Custom Karts Forum

Otis Automotis

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Love those hubs Chuck. I know the look you're trying to achieve with your build.
I wish someone would do a run of some custom hubs and offer them up to the consumer.
A hub with the look of the Rudge-Whitworth wheels of the 20's race cars would certainly
set any kart using them apart from the stock Honda CT90 wheels.
I'm simply an observer but I still think you should put whatever parts you can together and
trailer it up to Tieton. It would add a lot of interest to the weekend and set a standard in
workmanship for builders to shoot for.
dg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tom Knight Avatar
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
1911 CycleKart Racing "Yellow Peril"
We used to knurl the piston skirts on the race bikes to try to hold a little oil and slow piston slap.....don't really know if it helped any---but we never seized up any Yamaha/Ossa/Montesa racers....T

smallboregarage Avatar
smallboregarage Chuck Kraeuter
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Denny, I just took a look at those wheels; nice idea, maybe next time around. I guess that a guy would have to start with a casting or a custom extrusion to make those affordable.

Tom, I've never heard of knurling the piston skirt, but it sounds like it would do the trick. I did have a couple of Superhawk engines with a small hole drilled in the front of each cylinder. They feed oil to the skirt; I never could tell if it helped either.

Pics show the current state of the kart.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    47 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    55 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image.jpeg    59.1 KB
Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Yes, casting hub blanks would be the only way those would be practical.
I priced aluminum rounds for billet hubs and the price would be way, way
to much, plus it would really increase the machine time.
As usual, this subject has been covered in the past. Mike Thorpe over in
NZ machined some beautiful billet reproductions of Rudge hubs. Page 7
of his build thread show's how nice they came out. I believe he posted that
he felt that aluminum castings might contain porosity. He says he switched
to steel for the last set but again, pricing a steel round here in the states is
price prohibited.
https://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,7609,page=7
In the end... it appears I'll never find the time to produce anything like those
or the ones you've machined on my 100 year old equipment. So..for the
masses, I guess we're stuck with Honda CT90 wheels.
dg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Hey Denny.
I too dislike the Honda hub look and so far the Kawasaki KX80 wheels I used up front
on the Ferrari have been great. My next will have them all around.

Carty McCartFace Robert J
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Forgive me if I missed it, but are you planning dampers for the front?

I’m unsure if they’re part of the plan, AND I want to see what kind of magnificent whiz bang you produce to fill the need. smiling smiley

Are those Maxxis bicycle tires? They look it. HD mountain bike tires. If so, wonderful. I have tons of experience with their bike tires and they rock. Also, if they are, are they tubeless ready? Any bike rim can be converted to run tubless. Yes, Virginia, even spoked rims. Stan’s Tape is the answer.
The tubless ready tires also tend to have a much beefier bead and sidewall, and tend to hook on and stay seated better.
They roll off less often, as a result, even at lower pressure...

Peace,
Still, Just In Awe. Agog. Dumbstruck.

smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Robert, I don't have a plan for a damper, but I like the idea of adding one. Great input on the tubeless tires; having a stronger bead and heavier sidewall. I doubt that these are tubeless ready since they are 20" BMX tires, but a larger wheel might look better on this kart, somewhere down the road; perhaps a tire made for E-bikes?

Thanks for the link, Denny; stunning industrious work. Dave is on to something with the KX80 wheels; they look the part.

Today, I backtracked and decided to take a different approach for the jackshaft brackets; set the first set aside and made these (pictured).

Attachments:
image.jpeg    53.1 KB
image.jpeg

Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Chuck,

I was just curious if the design had some type of damper. I ascertain this won’t be the most sophisticated suspension, either way. smiling smiley

If those are 20”. I wouldn’t worry, a bit. Those things are beefy. They look larger in the picture, for some reason.
20” wheels and tires are incredibly durable. I don’t ever recall rolling a bead on a BMX sized tire,even with a flat.

Your car looks fantastic.

Peace,
Robert

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Tim Gunn's Grafton has no dampers. The axle/spring mounting is quite primitive (on the Grafton), each spring is on top of the axle with a single bolt passing through the spring and axle. Sometimes supplemented by a leather strap. Of course that means that the castor control is somewhat erratic. FWIW his wheels are period bicycle, 26" by 1 3/4"

smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Rhys, I see what you mean about caster control; it increases guite a bit when I push down on the front end. I guess I'll set the springs to provide about an inch of sag, and set the caster shallow but make sure it doesn't go to zero when the suspension completely unloads. That's about all I know.

Pics show more work today on the jackshaft mounts.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    47.6 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    61.1 KB
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Your jack shaft is brilliant.

Peace,
Robert

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Are there 4 bearings in that jack shaft tube?
Brian

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 33688 by Carty McCartFace Your jack shaft is brilliant.
Peace,
Robert
=================================================
... everything is brilliant, from the computer-made sketches to general construction and all techical details!
Photos are artistic!

Chuck, I will continue to follow and to study your project with a great joy.
Regards,
Zoran

P.S.: What's happened with the first idea and experiments in the construction of opposed-twin engine (boxer-engine) in a style of Sima Violet?
Or something I mixed during a few months...

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 04:27 PM by moto-klasika.

smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Hi Brian, there are 2 bearings; one next to the belt pulley, and the other next to the chain sprocket. The jack shaft is a half shaft. I plan on adding an additional support at the center of that housing later.

Hi Zoran, the Sima-Violet is out in the garage taking up valuable floor and bench space. I hope to get back to it sometime. I switched projects when it got cold outside and I started to noodle around with a new idea in the (warm) workroom I have under the stairs. I'll try and finish this one first; it's smaller, lighter, and more cyclekarty.

The pic' shows the other side of the belt drive. Tonight, I installed a tensioning wheel. The jack shaft slides back and forth to adjust the tension on the chain, then this wheel takes the slack out of the belt.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    40.5 KB
image.jpeg

smallboregarage Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I fit a few more parts together this week, and packed for a 900 mile road trip that includes a stop in Tieton. Pics attached.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    56.2 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    42.3 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links