CKC

Custom Karts Forum

Otis Automotis

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

smallboregarage Avatar
smallboregarage Chuck Kraeuter
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Robert, I'm one of the many that follow your pedal car project; thanks for posting.

Tonight, I made the driven pulley for the kart's center belt drive, and for the first time, got to noodle with the driveline. In the past, I've designed assemblies, that while they looked good on paper, couldn't go together; I thought that maybe I'd done it again. The order of assembly did eventually puzzle-out; though the experience left me a little spooked and introspective. When obsessed with a project, I feel like I'll work with it forever; always making it better; never calling it complete; then eventually, deriving great joy from an object so perfect.

But the reality is that I will stop sometime. And it will be far from perfect.

So, I'll let myself enjoy this night more, pat myself on the back for introducing a challenge in my life, and bouncing up against some limits.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    41.7 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    45.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sagitarius Avatar
Sagitarius Santiago Ghisolfo
La Coruña, Galicia, Spain   ESP

S.G.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-11 07:19 AM by Sagitarius.

smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Well, this week I put together a long list of operations that would have to be accomplished before I could drive my kart. There are some big ticket items on that list as well as a multitude of quick jobs, and since I didn't have "big ticket " time, I punched out some little parts.

During lunch, I roughed out a mess of parts that I can turn into wheel hubs, and put some more features into the back side of the oil pump. On Saturday, I made a couple of click dies to trim rubber washers to the correct size. They are turned from acetal, and hold .006" spring steel strips. The dies are squeezed in a bench vise and the washers are clicked out. I used one size as a fuel cap gasket, and the other size for making a snug vibration mount for the engine.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    45.4 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    40.7 KB
image.jpeg    36.4 KB
image.jpeg    45.2 KB
smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I did take one more task off of the list; I ground a chamfer on the backside of each cam follower. That operation removed about 1 gram from a 20 gram part. Just 1 reciprocating gram that won't contribute towards floating a valve. I don't intend to install stiffer valve springs; I'll just use the 10 lb or so stock rate. Maybe it wasn't worth putting on my to-do list, but I to-doed it.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    56.1 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    49.5 KB
smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
What to do about the exhaust? Here are some rambling thoughts: While I do believe that there is power to be squeezed from the pipe, I've never been able to focus long enough,on past projects, to find it. I would fashion up a long shallow cone and weld it to a reasonably sized header pipe; something surely was left on the table, but that approach couldn't hurt. But wait, that has always resulted in a pipe producing a good 100 or so decibels, and I would like to not have to apologize to everyone that asks to hear this one run.

I'll take a crack at a muffler, and the cut-off tray under the bandsaw was the place to start. I think that I have a good workable design, and plan on riveting the outer skin to the innards so that later I might change its volume. If all goes well, I'll learn something.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    32 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    35.5 KB
Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Okay. That seals it.

We MUST be neighbors! smiling smiley I’m guessing I’d have to be the one to move, though, because you have all the neat toys there...

This car is going to be so cool!

Peace,
Robert

P.S. I looked at your Honda. You really are an insane wizard. That bike is crazy cool.

Meanwhile, I’m going to go hacksaw apart a bicycle hub in an attempt to make a steering wheel hub from it. Parallel lives... Hahaha smiling smiley

smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Robert, I'll keep an eye on the local real estate.

Here's Friday night's progress on the muffler; not complete, but I get a big motivational kick from having the unknown bits started.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    29.3 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    22.6 KB
image.jpeg    36.6 KB
smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Saturday evening was spent with the lathe and a keyway broach. It was quiet in the house, so I got to focus on some interference fits.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    42.5 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    41.4 KB
image.jpeg    46.6 KB
image.jpeg    41.9 KB
smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Exhaust flange.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    37.3 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    42.2 KB
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
All of your pieces are works of art.
Keep posting!thumbs up
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links