129_093352(2).jpg

20171129_093406.jpg    21.2 KB
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Moving forward is always good thing.
And having a designated place to work is the most important.
I realize you guys in the UK do things in much smaller spaces than we here in Canada do, so I am eagerly waiting to see how you set up your workspace in your 8" 12" shed (garage).
I had the luxury of having 15,000 sq. ft. of buildings on my property (not bragging) so setting up a 1600 sq. ft. CycleKart Shop in one of them was not such a big deal, but gives me plenty of room to build Karts!
Thanks for sharing your build with us!
Good Roads
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
It can be done! I did the majority of my build in a 10'x10' space.
Not optimum, but I wanted that cyclekart!

chrisenamels Avatar
It'll have to be done, I'll probably end up with 10' x 6', as however drastic the clear out is some things will have to stay there. I've got the space to put up another shed, but as it would be outside the original boundary of the property it would need planning permission. So I'll have cope with whatever space I can free up.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Given that the Voisin was mainly done outside, as the Lotus 11 was in the 10 by 6 garage, there will always be a way.

chrisenamels Avatar
Oh yes Rhys, it'll get done, the fact that the bit of the chassis I have to fabricate is under 5' will help. The rear 3' or so will be the back end of the scooter, so that won't have to be attached until the front end us finished including the suspension.

Chris

JoeCraig Allen Hanford
PHILADELPHIA, PA, USA   USA
Very interesting project. Us this something you'd be able to race?

chrisenamels Avatar
I hope so Allen, I'm keeping it within the guidelines other than the power unit. Dimensionally it'll fall within the 96" x 40" spec, it's pre 2nd world war, though it's a road car Morgans were raced. I've been careful with my choice of scooter, so the power output is 7.5 HP, so that also fits the spec, they are available with outputs up to 15 HP. To me it's just doing the same thing in a different way, like the front engine rear drive karts that use the 2:1 gearbox engines with centrifugal clutches, so I would hope others would see it in the same way.

Chris

geezerduck Avatar
geezerduck Tom Petry
Montclair, CA, USA   USA
Like your concept on this build. Always liked the Moggy three wheelers.

Life is good on the lunatic fringe, Tom

chrisenamels Avatar
Tom,

The basic concept is cheap!! That and I have a habit of doing things differently. I couldn't buy an engine for what I paid for the complete scooter, let alone the CVT drive, I get electric start, a CVT in unit with the engine, and suspension to boot. If I'm really lucky selling off the surplus parts will cover the cost of the scooter, I'll at least get something back.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 09:12 AM by chrisenamels.

geezerduck Avatar
geezerduck Tom Petry
Montclair, CA, USA   USA
Like your concept Chris. What I hope to build at sometime in the future is a street legal trike based alongthe lines of the attached picture, powered with a 500cc single. A bit more than a cyclekart, but should be fun.

Life is good on the lunatic fringe, Tom

Attachments:
1914 Morgan 0001.jpg    59.8 KB
1914 Morgan 0001.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1970 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links