CycleCar Build Started - 1926 Razor

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Palm Harbor, FL, USA   USA
1900 Other Custom "1887 Serpollet"
1926 Other Not Listed "1926 Razor"
Just started this project a week ago and hopefully will have a full size Cyclecar completed in 2018. I'm shooting for a replica of the car in the pictures (below), which was destroyed (driver killed) in a race in 1926. The best that I can determine by historical records was the car is 12' in length and approx. 36" tall with a 42" track. I'm installing a full-size Harley IronHead (1,000 to 1,200cc) engine with factory transmission.

My construction abilities are limited to woodworking. Having built and restored wooden boats, I have a reasonable knowledge of how to use a saw. The body is detachable from the frame during the build process so when I get that completed, I'll defer to my friends and acquaintances to do the mechanical work including truing up the frame with structural steel and installing the engine and drive train.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-26 05:21 AM by Lagoon777.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
rasoir 2.jpg    14.1 KB
rasoir 2.jpg

Rasoir.jpg    8.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Rasoir1.jpg    10.3 KB
rasoir3.jpg    8.8 KB
Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Ash frame completed and floor decking installed. Will be working on the body this week.

Attachments:
RasoirFrame.jpg    36.8 KB
RasoirFrame.jpg

Rasior3.jpg    34.2 KB
jr007 john r
Bridport, dorset, UK   GBR
Great looking inspiration car - this will be quite a beast!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Thanks - Will definitely test my engineering ability....

tbrennan29 Thomas Brennan
Seaford, DE, USA   USA
Are you going to try and race this car or just use it on your own track? If you plan to join our races and all best read the rules and specs. To long ,to wide,to high , motor to much up. Scale it down to is and have more fun

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello, Mark!
As you started your thread about design and construction of Panhard Razor Blade - in special sub-forum named Custom-Karts, then - everything is possible and allowed?
Such model with highly narrow and long body couldn't be easily scaled-down to the size of standard Cyclekart and keeps elegance?
Anyway, you are building it for yourself!

I will follow your project with great interest, at the first place because of the unusual and rare model and the second because of the unusual technique, in which I am interested too (for some other project than CycleKart).

At attached web-link, you could find information and sketches of somebody's else attempt to make smaller Razor Blade, with a lot of interesting details:

http://www.jjgaudel.com/HTMLSITE/bugatti/bugatti.html

Maybe, could be useful.

Regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
PANHARD-RAZOR-BLADE-2.jpg    52.5 KB
PANHARD-RAZOR-BLADE-2.jpg

panhard- la LAME de RASOIR.jpg    49.5 KB
Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Hi - My intention is just use it for shows and run around our neighborhood. Maybe take it our on a track some day. I know you have engine and size restrictions to be in your races but I didn't think a 1,000cc + engine would be allowed.

Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Zonan: Thanks for your response. This is way harder (I'm finding out) then building a Bugatti body style . I'm just cutting the uprights (fire wall, back brace, dash section) now and it's really a challenge. My saving grace is ultimately I'll use mahogany strip (like with a Chris Craft boat) to follow the body curvature... Small strips of wood can be forgiving and you can adjust the width a little as you are moving down the length of the body...

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Mark
Have you seen the one from Tieton (Local Organizer from Gittreville Club).
Check out Dennis' videos for pictures.
Brian

Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Brian: Having a hard time finding that posting. I did see a wooden car with a metal cowling. Is that the one?

Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Please see pictures - My progress as of today. I'll work on the tail section tomorrow and work my way forward... I would appreciate any "negative" feedback if I'm heading in the wrong direction... Good thing about working with wood is if I screw it up, I can rip it out easily and do it again - correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-26 03:23 PM by Lagoon777.

Attachments:
Progress Photo1 12.26.17.jpg    38.9 KB
Progress Photo1 12.26.17.jpg

Progress Photo2 12.26.17.jpg    33.2 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Mark,
I have no doubt that with your boat-building experience you shall build practical and nice wood structure for chassis (reinforced with steel where it is necessary) and body (wood strips are often used on man vintage automobiles: luxurious, sporty and even cyclecars)... Here is the photo of Panhard, built by the member of Gittreville Club, but now bought by another of our members:

http://www.gittrevillegp.com/www.gittrevillegp.com/The_Cars_A/Pages/Panhard_Levassor.html
http://www.cyclekartclub.com/registry/PL1001

It is not a replica of Razor Blade but of another racing Panhard, quite bigger in the original version, but the construction of the body is similar. On the photos, there are a lot of useful details. As you would see, it is longer than most of CycleKarts, but not heavier.

Generally, it is easier to get decent Cyclekart scaled-down from shorter two-seat automobile, than from long and narrow but if you tried... As driver's seat is between chassis rails for seating lower, you should make a shape around your body, without thinking on standards. I am not sure how was solved issues of propeller-shaft on original (couldn't find any clear photo or sketch of chassis), but you should have to solve that by yourself: it would be too low if goes under your seat? Maybe chain or belt on one side, inside a body as was done on a pair of CycleKarts with front-mounted engines? However, as there were two variants of Razor Blade, one with 1.5-litre engine 8shown in this thread) and another with 5.5-litre: - a bigger engine could have a bigger8wider) body?

Pay attention to an unbelievable solution of steering: gigantic steering wheel, with driver seating trough it in a recumbent position (leaning at his back)! Good to find a more standard solution?

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
PANHARD-RAZOR-BLADE-driver.jpg    12.5 KB
PANHARD-RAZOR-BLADE-driver.jpg

PANHARD-RAZOR-BLADE-driver,..jpg    98 KB
PANHARD-RAZOR-BLADE-driver,...jpg    57.3 KB
Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Things are moving along and as of today, here is the status. I'll work on shaping the rear end over the next few days...

Attachments:
12.5.175.jpg    27.3 KB
12.5.175.jpg

12.28.171.jpg    41.6 KB
12.28.172.jpg    38.4 KB
12.28.174.jpg    25.3 KB
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
One quick question Mark, how long are your legs, or how high is your seat going to be?

S'all for now!

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Fair questions, both.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links