Custom Karts Forum

Morgan F4 Three Wheeler

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet (Suspended)
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
1970 CycleKart Custom "Rose"
Hi Chris I will when my situation changes for the better. ! But i do wish you well on your morgan f4 build . my posts are not cluttering up the forum.! .nor are my posts meaningless.! . this forum wasnt just made for or being payed for and being maintained for . ...just to get praise's for anyones ck builds only.!! Hav a gd day. .cheers

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-08 09:32 PM by Speeddemon.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Right, my Morgan "kit" arrived this morning, pretty well all ready for welding, I know it looks short, remember there's 3' of scooter back end too.

Rearranged the workshop cupboards too, much better use of space, I'll be able to put a 3' shelf between them at the top and between them about 2' off the floor. Plus I've gained floor space giving me enough room to work on the chassis fabrication, just need to have a session tidying before I start.

Got to get those sails made before I do anything else, it hasn't been going well, so I did the rearrangement as a break from sailmaking. They have to be done soon, need to post the Cariad by the end of next week, so the Morgan's on hold again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 10:44 AM by chrisenamels.

Attachments:
20180209_145033.jpg    88.2 KB
20180209_145033.jpg

20180209_153113.jpg    24 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
chrisenamels Avatar
Been pondering the question "to taper or not to taper?", so I laid out the steel this morning to see what difference it made visually. The answer is virtually none, I also established that 20" overall width is plenty for me to fit between the rails. So since a parallel chassis makes it easier to mount the front suspension, that's the way I'm going. I know it's taking me a time to get started, but it's in my character to try and get as much as possible straight in my mind before I start.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180226_093438.jpg    64.8 KB
20180226_093438.jpg

20180226_093509(3).jpg    70.5 KB
Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Peace,
Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 10:57 AM by Carty McCartFace.

Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Peace,
Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 10:56 AM by Carty McCartFace.

chrisenamels Avatar
So much for decisions, a little more research, and I've realised the suspension mounting problem is non-existent, just mount it to the front cross member like the original. I mocked it up with both 14" and 16" front, but I think 14" would make it a bit tight for two pedals and a footrest.

So tapered chassis it is, more pronounced now since I've established 20" outside width at the rear is generous for me, going down to 16" at the front. That should give me ample lock, and foot room around the pedals, which can be mounted on a bracket off the steering column bottom mount. It'll also make mounting the body easier, so that's the decision made, really, honestly, maybe, possibly. smiling smiley

Chris

Attachments:
20180226_145729(2).jpg    58.7 KB
20180226_145729(2).jpg

20180226_145815.jpg    61.7 KB
chrisenamels Avatar
Just to prove I have been planning my kart, here's a drawing of the intended front suspension. As with all things it'd easier to follow on from what someone else has done and tweak it from their experience.

Thanks are due particularly to Bow, for his detailed build thread, from which I learned a lot. I'll be setting the uprights outside the frame rails since I'll be mounting the front suspension on the front cross member.

The tubes on the ends of the front suspension cross members will be single pieces at each end, welded with the cross tubes tacked together, then cut, thus avoiding alignment issues. The 16mm bolts pass through the end tubes and the 20mm slider tubes, the springs and sliders fitting over those tubes.

The stub axles will be 20mm bolts passing through tubes welded to the rear of the sliders, so making them replaceable. I'll also build in provision for caster adjustment, using two rose joints and a short "track rod" to the steering wheel bottom support.

I've sorted out lots more detail in my mind, just haven't drawn it yet.

Chris

Attachments:
Morgan front suspension.jpg    20.5 KB
Morgan front suspension.jpg

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello, Chris!
More for fun than for useful information (you should do it better), take a look at short this film about building and driving wannabe Morgan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=184&v=JhKGcogK-nY

Everything is possible, even with modest recourses?

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet (Suspended)
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
1970 CycleKart Custom "Rose"
Hi all ..Check out www.littlecar.net . Its a Homemade car/ck.. titled/reg as a homemade motorbike..... .cheers

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 05:54 PM by Speeddemon.

chrisenamels Avatar
Interesting Zoran, I had a quad with a 110cc Honda clone with forward and reverse gearbox, it was capable of going quicker than I was happy to go, even after I geared it down for towing in the garden. They'd be better for our purposes with a vertical cylinder. I am aiming to do a better job than that, as a model maker my difficulty is that I tend to be too fussy about things.

Chris

chrisenamels Avatar
Well my springs arrived yesterday, they're 300 mm long, 4mm wire, 30mm and 40mm diameter, that gives me various options. I'll be cutting them to suit, I know it'll stiffen them, but they'll end up with a similar number of coils to the ones that were the correct length, but they were MUCH cheaper. I've bought two of each, that'll give me scope for changes, as one will make a full set for the front suspension. If I find I need longer top springs for more preload then I can cut another pair. I could also use shorter 30mm springs inside the 40mm ones to give me a dual rate setup. I'll start with the 40mm ones, as if they prove to be too soft, I can change to the 30mm ones.

I bought them from Aliexpress on the 15th, so 9 days from China is pretty good going: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-supply-long-steel-metal-compression-springs-for-machines-4mm-wire-diameter-x-20-42-mm/32831782731.html.

Chris

Attachments:
20180425_112645.jpg    38.8 KB
20180425_112645.jpg

20180425_112717.jpg    41.5 KB
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
You will be ready for the meet up! Currently revising dates based on moving off school holidays!

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello, Chris!
Good development of your project!

Keep going that way and inform us!
It is nice to learn something new every day at my age, even if I never use it...

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

chrisenamels Avatar
Rhys,

I hope so, I think I've got everything straight in my mind, and most things I can't source locally bought. I take it you're looking at September now, the first four weekends are clear for me, only got a show on the last, and nothing else planned.

Zoran,

I'll keep adding things as they come up, once the balance of things I have to do is cleared I'll start building. I'll never stop learning, that's what keeps the brain active, however much you know about a subject there's always more to learn.

Chris

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links