CKC

Custom Karts Forum

Otis Automotis

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Maigret Luc L
Senlisse, Yvelines, France   FRA
Thanks for the info, Chuck !
I wish I had as "little experience" with things as you have ... that would greatly improve my build !
Beautiful stuff !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 06:10 AM by Maigret.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
smallboregarage Avatar
smallboregarage Chuck Kraeuter
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I started to machine a new engine case cover. It will include the bearing for the driven shaft of the TAV, new mounting points for the ignition coil as well as mounts for holding the engine in the chassis. The photo shows the inside face; that's the crank bearing set in its bore. I'll flip it over next week and remove most of the metal from the other side.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    42.2 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    38.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
deleted as per Rhys Nolan request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-24 05:10 AM by Denny Graham.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
More progress on the floor pan; drilled a bunch of rivet holes today.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    43.2 KB
image.jpeg

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet (Suspended)
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
1970 CycleKart Custom "Rose"
Hi Chuck .. wow they are looking gd. They look very professionaly made . for fabbing sheet metal for your first time at it .. keep up the good
work your doing over there.cheers

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-17 07:18 AM by Speeddemon.

smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Denny, "turning out tons of things", now, just sounds like a lot of work. You could build your own CNC mill in your shop; Linux CNC (free to download) could control it; Fusion 360 (free to use online) can generate G-code. I sometimes edit code at the mill, but don't need to actually write it anymore. Stop me if I'm just telling you what you already know.

Louis and Luc, thank you for following my project and the kind words.

Tonight, I test fit the mostly completed engine cover. Pics attached.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    37.4 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    37.4 KB
smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I got most of the seat put together last night. It has the character of an ash can, and I like it. It's made from 0.050 aluminum 3003, and weighs about 8 lbs. I've been referring to it as the "Stevenson chaise lounge".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-18 10:59 AM by smallboregarage.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    46.1 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    38 KB
Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Chuck,

This is so ridiculously cool I almost can’t watch. smiling smiley I mean, this is just fun, to me, and here’s why (as if anyone cares smiling smiley):
The car itself is really simple, and in the spirit of the old fashioned build methods, with the wood frame and etc.

BUT, you are going absolutely crazy on the quality and technique of the actual pieces and their fabrication, and you are making all manner of fancy and swank bits that exhibit your skill and care, yet they are all hidden!

This is such a neat machine, as I feel the end product will be such a nice blend of old and new school.

And, by the by, that chaise longue looks Da Bomb! smiling smiley It looks more like a Buck Rogers chair, to me, though. smiling smiley
Seriously, that shape is marvelous, and looks wicked stiff.

I, for one, have ZERO machining experience (I’m a hacksaw and file type guy winking smiley), so any talk about how to set up a setup would be more than welcome. I find this technology/technique fascinating.

Thank you for posting this great project.

Peace,
Robert

P.S. Also, the Grafton is one of my faves. It was the pedal crank steering gear on bottom bracket spindles that did it... I wonder, though, if the wire and bobbin steering troubles on it had/has anything to do with the steering geometry?
Maybe with more careful geometry (Ackerman type stuff, yes, but also wire angles, and etc.) it might be less, erm, iffy? Twitchy? Whatever. smiling smiley

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet (Suspended)
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
1970 CycleKart Custom "Rose"
Hi Chuck the seat /floor pan look great .. Here's a idea how to make that bobbin steering a little less hairy /etc .. and a bit more secure .cheers

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-18 11:43 AM by Speeddemon.

Attachments:
images-73.jpg    9.2 KB
images-73.jpg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Chuck, this is an amazing project and the way you're doing things, it's
bound to come out very light. You're in for a thrilling test drive!

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I am loving it!thumbs up
But, tell me Chuck, did you measure, mark, centre punch, and drill your holes in your seat/floorpan?
Or did you lay them out for a machinate do this task?
And I am with Dave........so far it looks extremely light and may be a real rush to drive!smiling bouncing smiley
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-18 10:52 PM by Woodysrods.

smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Robert, I could post more process and set-up stuff; and I think that I would agree with you, it's more fascinating to see that than finished parts.
Louis, that approach looks good, let's put something like that in the CAD as a place holder until we get to it (see pic attached).
Brian, I chopped those parts out with a shear and bandsaw, center punched, and drilled by hand. I thought that if I needed to change it enough to rebuild it, I would modify the CAD and send it out for laser cutting; But since cutting out the parts was such a small fraction of the time it needed, that I wouldn't want to start all over again; I'll modify and repair what I've got. I do wish that I had taken a little more care when bending the parts. They took a little bit of tweaking to get them all in place.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    24.4 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    35.5 KB
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Unbelievable! What Louis has posted for you is one way, the only thing is that it restricts you to quite a bit less than one turn as the clamps get to interfere with the cable lengths.. Another is to machine a spiral on the "bobbin" for the wires to run in, if you want to slow the steering down. Tim said to run about 1/8" toe in as a start point.

smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Rhys, maybe I can start with something like the attached photo.

I had some time to cut out the dash today, then later, spun a little cup for the engine kill switch. It's made from 0.025" that I annealed a couple of times with a propane torch. Then I used epoxy to affix the two together. That might be it for that; kinda like an old kitchen blender.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    28.6 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    44.4 KB
image.jpeg    34.7 KB
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Your build is of such a quality that I won't post pics of mine!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Vintage

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links