CKC

Custom Karts Forum

No snow to ski so bring along your Bugatti.

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Miloschmitty Avatar
Miloschmitty Todd Manoff
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
My family planned a ski trip to the high sierras in the California gold country over the 1st week of the new year. Problem was there was no snow. We couldn't get our deposit back on the cabin so I hitched up the trailer and loaded up the little Type 13 Bug. Our cabin was off the main highway with a few miles of narrow back roads and fire roads through the valley along the river and among the cabins around the area. Since there was no winter snow, the area was virtually deserted. Beautiful forest of sierra pines with just the right bit of nip in the air for a splendid drive in the little Bug.
I have to admit I was hoping for a light dusting of snow to add to the fun of driving. We all had a go around during the past week. I think I discovered my new favourite past time to bring along on vacation.
Todd
Santa Cruz, Ca.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0993.JPG    87.5 KB
IMG_0993.JPG

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
No luck on your Tire & Wheel?
Woody

Miloschmitty Avatar
Miloschmitty Todd Manoff
Unfortunately no luck so far. My daughter and her boyfriend were puttin around in them when the spare mount broke. She didn't realise she lost it.
By the time I went out side to put the karts away it was a couple or so hours later. We re-traced there route but no luck. I really bummed about it. I'm just hoping it will turn up.
Todd

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Spent many days off up in that area Todd, when I was stationed in Sacramento, CA
back in '65-'66. Some beautiful country indeed. My room mate and I used to take
a plane from the base aero club up there on weekends looking for remote air strips.
Found some great little towns you would never have seen driving down the freeways.
Nice job on those cars by the way, they really capture the spirit of the 20's.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Miloschmitty Avatar
Miloschmitty Todd Manoff
Thanks Denny. It is a cool area of the country. It's amazing how much old logging equipment is still stashed around the hills. Must be really neat to fly over.
Todd

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
That was over 50 years ago, man.....where did the time go....
But, at many of the places we visited a short walk from the
landing site we found lots of old abandoned cars and trucks
back in the woods.
I'm sure, like everywhere else, it's all built up by now.
There aren't many untouched places left in the States anymore.
Where I was born was in the country with miles and miles of
open farm fields all around. Now it's eight lane highways,
nothing but subdivision after subdivision, shopping malls,
high rise apartments and condos. I've long felt that mankind is a
cancer on the face of the earth, just keeps on growing, the only
cure will be when the host dies off. Which just might happen
if some idiot pushes his button. A meteor wiped out the dinosaurs,
probably gonna be a mushroom cloud that wipe us out. Wonder
what a cockroach will look like a million years from now since
they seem to be able to survive every mass extinction.
Oops.....there I go spilling my inner most thoughts. Back
to the snow belt. Been a pretty snow free winter here also.
That's not good for the farmers. We need the snow cover
for lots of crops and for the ground moisture in the spring.
DG

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Todd,

That is a beautiful CycleKart. Do you have more pictures?

Is your grill brass? Fantastic!

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Yes Steve, I was gonna ask about that also. How'd ya form it Todd???
DG

Miloschmitty Avatar
Miloschmitty Todd Manoff
Some times I wonder myself. I look at these little machines I made and I ask myself how did I do that and how did I ever find the time !!!
Radiator I made from sheet brass, hand rolled a bead, then hand formed it around a wood pattern and soldered it together. Radiator spout I machined from solid brass round and soldered in the top.
Todd

Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Oooh. Lovely car.

I’m curious as to where in “gold country” you were? I’m right in the base of the Sierras, but probably South of traditional “gold” country, though I live near Finegold Bay. smiling smiley

I am embroiled in a custom pedal car project, which research lead me to cyclecarts, and now I must build one.
I am making a list of the parts I need. smiling smiley

Anyway, I’d love to see your car in real life. Mayhaps on a trip one of us make inland or coastwise we can arrange it?

Peace,
Robert

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 28821 by Carty McCartFace Oooh. Lovely car.

I’m curious as to where in “gold country” you were? I’m right in the base of the Sierras, but probably South of traditional “gold” country, though I live near Finegold Bay. smiling smiley

I am embroiled in a custom pedal car project, which research lead me to cyclecarts, and now I must build one.
I am making a list of the parts I need. smiling smiley

Anyway, I’d love to see your car in real life. Mayhaps on a trip one of us make inland or coastwise we can arrange it?

Peace,
Robert
Robert
You will really be hooked once you see one in person and get to drive one!!!!!!!
Woody

Miloschmitty Avatar
Miloschmitty Todd Manoff
Hi Robert
Welcome to the club. Cyclekarts are great fun to own, drive and build. A great project to practice those fab skills. My best advice is to stick to the original concept.
A cyclekart is a fancy, cool looking go-cart.
Try not to get carried away with using a motorcycle engine which will lead to heavy frame, steering, brakes, wheels till your not building a cyclekart at all anymore.
The original Stevesen method of the plywood uni-body construction is hard to beat. Simple, strong and straightforward to build, that most can do in their home garage.
Early racing cars through the 1920's are great designs to use for inspiration. I built my car with all metal construction, but I had access to metal working tooling and I am seriously lacking in the way of wood working skills.
Looks like your in the Fresno area. I live in Santa Cruz. We vacationed North of Yosemite area, though a friend has a tiny cabin at Hume lake which we stay ever couple-three years or so.
Was just looking at some info when I built mine. Built it in 2002. Holy cats! Can't believe it was that long ago already.
Best regards
Todd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-20 03:30 PM by Miloschmitty.

red streak Avatar
red streak Peter Nielsen
Creston, BC, Canada   CAN
That is gorgeous , I like the Rad. detail and the purposeful body bulges . Nice work

Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 28842 by Miloschmitty Hi Robert
Welcome to the club. Cyclekarts are great fun to own, drive and build. A great project to practice those fab skills. My best advice is to stick to the original concept.
A cyclekart is a fancy, cool looking go-cart.
Try not to get carried away with using a motorcycle engine which will lead to heavy frame, steering, brakes, wheels till your not building a cyclekart at all anymore.
The original Stevesen method of the plywood uni-body construction is hard to beat. Simple, strong and straightforward to build, that most can do in their home garage.
Early racing cars through the 1920's are great designs to use for inspiration. I built my car with all metal construction, but I had access to metal working tooling and I am seriously lacking in the way of wood working skills.
Looks like your in the Fresno area. I live in Santa Cruz. We vacationed North of Yosemite area, though a friend has a tiny cabin at Hume lake which we stay ever couple-three years or so.
Was just looking at some info when I built mine. Built it in 2002. Holy cats! Can't believe it was that long ago already.
Best regards
Todd

Todd,
I have most certainly been on the roads you travelled. You were very near my home. I live in the unincorporated County, so I just listed the nearest big city. smiling smiley
My plan for the first, ahem, cyclecart is to copy a Peugeot Quadrilette, the 161 type, with a boat tail. The second will be a copy of the MarioKart version of the Mercedes w25. I already have a rear body form I abandoned during the early stages of the pedal car project.
I plan to go simple, to be sure. I have no desire to overcomplicate these karts. That’s the point, right?

The pedal car I’m building, by the by has a Constant Torque Treadle transmission, with two,levers instead of pedals, and external chain final drive.

Peace,
Robert

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Just for anyone who doesn't appreciate the crafsmanship that went into this
Kart of Todd's, here's he real thing:
dg

Attachments:
Bugatti T22 1922.jpg    95.1 KB
Bugatti T22 1922.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Vintage

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links